TAROT APOKALYPSIS, Eric Dunne

crystal dawn

New delivery estimate for the deck and book set 28th July to 3rd August.

Blessings

Crystal dawn

BlueLotus

My mini review:

The cards are much smaller than I expected, and even quite a bit smaller than the Illuminati tarot cards, and there's a black border around the images, where the illuminati is borderless.

This deck-only edition is not gilded, but I can't say if it's the case with the kit edition.

But otherwise, I find all images dream-like and gorgeous, and there's not one card that I dislike.

I also like the variety of suits, and their correspondences*:

- Wands: ancient Egypt
- Swords: the Scandinavian Vikings
- Chalices: classic Greek and Roman civilisations.
- Pentacles: The Khmer Empire of Cambodia

*From the LWB.

crystal dawn

Looking at the pics on Amazon for the deck and book set it doesn't look like the book and deck version has guilded edges (thank goodness as in the illuminati version this caused the cards to stick together) though they do seem to be boarderless. Also looking at some of the scans on Facebook some of the cards seem to have Mayan / Aztec influences.

Blessings

Crystal

Le Fanu

The cards are much smaller than I expected, and even quite a bit smaller than the Illuminati tarot cards, and there's a black border around the images, where the illuminati is borderless.

This deck-only edition is not gilded, but I can't say if it's the case with the kit edition.
It seems to be like the Illuminati - kit edition will be gilded, this version is like the deck only version of the Illuminati - no gilding and very thin black borders.

Theta Choir

It seems to be like the Illuminati - kit edition will be gilded, this version is like the deck only version of the Illuminati - no gilding and very thin black borders.

I'm not thinking so. Earlier in this thread, Erik Dunne posted:

NO GILDING! LOL....unless executed just perfectly every time it can cause all sorts of problems....also not using it allowed for more of the production budget to go towards the hardcover, embossed, full color, epic book! LOL

Not a big deal for me. I do like gilding, but it's not a "must have". :p

Swordflasher

I love Eric's work, and the Illuminatii Tarot is my deck of choice at the moment, but I am going through a longer journey to get to grips with this one. Perhaps that is not surprising given the concept, and I remember having a similar experience working through Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki 's 'ritual magic workbook' many years ago, which similarly mixes several Traditions. There are some very striking images - most of the major arcana and all the court cards are absolutely exceptional - but there also one or two major and several minor cards where the obvious photo-montage technique interferes with connecting to the images as tarot as the 'suspension of disbelief' fails, particularly the Judgement and World cards and some of the pentacle numbered cards.

I thought the Egyptian wands very nicely made and cohesive, the Viking sword cards the same [although I would have preferred an historical sword design rather than a Conanesque one, which jars with me], and the Greek cup cards very, very imaginatively made indeed!

One interesting point - I admit to feeling a bit disappointed when I opened them last night and decided to sell them on without using them, but now I look at them in strong daylight I can see many fine qualities to this deck. I can only see it as a strength that a relationship with a tarot deck takes a bit of work, which would not be the case with another 'same old' rider-waite' clone. My compliments to Eric and his collaborator/s.

earthair

Erik- if you're reading this (loving your work btw) :love:

The squirrel on the Ace of Swords...I have some questions :D

Is it a Happy Squirrel?
Is it hurting its paws?

If the deck in the book+card set isn't gilded, does that mean it's the same, identical to the LoS stand alone deck? Just wondering as I need to save space so I might just buy the book on its own, as I already own the deck.

Theta Choir

Well, dang it. The Amazon delivery date for my deck and book set had already been pushed back to August 10th, which is tomorrow. And now, when I check my orders on Amazon, it says that it still hasn't even shipped yet, though it claims it is due to arrive tomorrow by 8 P.M.

Somehow I don't see that happening.

Grrr. I really hate moving goal posts. Especially without communication.

Edit to add: Of course, it's possible that it *has* shipped, but I just haven't been notified. I shouldn't be so quick to pout. Maybe it *will* be here tomorrow. I suppose we'll see.

Scarlet Woodland

Well, dang it. The Amazon delivery date for my deck and book set had already been pushed back to August 10th, which is tomorrow. And now, when I check my orders on Amazon, it says that it still hasn't even shipped yet, though it claims it is due to arrive tomorrow by 8 P.M.

Somehow I don't see that happening.

Grrr. I really hate moving goal posts. Especially without communication.

Edit to add: Of course, it's possible that it *has* shipped, but I just haven't been notified. I shouldn't be so quick to pout. Maybe it *will* be here tomorrow. I suppose we'll see.

I have an irratinal hatred of moving goalposts too :D I cancelled my pre-order the second time the dates changed cause it was already driving me bonkers... will pick up the set when it really really is out.

Cocobird55

i'm having the same experience with Amazon -- still says i will have it tomorrow. They are usually good about dates, so i'm hoping i will see it tomorrow. if it's going to be here before 8, they aren't sending it through the regular mail. They do seem to be using a lot of same day delivery promises, for extra money, of course.