"I know, but what do you think?"

Justatraveler

In my experience, the activity of looking for outside advice or guidance is most often either a roundabout way of validating what we either want or know to be so, or else a way of finding a reason why NOT to do what we already know is the best course of action.

I wonder... is this why it is called ad-vice?

nisaba

I don't know that I agree with your first paragraph at all - usually, when I'm asking for advice (of my cards as much as of people), it indicates a moment or a situation where I'm all Seven cups - I have a number of ways I could go and I'm not sure which seems most ssensible. Also, I'm closer to my own stuff than other people are, and a more distant, objective eye is often a good thing.

Asking for advice does not mean that either I want my own decision validated (I've never made a decision), or that I'm looking for a way out of the necessary work (I'm trying to find out what the necessary work seems to be to other people).

Your question says more about you than about anything else, I think <gentle smile>.

Dusk Till Dawn

The other day, I pulled a card from the Ascendet Masters oracle, which I use every Night ( not because I like it, because it's so accurate, funny sometimes). I asked, if I should stay, or if I should go, and I really wanted to hear : Stay. One Card flew towards me, and it was: Go. Go now. So, I didn't want to hear that, and kept pulling 3 cards, every time the same card.. So, with your Question, that night, I made a mistake, I thought I could use the cards as an Excuse. Now I understand that I didn't want to see , what's necessary. That card helped me clear my mind, pull myself together, and do what is supposed to be done. Like your Mother would talk to you, giving: advice.

red :)

i agree with seeker. i to have tried to use the tarot to validate a thought or idea and had the same experience, i kept getting the same card to.the truth can be harsh but the tarot never shys away from it. it is like a mothers advice .. stern but from the heart.

gregory

Justatraveler - do you mean when YOU ask the cards for advice, or do you mean that others come to readers wanting validation for what they already want to hear....?

Gennai

I hit a really bad patch. I was too close to the situation and too emotional to draw cards on what I should do, although I did draw cards at how to handle the other person at home. I worked a lot with angel cards at the time too to gain a bit of spiritual strength and support. Anyway, I went to a local reader for "ad-vice" (laughing here as the situation, oddly enough, was to do with "vice"!!!

I thought you see I had no choice but to go. I wanted to find out in the reading whether I would be okay in going.

Any way her reading said that I could choose to go or stay - I had the choice after all. I chose to stay. A really sticky 3/4 months followed, and then things got better.

True to her reading about 18 months afterward another situation followed, again a "stay or go" one. Although she gave me I would go on the second Occassion, I stayed.

If it had not been for the reading, I would I think have gone. I was on the point of going that very same day.

So the reading really gave me an insight I never thought was available to me. Sometimes though I do think I need validation and seek a reading on that. Sometimes I do readings to look at my options or simply for avenues of thoughts/inspiration.

evelynblake

I ask my mother for advice on my reading interpretations all the time. (She is the only one I know who reads.) But it's not because I need validation or to confirm what I already think/know, but because sometimes, I just don't receive the message and I need some help getting there. aybe I AM receiving them and I just can't make sense out of them. I think it's because I am really not that good at Tarot, even though I love it.

Oddly, my mother called me the other day and asked me to do her reading. Mind you, she has been reading for decades. I obliged and I threw the cards, and they told me, she already knows the answer to her question. I told her this, and she just got really mad and frustrated. I totally got it. Because I think in some way, she wasn't getting the clarification she needed in her heart. For her sake, I had hoped it was only to validate what she already knew. But I think she really didn't know.

Very often, I will be undecided on something, and will throw the cards hoping they will sway me one way or another. And sometimes I know which way I want it to sway, but more often, I really just need help in the analysis!

I am a new member by the way!

gregory

Ah that sounds like the coin-toss method. If you really can't (or really believe you can't ;)) decide, toss a coin and see if you're disappointed. Works EVERY time !

Major Tom

evelynblake said:
I am a new member by the way!

Welcome to the community. :)

I can vouch for gregory's coin toss method having used it numerous times to help make a decision. ;) It's a method to discover what your heart wants.

minrice

Major Tom said:
Welcome to the community. :)

I can vouch for gregory's coin toss method having used it numerous times to help make a decision. ;) It's a method to discover what your heart wants.

Me too! It is interesting because when you get right down to it you know what you want.
There are some who do use the Tarot to validate whatever they want or are going to do anyway, and there are people you read for who aren't going to listen to anything other than their personal interpretation of the cards. And that's just it, people like that do not truly want advice. I think advice is only advice when the person you're telling it to is receptive. Otherwise it's just noise.