The English Magic Tarot

Le Fanu

As one who really doesn't insist on seeing large portions of the deck before buying, I still think that however hard I try and however many links I click on, I'm really not getting to see much beyond the box and the tiny cards in the borders of the blog.

I have ordered it, I should add, because I'm open to surprises but I honestly don't feel I've seen much beyond the Fool and a few tiny cards. Even on facebook there isn't much. I've tried Instagram too but there's only two images of - er - the Fool.

Oh well, we'll see. I'd like to see a ten card spread laid out that didn't have the Fool in it!

gregory

I'm not laying out 10 cards, but I will do you some with no fool....

Cards are on the wide side, so they may overlap a bit (= she can't be bothered to run TWO scans :)) but still.

It has colour coded suits. I HATE THAT ! But I love the sort of dulled colour scheme.

One HUGE irritation (I have a short fuse, OK ? :D) is that the cards come oriented alternately upright and reversed. This was a major annoyance when checking that they are all there. :)

Here you go...

ETA been looking at the book. Shades of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - I like !

Attachments

• english magic for leffy (436 x 600).jpg
    english magic for leffy (436 x 600).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 260

rylla

Why, oh whhhhy do the borders have to be so thick?! I could live with many decks that have a border(i.e. Kabbalistic Vision) IF the borders would be thinner. I understand that some artists prefer borders, but why to put such a large border? It takes away from the art and distract your attention from the artwork (and reading). Just my view of course.
(however I ordered it too - seeing gregory's attachment - and not reading too much enthusiasm from her post - I'm starting to regret it. Oh, well, when are we going to have a trade train? it can go on my trading list)

gregory

You took that from my post ? I really LIKE it. It has Jonathan Strange vibes, and that is a plus for me, too. I was VERY pissed off having to go through the cards switching the orientation - but that's hardly a reviewable issue.

The majors are borderless, and the borders aren't THAT wide.

rylla

You took that from my post ? I really LIKE it. It has Jonathan Strange vibes, and that is a plus for me, too. I was VERY pissed off having to go through the cards switching the orientation - but that's hardly a reviewable issue.

The majors are borderless, and the borders aren't THAT wide.

Oh, good! Those strange wives - that was what attracted me. It doesn't seem like the usual RWS clone (as much as I could see from a few cards and your post - thanks!).

FLizarraga

For professional reasons (as well as personal preference) I use very large computer monitors, so I never had any problem seeing all the cards in the blog borders. I imagine that it should be hard with smaller displays or if people are using their phones or tablets to visit the website.

What was hard for me was to imagine the coloring, as the aforementioned blog borders are sepia-tinted, so in the beginning I imagined that the deck itself was done in sepia.

They had me at English Magic, though, for historical as well as Clarkean reasons. The moment I saw the thread's name, I knew I was probably going to be several dollars poorer pretty soon... :p

gregory

Cheap and free postage worldwide at bookdepository :)

Le Fanu

Thank you gregory. Much appreciated. I think I'll like it. Those borders bother me too but I suppose it's just to differentiate the suits. It has a peculiar (as in unique), dynamic vibe. I'm very curious about getting it in my hands. Mine is on order from the Book Depository so it'll be quite a few weeks before I get it, even though I had word today that it has been dispatched.

Feels quite blokey - no surprise that three men worked on it. That's not a criticism - far from it - in a world of soft/Gaian/goddess/nymph-like/gentle decks. I like the atmosphere.

FLizarraga

Cheap and free postage worldwide at bookdepository :)

Dirt cheap actually! I couldn't believe their price. Shipping takes forever and a day, at least to the States, but that's a small gripe compared to their prices.

rachelcat

Amazon.com says it will be in stock September 10. Also quite low priced. So I ordered it (along with some must-have oracles . . . :p).

I'm definitely not masculine myself, but I always seem to be drawn to the decks that people describe as masculine . . . I think I just really like simple and straightforward . . . We'll see about this one!