Bohemian Gothic Tarot - 4 of Wands

sharpchick

What should be the stability of a solid foundation has become a symbol of oppression. The desire to support and nurture has taken a dark turn, and morphed into harshness, rigidity (look at the man on the roof, standing tall, not trying to hide that he's watching), and control.

The women have been successful in at least some expression of their inner selves - their clothing and the flowers they carry add color to the gray. I think they've made a group decision to get out while the going's good.

When I initially looked at the card, I included the dog as the fourth. . .I think he's going with them.

Thirteen

sharpchick said:
When I initially looked at the card, I included the dog as the fourth. . .I think he's going with them.
A very interesting card. I actually read it as the man being the fourth and I don't think anyone visible is being kept prisoner...yet! ;) Look at how giggly the girls are. They don't seem, to me, like they're scared, or worried, or going to run. They seem quite oblivious to any danger. In fact, in accordance with the card's traditional connection to marriage, I'd read them as preparing the garden for that big moment--or maybe the wedding is over? And it's time for the bride to toss that bouquet and join the groom inside the house? The bride is in the foreground holding the bouquet, another girl holds a decorative garland, all smiles and excitement; they are lost in dreams of a romantic future.

But where is the groom? Gazing down from atop the house. Soon he will carry his bride across that threshold and into his own plans for the future. In accordance with the kind of stories the BG is based on, I have to ask, what hasn't he told her about that house? Or himself?

I don't know if this is what the creators were going for, but once again, I'd say the BG is successful in taking the meaning of this card to another, more complex level. This card seems to be about the foundations people create, and the *plans* they make to develop those foundations. So we have the girls outside, very like the flowers they hold, all in bloom, all in pretty colors and delicate dresses. They see the marriage all blooming and growing from this garden wedding, all romantic and pretty, living and breathing.

Our black-and-white groom, however, gazing down from the rampart roof, is intent on making the brick house with its square towers, square windows, and square chimney, the foundation for the marriage. Nothing romantic in his plans for the future. Nothing delicate or floral or organic.

Given this interpretation, I'd find this a very powerful card to get in a spread. It would indicate to me that the querent had or was creating a foundation for the future, but that their plans for that future, for what they expected to build on that foundation might be either too dreamy and unrealistic, or far too "square" and stifling. The girls are alive and able to grow, but they are also dreamy, delicate and transitory. The groom is solid and has lasting power, but there's no life in the house. Even the dog is outside.

JennyFunk

Thirteen said:
The girls are alive and able to grow, but they are also dreamy, delicate and transitory. The groom is solid and has lasting power, but there's no life in the house. Even the dog is outside.

Thats a take I've not entertained yet. How refreshing. To me I've taken it as the girls are sort of prisoners, being sisters and their father is overlooking them. The dog doesn't seem to frolic with them, I think he senses that they or oppressed, knowing their true feelings. The lady in the blue dress seems to be looking at us, wondering if we know the real situation or not.

Nightgarden

Drew this card on this special night and my first thought was: "These three girls are all the wifes/brides of this man!"
They are falling for his special charme, his magic, his erotic aura...whatever it is.
They under his spell and truly welcome another victim (in this case us, as we looking to them).
Our veins are appreciated by this unholy trinity and they do anything to please their master.

ncefafn

Oh, wow. I like Nightgarden's view of this card. One can almost hear them crying, "Join us! Join us!"

Nightgarden

Oh yes, we will be compelled by that Sirens' enchanting music and voices to enter this house and then...