Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread

Xrysalida

Look through the old threads and feel free to bump any of them if you have questions about them. Also feel free to try your hand at interpreting the cards used in any of the threads in any or all of the topics. I'll try to post the next thread next week when I have more time (and hopefully will have found the deck I was using at the time by then as I'm still unpacking from moving).

Rodney

Will do yes :)
I hope your un-packing is easy!

Fortuna

One more for your study group, Rodney!

Padma

Rodney, I have a lot of questions as to how to read dignities in triads or Celtic crosses - I understand them in pairs, but understanding them in triplets is something else - and in spreads, something else, yet again! I sure hope you can come back to this after Christmas, and explain how that works! ;)

Also, I was wondering, do you use the old associations of the World, Magician, and the High Priestess being all 4 of the elements?

rwcarter

Rodney, I have a lot of questions as to how to read dignities in triads or Celtic crosses - I understand them in pairs, but understanding them in triplets is something else - and in spreads, something else, yet again! I sure hope you can come back to this after Christmas, and explain how that works! ;)
Take a look at the first 6 exercises(see links in the first post in this thread) to get an idea of how cards can be read in triads, and give it a try yourself.

Also, I was wondering, do you use the old associations of the World, Magician, and the High Priestess being all 4 of the elements?
Never heard of that before, so I guess I'd have to say "No."

Rodney

Padma

do forgive, I hadn't seen the links. Thanks.

laurence

What about earth+earth+fire

earth is neutral with fire but we considered them being friendly with each other.

In that case, earth predomines because they have the majority ( 2 cards over 3), so do they weaken the fire card????

Thanks for your help.

rwcarter

What about earth+earth+fire

earth is neutral with fire but we considered them being friendly with each other.

In that case, earth predomines because they have the majority ( 2 cards over 3), so do they weaken the fire card????

Thanks for your help.

I consider Earth and Fire to be neutral to one another. Traditional Golden Dawn methodology considers them to be friendly to one another. Just because there are two Earth cards, why would they weaken a friendly Fire card?

You have E1E2F. E2 is strengthened by E1 and is either neutral to or strengthened by F. E1 and F are either neutral to one another or they strengthen one another. None of the combinations are weakening.

Even in E1FE2 the F isn't weakened by E1 and/or E2. Instead I'd say that the two Earth cards provide a foundation to the Fire card, strengthening it.

Rodney

Xrysalida

I consider Earth and Fire to be neutral to one another. Traditional Golden Dawn methodology considers them to be friendly to one another. Just because there are two Earth cards, why would they weaken a friendly Fire card?

You have E1E2F. E2 is strengthened by E1 and is either neutral to or strengthened by F. E1 and F are either neutral to one another or they strengthen one another. None of the combinations are weakening.

Even in E1FE2 the F isn't weakened by E1 and/or E2. Instead I'd say that the two Earth cards provide a foundation to the Fire card, strengthening it.

Rodney
SO it doesn't actually matter if the majority is Earth, the cards are read two by two, or does this depends from the way the reader wants to read it? and how do you decide that? :D

ALso why is Judgement connected with fire? I thought it was connected with Pluto = Water

rwcarter

SO it doesn't actually matter if the majority is Earth, the cards are read two by two, or does this depends from the way the reader wants to read it? and how do you decide that? :D
No and Yes or Yes and No depending on how you want to look at it. :) EDs are usually read in triads ABC with the center card being the main focus and the two flanking cards are modifiers that strengthen or weaken the main focus. Within the triad, the cards are NOT read A then B then C, but instead are read B modified by A then modified by C (or B modified by C then modified by A). Whether A or C strengthen or weaken B is determined by the interaction between the pairs of cards BA and BC. If you're looking at a larger number of uneven cards, ABCDE or ABCDEFGHI for example, the interpretations still start with the central card C or E with the triads then being BCD and ACE in the first example and DEF, CEG, BEH and AEI in the second example.

ALso why is Judgement connected with fire? I thought it was connected with Pluto = Water
Judgment is Fire and it is ruled by Pluto, which is Water. I've never bothered to question why, so can't answer that for you.

Xrysalida

If you're looking at a larger number of uneven cards, ABCDE or ABCDEFGHI for example, the interpretations still start with the central card C or E with the triads then being BCD and ACE in the first example and DEF, CEG, BEH and AEI in the second example..
This very intertesting, wouldn't take it at all like this!

Judgment is Fire and it is ruled by Pluto, which is Water. I've never bothered to question why, so can't answer that for you.
I'll search ofr it and maybe astart a thread for it also :)

Thank you for clarifying, I will try some of the examples you have at the thread.