Tarot of Atlantis

goddesscarlie

Well, I just recieved this in the mail... and wow! I bought this on a whim - I hadn't seen very many cards, but something in me had to get it. I'm glad I did.

THis deck overall feels very masculine. I'm a very feminine person, so the masculinity just jumps out at me (not saying this is a bad or good thing, just an observation). Most scenes depict men, there are very few women in the cards. It looks like the medium of the paintings were water colours, which suits the theme very much.

The Majors

These are just my initial thoughts, I haven't had time to really analyse them... But wow! These aren't just people sitting in chairs, etc, these are full scenes with lots of detail. Some of the interpretations of the cards are different, but from the detail presented, I do not think I'd have a problem reading most of the cards. They are:

0 - The Fool - The Poet
1 - The Magician - The priest
2 - The High Priestess - The mother goddess
3 - The Empress - Antinea
4 - THe Emperor - Poseidon
5 - The Hierophant - Melkart
6 - The Lovers - The Fighters
7 - The Chariot - The Ship
8 - Justice - The SHardana Warriors
9 - The Hermit - The Wise man
10 - The Wheel - THe city of five rings
11 - Strength - The amazon
12 - The Hanged man - The merchant
13 - Death - the mother of the warrior
14 - Temerance - The plain
15 - The Devil - The Leviathan
16 - The Tower - THe fortress
17 - The Stars - The astronomer
18 - The moon - The dancers
19 - The sun - The pillars of Hercules
20 - Judgement - The earthquake
21 - The World - The sea.

So yes, some of the cards are a little different!
I'm not an expert on the Atlantis myth, so I have a little research ahead of me, but I don't mind :D

SOME of my favourites are:

The Emperor
Posiedon, holding his trident, surgeing out of the water. Infront of him on a cliff is a goat. The waves around him are crashing, you can just feel his power.
The Hermit
An old man holding up a stick of fire. Around him are children, listening to his stories.
Strength
I think this is a woman on horse back, aiming her bow and arrow at the sillohette of a dear on a hill.
The Tower
A small fortress on a cliff, with a tsunami heading right for it. The sky is dark and cloudy.
The Moon
Perhaps my favourite! Women dancing at night around a large stone. I can really feel the feminine energy of this card.

Emeraldgirl

I have this deck also and I also think that the moon card is one of my faves. The other is the Wheel which is set as a bird's eye view of Atlantis.

goddesscarlie

Cups

To continue my little review here, I'll move onto the cups. (still cannot get over how much detail is in these images!)

The ace of chalices is really beautiful. One of my favourite cards in the deck - it is also very feminine, which is probably why I connect with it! It shows a pregnant woman sipping from a cup.

The second of cups sets the scene for the rest of the cups - they are a little um... well. It is a picture of a man and a woman naked on the top of a roof. THey are lying down on a rug, the man holding up a cup as they look into each other's eyes.

It all moves along nicely til the 5 of cups... What do we have here, you ask? It looks like a party! Not a party that I've been to! There are men and women drinking and um... naked women sitting in men's laps. Yes. THere is nudity, but it is mainly just topless women. An interesting card.

THe six of cups is also interesting... An oldman watching two lovers. I'm not sure if he is surprised at what he is seeing, or happy...

The only other risque card is the 10 of chalices, which is similar to the 5 of cups. Where the 5 of cups was red with passion, this one is coloured in a more sensual blue/purple.

So this deck isn't for people who don't like that kind of stuff, just a warning. It really is a beautiful and detailed deck though!!!

goddesscarlie

And now onto the last thing of note about this deck... tHe court cards. THese can be something I have trouble with, but these cards are amazing! It's not just people on throwns or horses, etc. Full, detailed scenes! I love it. Some favourites:

Knight of Chalices
A man on a horse, holding up a cup, to his lover who looks down from a window.

Queen of Wands
A woman suckling her child. In the background is the statue from the empress card.

Thanks for listening to me rant and rave about this deck! I was a bit nervous about it, as I said, because I didn't know much about this deck, but now I'm glad I got it. :D

MareSaturni

Oh, goddesscarlie...i had never seen this deck. Do you know where i can find some pictures? You made me real curious :)

Thank you!

:TPW Yuko

Cerulean

Two links, majors summary if it helps you...

I posted this last year in another thread, but thought this might be of interest.

This is a free text of Plato's story of Atlantis in metaphoric description of an organized, ancient society. In my brief essay collection, this is from supposedly an ancient story told to Solon, a great-grandfather of Plato's friend.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/critias.txt

2. I have excerpts of this from an archeology book by J.V. Luce who believes it might be a myth surrounding populations from early Crete in 1450 BC....it adds context and is fun for me.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=29060&highlight=atlantis

3. Rough preview of a review (I never completed the review)

The notes of the majors are culled from various sources, not really in the little white book. It's been awhile since I've been able to return to this deck, which I like a great deal as a new study theme.

I was able to do a good reading for myself using the spread in the LWB, but my review centers on suggestions for those who would like a little more detail on the Atlantis myths and perhaps would want to do storytelling.

