Tarot & Sexuality Study Group: Ace of Swords

Apocalipstick

Well, here is the thread for the Ace of Swords. I will return with an actual take on this, but in the meantime, the thread is open. :)

Apocalipstick

So the Ace of Swords.

I'm going to use the RWS imagery for this, since most everyone should be familiar with it.

For me, the thing that strikes me most about the card is the combination of sword and crown.

One of the first parallels that comes to my mind is yonilinga, in altered form. (For reference, the actual symbol appears most notably in the RWS on the Chariot card, inside the shield on the chariot itself.)

Basically and briefly, the yoni (the crown, here) has association of birth, creation, being receptive. Just as briefly, the contemplation of the linga, has in some forms of yoga been used to sharply focus the mind to perceive the totality of creation.

Last but not least, the yonilinga is a symbol of male and female united.

Working with the possibilities that sketches out, the Ace of Swords looks like a very sexual card, one that portrays an ultimate form of generative expression.

Taken by itself, this card could show the start of a strong, vigorous relationship, or the beginnings of such a phase. The fact that both the crown and sword are usually emblems of associated with male figures in western history adds a twist, I think.

It can show someone very much in control and confident of sexual expression. Someone who takes no prisoners as it were, and has no problems with various conquests. There is also the suggestion of being domineering - how far this is taken in an intimate context likely depends on the person.

If this card could date, it would call the shots, I think.

Any other thoughts?

funkyfairy

Apocalipstick said:
So the Ace of Swords.

I'm going to use the RWS imagery for this, since most everyone should be familiar with it.

For me, the thing that strikes me most about the card is the combination of sword and crown.

One of the first parallels that comes to my mind is yonilinga, in altered form. (For reference, the actual symbol appears most notably in the RWS on the Chariot card, inside the shield on the chariot itself.)

Basically and briefly, the yoni (the crown, here) has association of birth, creation, being receptive. Just as briefly, the contemplation of the linga, has in some forms of yoga been used to sharply focus the mind to perceive the totality of creation.

Last but not least, the yonilinga is a symbol of male and female united.

Working with the possibilities that sketches out, the Ace of Swords looks like a very sexual card, one that portrays an ultimate form of generative expression.

Taken by itself, this card could show the start of a strong, vigorous relationship, or the beginnings of such a phase. The fact that both the crown and sword are usually emblems of associated with male figures in western history adds a twist, I think.

It can show someone very much in control and confident of sexual expression. Someone who takes no prisoners as it were, and has no problems with various conquests. There is also the suggestion of being domineering - how far this is taken in an intimate context likely depends on the person.

If this card could date, it would call the shots, I think.

Any other thoughts?

I think you've nailed it. I think as a partner you'd never argue with them. If they asked you out on a date they certainly wouldn't take no for an answer. Sexually I think this person would be a little rough for want of a better word and a bit wham bam thank you mam!!! hmmmmm Yes I think this person would be a bit sharp for my tastes LOL.

sweet_intuition

The Ace of Swords is quite a sexual card indeed. However, it's not based on the sensual or romantic aspects of sexuality, but instead, it depicts the 'conquest' and 'dominance' aspect of sexuality.

In a way, this is sheer cold-blooded lust which is quite a powerful force when directed well. It could represent a gruff-rugged, dangerously sexy man that's amply endows conquering over timid young nubile virgins and teaching them a thing or two about the decadent debauched side of life. At times such a man could even go after women of a more mature nature, showing them a thing or two about how youth has it's advantages, as well as, teaching them a thing or two.

However, it's never about the act, it's all about the conquest. Hence a person represented by this card can remain completely emotionally detached while having sex with anyone. In a way it shows someone who'd willingly sleep their way to the top, not for the career prospects, but just to prove to themselves that they could do it.

However, such mannerisms when taken to the excess can bring about the darker side of this card. The once ruggedly handsome man could grow old, lonely, with no one on his side he could truly be with on a soul-emotional level. Other times it could show unwanted pregnancies, leading to further complications. Sometimes even STD's.

In a way the style of sex displayed in this card can be borderline violent. And since it's the element of air, tonns of toys and kinky sex acts are always on the menu. However, when misused, impotence, or infertility are often seen.

Apocalipstick

Interesting, funkyfairy. So you don't see any other aspects to it?

Other decks have different takes on this card. There have to be more ways of looking at this.

Edited to add, great post sweet_intuition!

I agree there is definitely an element of kinkiness with this card, one that I see as centering on mind games. Physical acts would be secondary to the kick someone would get from the psychological aspects of a situation.

funkyfairy

Alternatively you could say this type of man is more interested in intellectual dominance not necessarily dominating physically but mentally, being under ones power. Hes has sex with you to gain power over you in the mental realm, he wants to dominate your thoughts and uses sex to do this. Conversely may he wants a connect in the mental realm ...... any thoughts?

franniee

yes ff I see that too.

I see power, force and brute strength.

funkyfairy

I'm actually quite scared of this person!

Apocalipstick

LOL! What if it's a woman?

funkyfairy

I was just coming back to edit - s'pose I'm a bit off men at the moment lol