9 of cups, anything BUT a wish....

Sharla

Im trying to look at this card differently than the typical "wish card" most people use it for.

Ive had this card come up in past spreads and one i still have saved on my phone, but looking back now this wasn't talking about a wish.

As its a 9, and this is Hermit card 9. Could this be pointing to wanting to be alone like the hermit ? Like things not panning out like you "wished" so now you just want to be alone.

Im interested to know other peoples experience with this card, and what it has meant to you.

Also ive noticed on the RW card the guy is sat alone but just looks very smug with himself.

pageofswords9110

I often get this card as wishful thinking obtaining something you thought you wanted but it turns out negative. Also if this represents a person it maybe someone who is focused on themselves. Out to get the things that benefit them only.

wisemoonbird

9 of Cups.

How does the 9 of Cups pertain to the querent's question?

Xrysalida

I ve never seen this card as a wish card but rather as lilkei_ said, someone who is focused on themselves, soimg what they want, also I have experienced as someone going out, drinking and having fun, when ill then drinking and being in negative, sad or self destructive mood.

Thirteen

Satisfaction

Im trying to look at this card differently than the typical "wish card" most people use it for.
Like many shortcut terms for certain cards, calling this the "wish" card is really a misnomer. A better word for it would be "satisfaction." That's not quite the same thing as getting what we wish. I can wish to win a championship, but be satisfied if I take part in a great game and, even if we don't win, my team pats me on the back afterwards. What can satisfy us can often be very different from what we thought we wanted/needed. And we can even be surprised at how content we are with what we end up with, as compared to what we dreamed of having.

(A brief, philosophical note here: We should keep in mind the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it." There are many who wish for fame, for example, and are miserable when they have it—no privacy, stalkers, etc. What we think we want isn't always what will satisfy us. So, this card may be better than an actual wish card. It gives us what satisfies us, rather than what we wish for...which might not turn out to satisfy us at all.)

That the meaning of this card is "satisfaction" explains why some view the guy in the card as smug. Because he's satisfied. What we have to remember, however—and this gets back to your connecting the 9 with the Hermit—is that he's satisfied alone. This isn't a card about "smugness" per se, which usually means mocking others with what you have. It's about personal and private contentment. Like a man, back at home by himself, after the lady he's infatuated with has told him that she loves him, too. That leaves you feeling pretty smug, doesn't it? You'll sit there grinning to yourself all night long.

Speaking of which, we should also keep in mind that the suit is cups. A person might want actual things (a car, a winning lottery ticket) in order to feel satisfied, and maybe they'll get such. But they shouldn't expect to with this card. It's not a Pents card, the satisfaction related to the material world. Likely, satisfaction will be emotional. So, someone acknowledging us and all we do for them. Or, yes, someone we have feelings for telling us that they love us back.

Does that help clarify the card?

tarot_quest

I really like your philosophical explanation here!

Without over simplifying, does the 9 of cups refers to the satisfaction of our ''needs'' while the 10 of cups refers to the realization of our wishes?

nisaba

Im interested to know other peoples experience with this card, and what it has meant to you.
The RWS image is an image of greed, smugness, being self-satisfied, and not sharing. Just LOOK at it.

Also ive noticed on the RW card the guy is sat alone but just looks very smug with himself.

Yup. This is nothing new.

Oh, and "wish card" is a far cry from "wish-fulfilment card". I've noticed that billionaires in general are people who aren't happy with what they have, but WISH for more and more. I see that as selfish.

Sharla

I often get this card as wishful thinking obtaining something you thought you wanted but it turns out negative. Also if this represents a person it maybe someone who is focused on themselves. Out to get the things that benefit them only.

Yes this makes more sense in relation to the times ive got this card myself.

Thanks lilkei.

Sharla

How does the 9 of Cups pertain to the querent's question?

Ive not asked a particular question im just trying to look more into what the card could mean.

Sharla

I ve never seen this card as a wish card but rather as lilkei_ said, someone who is focused on themselves, soimg what they want, also I have experienced as someone going out, drinking and having fun, when ill then drinking and being in negative, sad or self destructive mood.

Yes i can see the focused on what they want now especially in the RW deck, the only thing is the deck im using at the moment is legacy of the divine and this is the 9 of cups https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/01/b6/56/01b6567de0918ba83cea35f60388049f.jpg so as you can see theres no indication of smugness, just maybe over indulgence.