What was the first deck that made tarot sing for you?

bladeraven

the Radiant Rider Waite did it for me and then I was given the Osho Zen and I was floating

Sulis

It was the World Spirit deck for me.

Tried Robin Wood and Elen Cannon-Reed's Witches tarot before that. Hated them both.

I got a basic grasp of the cards with the New Palladini but really clicked with World Spirit. I've just dug it out and started really using it again after a bit of a break. Still think it's an excellent deck.

Love

Sulis xx

Sophie

It's interesting reading these responses. I wonder how many of us still read (or read regularly) with the first deck that made us sing? Isn't it a bit like the first lover that made us... }) ?

Now taking a step back, I see my tarot path like this: first I discovered tarot, which in and of itself was wonderful. Then I met the first deck that made tarot sing for me - the Mythic. Later, I met the Thoth, and that was another stage - another singing plateau :). And a few months ago I met the Marseille, and that again, was another Orpheus.

Along the way, I have discovered other good singers: the Tarot of Prague, the DruidCraft, the Sakki-sakki, and recently, the Alchemical. Each of them sing a different tune and satisfy my multi-musical soul. But the stages I spoke of above -Tarot (RWS - like learning notes and the scale) - Mythic - Thoth - Marseille have all brought me to greater and wider use of my Tarot voice - have led me closer to the gods...

(firemaiden might find a better way of expressing this - fm, where are you? ;))

Cerulean

I sometimes see a deck kind of come alive...I saw this

1)....first with the Ashkroft-Norwicki deck. My love doesn't read tarot, but the Shakesperean with it's phrases underneath small pictures seemed to be illustrations that 'spoke' like words of a Bard in a dream...did you ever see scenes come alive in your mind's eye, when a sentence is read aloud?

This happened a couple of times when he handled the deck:

http://www.tarotpassages.com/shakespearean-ec.htm

I have to say this is kind of uncanny, because sometimes Shakesperean characters to me are a bit over-the-top (as if Italian romantic poetry and history wasn't--they are, of course). However the scenes in this deck really look like stage settings, an entry of thought and dream spun together--complete with shadows and footlights.

I pulled out my copy and drew the Nine of Crowns.

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act" from King Henry the Fifth. If a deck has a voice, this one does.

2. Secrets Tarot does this to me, when listening to Phantom of the Opera. Beautiful oddness, but it is a theatrical song-lit deck, in my opinion, and quite a fantasy.

Thanks for the question.

Cerulean

P.S. The Shakesperean was my first used bookstore find two years ago. The Secrets Tarot was my first odd modern deck without a literary or art theme, I think it's about five or six years old.

Annabelle

For me it was Robert Place's Alchemical tarot, although I don't read with it often these days. The deck that currently sings the loudest to me is the Druidcraft :).

light2000

The first tarot that sang to me was RWS, now is Visconti.

firemaiden

Helvetica said:
(firemaiden might find a better way of expressing this - fm, where are you? ;))

My dear Helvetica, I couldn't possibly have put it better than you :)

I was just thinking about how my first deck, the Thoth, still sings to me the most. I just did a reading with it today, and though it smells horribly of smoke (how? from the engine room on the ship, when it got shipped home from Berlin?) - and is only a midget size, I still find the images insondable in depth. (Someone will have to translate that for me... unfathomable, perhaps, un-plumbable... meaning there are ever deeper and deeper riches to mine, and we can never get to the bottom of it).

I pulled the Moon card today and the Queen of Cups, and in both these cards I just marvel at the play of light and reflections, and how you can reverse these cards, and still see a sort of upright image, because of the reflections in the pool - and all metaphorical possibilities of that... on and on, I could probably write 20 pages just on those two cards...

P.S. I am also finding the Inner Child Cards to sing to me particularly loudly. Each card is based upon a fairy tale - and of course fairy tales are practically inalienable structures of the psyche.

OakDragon

The first deck that made tarot sing for me was the Röhrig, which also happened to be my first deck. It has a lovely voice all its own, rich and mystical, beautiful and mysterious. It still sings to me whenever I use it. :)

Zephyros

It was my third deck. I started with the US Games Oswald Wirth, and I didn't like it, and it was a pips deck in any case. When I bought it, I didn't know anything about Tarot, and I thought they were all alike. Wrong I was!

My second deck was the RWS, which I didn't really connect to. I saw the "meanings" but couldn't make it talk for me.

Then, I got the Morgan Greer, which is still my favorite. It is like an old friend, say it all but in a kind way. That is the deck that really "sang" for me the first time.

Since then I've gotten others, like the Thoth, but it speaks in a different way, deep and resonous.

Sophie

OakDragon said:
The first deck that made tarot sing for me was the Röhrig, which also happened to be my first deck. It has a lovely voice all its own, rich and mystical, beautiful and mysterious. It still sings to me whenever I use it. :)
Isn't it wonderful? I find it sings in many voices, high and low, all different types of music - I sometimes hear old Weill songs with it, sometimes German punk rock, sometimes a folk tune, sometimes a Romantic lied - it varies. Or a wordless melody, heard on the wind or flowing, like a lake...it's beguiling.

Firemaiden - the Thoth is indeed insondable (well transated!). I had accidentally-on-purpose lost my deck some years ago, but your tuneful defense of it and its maker made me acquire another...I'm glad I did.

Cerulean - how evocative! The bard alive - I must see that :)