My Rare German Dark-bordered Margarete Petersen has arrived!!!!!!

Namaste

All the way from Germany, one of the few remaining dark-bordered Margarete Petersen decks is finally in my hands!!!!!

If the light-coloured bordered one was lovely, this one is simply stunning, since the images are more vivid. It's wonderful to be able to put the two decks' cards side by side and read them in conjunction with each other...

I know some of you have both these decks (the English and dark-bordered German). Do you use them together?

contrascarpe

Yay! I am so glad you like it so much (I was afraid you would be disappointed after all the hype I gave it).

Have you noticed how much thicker the deck is when you put it next to the English version?

I know I have mentioned this to you in the past, but I tend to read with the English and then pull the German equivalent. I then meditate on both to see what comes out.

Glad you took the plunge Namaste - have fun with it!

Dan

WolfSpirit

I'm glad you managed to get one, Namaste ! I'm very fond of those dark coloured borders.
I only have the German dark bordered version, I don't think I need a version with light borders - I am certain I would not like it as much as this one.
It would be interesting to see the difference though.

Annabelle

Namaste said:
...If the light-coloured bordered one was lovely, this one is simply stunning, since the images are more vivid. It's wonderful to be able to put the two decks' cards side by side and read them in conjunction with each other...
I have a question...are the images in the German, dark-bordered cards simply appearing more vivid because of the dark borders? Or are the images actually printed in more vivid colors? Is there a difference, then, in printing quality or color brightness between the German and English editions?

I've been wanting a copy of the Petersen deck for some time now, and have been leaning towards the German edition because I liked the looks of it better, but now I am curious to know if there's more difference between the two versions than just the borders.

Namaste

contrascarpe said:
Yay! I am so glad you like it so much (I was afraid you would be disappointed after all the hype I gave it).

Have you noticed how much thicker the deck is when you put it next to the English version?

I know I have mentioned this to you in the past, but I tend to read with the English and then pull the German equivalent. I then meditate on both to see what comes out.

Glad you took the plunge Namaste - have fun with it!

Dan

Thanks, Dan!

I've already placed cards side by side and there is a definite difference.
The deck is much thicker since the box is bigger but the book is the same size as the English one.

It really is lovely deck and so intuitive.

firemaiden

I'm so happy you finally have the German version you so longed for, Namaste.

I love the German deck, but am curious to see the English version. From the one original painting I saw by Margarete Petersen (in an occult store in Berlin), I am pretty sure the English printing is closer in feeling to the original paintings, than the bright colours of the German printing.

The original painting I saw was for the Empress. It was interesting because the painting had so much more landscape all around it that what finally made it onto the card (which is mostly just that odd vagina dentata thing). In the original painting the woman with the vagina dentata, took up only about one-eighth of the entire picture, to show you how much more landscape there was. And the colours, as I mentioned above, were very much more muted and pastel.

Namaste

firemaiden said:
I'm so happy you finally have the German version you so longed for, Namaste.

I love the German deck, but am curious to see the English version. From the one original painting I saw by Margarete Petersen (in an occult store in Berlin), I am pretty sure the English printing is closer in feeling to the original paintings, than the bright colours of the German printing.

The original painting I saw was for the Empress. It was interesting because the painting had so much more landscape all around it that what finally made it onto the card (which is mostly just that odd vagina dentata thing). In the original painting the woman with the vagina dentata, took up only about one-eighth of the entire picture, to show you how much more landscape there was. And the colours, as I mentioned above, were very much more muted and pastel.

Thank you, Firemaiden! :D It took some doing and was frightfully expensive, but I think it is worth it, especially since I can place the cards of the two decks side by side, like Dan does, and experience them in a different way. When I first got the English printing, I was a little disappointed, given that I gleaned my first impression of these cards from this extraordinary site:

http://www.lapalmagaleria.info/arte/matrix.php3?basis=tarot&lang=

Now, I admit that each of these decks seems to work differently on my intuition (psyche, even). It's a though, intuitively speaking, they are two completely separate decks. I am not usually one to comment too much on the accompanying LWBs of any tarot, but I have to say that Petersen's text, which accompanies each of her minor arcana, is among the best and most useful I have encountered. Have you found that, too? Or do you just approach your Margarete Petersen intuitively and let the images speak for themselves, without ever turning to the accompanying booklet?

I would give much to see Petersen's actual paintings!

As to the Empress and her gigantic vagina, I am so glad I am not the only person who picked up on that blatant image in this card. I think this Empress could do with a little more background. I find that although the cards are of a good size, they would be spectacular if they were much larger. I know many don't like big cards, but I confess to a partiality to them because of the greater detail and impact that the larger images have on the imagination.

I realize that these cards take time. I only do one card or three card readings with this deck and sit looking at them longer than I ever have for any of my other tarots. I get the sense that these image operate primarily on the unconscious mind, much like a Zen koan. I am taken with Petersen's frequent reference to non-doing, which reminds me immediately of the Taoist concept of wu-wei. What is your take on this? :)

Myrrha

Congratulations, Namaste! What a treasure. I've only seen scans but the German version does look more beautiful.
--Myrrha

Namaste

Myrrha said:
Congratulations, Namaste! What a treasure. I've only seen scans but the German version does look more beautiful.
--Myrrha

Thank you, Myrrha. :D

I seem to have been very blessed these past few weeks, what with trades, gifts and pre-ordered decks that all arrived at once.

The dark borders and the more saturated hues do lend this deck another dimmension.

starsongs

(((((((((((((Namaste))))))))))))),

Congratulations!! The Margarete Petersen is sooo beautiful. May these 2 versions give you many years of pleasure and insight :D

love,
starsongs