What was the first deck that made tarot sing for you?

OakDragon

Helvetica said:
Isn't it wonderful? I find it sings in many voices, high and low, all different types of music - I sometimes hear old Weill songs with it, sometimes German punk rock, sometimes a folk tune, sometimes a Romantic lied - it varies. Or a wordless melody, heard on the wind or flowing, like a lake...it's beguiling.

*nods*

That's the Röhrig exactly! :)

breathlessmahoney

What a wonderful thread!! It really made me think. My first deck, the Ancestral Path, really sang for me. Looking at it I get lost in it. Sometimes I hear a really haunting bagpipe melody played over the hills and sometimes it's like an mezzo showstopper from a broadway show building up to the climax. After that, the next deck that really sang to me was the Gothic Tarot of Vampires, my fifth deck. It sings like a quiet baritone or bass. I kind of rumbles deep inside of you.

Owl Song

For me it was the Radiant Rider Waite. I had shied away from RWS; I was turned off by the thick lines and unappealing colors. Using the Radiant RW felt for me the same way I felt as a child when watching Dorothy step from the sepia tones of Kansas to the myriad colors in Oz. I felt inspired in the literal sense of the word "to breathe life into." Tarot came alive for me then, bursting into the radiant beauty of a Chopin waltz. I still read with my Radiant; it is like an old friend. Although I did have other decks before it, in a big sense it was my first deck--the first one where things began to come together.

Moonchild1721

Wild Spirit Tarot

It wasn't my first deck, but the Wild Spirit Tarot was the first one that sang for me.

HearthCricket

For me it was my third deck-The Sacred Rose Tarot. The Swiss IJJ and the RW didn't click for me, but this one I picked out at a New Age store, which allowed you to look at the entire deck. I liked the packaging (only had LWB) and loved the jewel colours throughout the deck. Then I started reading from it and basically got "wowed" from it all. And that is how I really got hooked into tarot.

lunascorpio

This is my short little story.

The first decks I saw when I was a child were the Marseilles (my aunt's) and the Rider Waite. I didn't own any of them at the time.

Later, I had the chance to work with the Osho Zen and it was love at first sight for me (it was 1997, I think); however, the only deck that I liked and I could afford then was the RWS, and I really wanted to learn about tarot, so I got the Rider. But inside, I was dying to get the OZ.

I bought it this year. I feel it's the longest time I've had to wait for anything, but it's worth the waiting. I've had the most insightful work with it, and I love the images, the art, the vibrant colors. Lovely.

Hugs.
LS.

Phantom Goddess

The Gothic Tarot by J. Vargo sang for me, even before I opend the package. I still love the deck.

Cerulean

Guess what...after an experiment...

...it turns out early in the morning or afternoon, I'm feeling bright and chirpy, the Norwicki Shakespearean is quite enticing and curious and has some sweet birdy voices...

...but after three exercise readings later in a group meeting that day, I'm tired and don't want any reading assignments from the chirpy deck anymore.

So I pull out the Secret Forest and there are no words, just the sounds and scene of winged and wordless music. Even the look of a winged sylph falling in a natural setting, a Tower card, is not dire...it reflects my confusion and advises to put away the cards for awhile, because I am tired.

And so we all took a break and just walked and talked. We enjoyed the summery flow of twilight and shadows as the flow of energy wanes in the day.

Best regards,

Cerulean

SunChariot

It was my first also, the Haindl Tarot. It was a bit of work to learn, as it was not a traditional one to start on, but I always loved the artwork. And it has so much info beside the images, Hebrew letters, I- Ching symbols, Zodiac signs, Runes....I was immediately fascinated both with the deck and with its philosophy which I find very beautiful. The I-Chings on the cards have always been phenomenally accurate for me.

And I am currently learning Runes, so I have no doubt that once I have learnt more about them that will add even more to my Haindl readings for the cards with Runes.

Bar

MercyMe

The first deck that sang for me was the Hudes. Softly, somewhat mournfully she sang. I felt carried into her song, I could feel the meaning, see it, hear it. She still sings for me even though I have since heard other decks sing now, too. But it was she who first carried me away on the tunes of tarot.

~Mercy