I trust those who use these notes--with my biases--will tell me if they are helpful or need correction--these are rough and not all the majors have information yet. I also trust everyone who works with this deck and starts their own research will be able to build and weave their own ideas...and I trust your honesty in the fact the myths or slants may be at odds with your own.

And yes, I plan to do a great deal more research and editing--I am hopeful these suggestions are not offensive to others who enjoy this deck.

Regards,

Cerulean

Tarot of Atlantis

What a rich storytelling theme! My take on this deck is a lingering delight--one could spend a century or two looking at all the writers and creative artists who were captured with the visions of an ideal Utopian society.

The few free texts that I wandered around start with Plato, touch on Francis Bacon, and Ignatius Donnelly. In more contemporary times, one can look at speculative archeology to the science fiction and fantasy stories of writers such as Marian Zimmer Bradley. There's a whole range of movies regarding Hercules and Queen Antinea and the fall of Atlantis in the twentieth century.

I like the six pages of the tarot's summary where they suggest that Atlantis grew from Mediterranean mythologies in the areas surrounding the Pillars of Hercules. You can choose your own sources and origins, but I like the J.V. Luce's Lost Atlantis that looks at the idea of Atlantis might spring from a volcanic catastrophe from Thera--he compares it to theories about Atlantis mythology springing from Minoan Crete. I'm very new to these stories and ideas, so forgive me if my take is too simplistic.

This tarot has many twists that come from a publisher that has brought to market many creative, comic and historic Italian tarot decks. So the meanings and order of cards in this deck to me reflects their creativity and an Italianate style, not a standard French, English or American twentieth/twenty-first century accent.

Here are the majors:

Fool-Poet
The story of the Isle of Atlantis first occurs in Plato's two dialogs the "Timaeus" and the "Critias." Plato's story centers on Solon, a great Greek legislator and poet who journeyed to Egypt some 150 years earlier.

Magician-Priest
While in the Egyptian city of Sais, Solon received the story of Atlantis from priests. The priests respected Solon's reputation and cordially welcomed him.

High Priestess-Mother Goddess
The god Poseidon received Atlantis, an island larger the Libya and Asia combined. He chose for a wife the mortal woman Cleito, and with her begun the royal family of Atlantis. Cleito bore Poseidon ten sons, five sets of boys.

Empress-Antinea

L'Atlantida (1920)
French silent directed by Jacques Feyder. Based on the 1919 novel by Pierre Benoit. about the survival of Atlantis underneath the Sahara, discovered by two Foreign Legionaires (Jean Angelo & Georges Melchior) who must contend with the immortal Atlantean queen Antinea (Stacia Napierkowska), who has kept all her mummified husbands.

The novel L'Atlantide is a classic “lost race” novel. It was published in two separate translations in 1920: in the U.S. as Atlantida and in England as Atlantis. Benoit’s novel was both very popular and very controversial, as Queen Antinea is closely modeled on H. Rider Haggard’s She and the plot is drawn from Haggard's novel The Yellow God (1908).

Emporer-Poseidon
According to Solon's notes the history of Atlantis began at the beginning of time. The gods divided the world among themselves and each ruled their proportion. The god Poseidon received Atlantis, an island larger the Libya and Asia combined.

Hierophant-Melkart
These two pillars closely evoke the two "Pillars of Hercules" that were the central feature of the Phoenician temples of Baal Melkart. Baal Melkart, "the Lord of the City", was the alias and archetype of both Hercules and Atlas, the two deities commemorated by the twin pillars of the Phoenician temples.

Lovers-Fighters
Military Forces
10 000 war chariots, 1200 warships with crew, 120 000 horses, 60 000 units of carriage and pair with warriors and charioteers, 120 000 heavily armed fighters, 120 000 archers 180 000 stone and javelin throwers. The listing above only describes the military forces of the central kingdom. There were nine other states.

Chariot-Ship
Who Were the Sea People
by Robert Anderson

The Sea People, who we are told of on reliefs at Medinet Habu and Karnak, as well as from the text of the Great Harris Papyrus (now in the British Museum), are said to be a loose confederation of people originating in the eastern Mediterranean. From their individual names, we believe that they may specifically have come from the Aegean and Asia Minor. However, regardless of their organization as a "loose confederation", they did manage to invade Egypt's northern coast and apparently mounted campaigns against the Egyptians on more than one occasion.

The 12th century brought dramatic changes that permanently affected Asia Minor and the civilized world of that time. Between 1200 and 1176 BC, the chaos that occurred in that region was probably a direct outcome of Sea People activity, and may be one reason why we find it difficult to find historical documentation beyond that date in Asia Minor.

Justice-Shardana Warriors
Robert Anderson's text continued:
We actually believe that the Sea People became active as early as the reign of Akhenaten. These were probably the Denen, Lukka and Sherden. The Lukka and Sherden are also recorded, along with the Peleset as serving as mercenaries in the army of Ramesses II, especially at the Battle of Qadesh. In fact, Ramesses II had earlier been forced to defend himself against attempts by the Sherden to establish a chain of efforts to the west of Egypt. They had arrived in that area almost a century earlier, and are said to have included the Libu, who would eventually give their name to Libya. An inscription of Ramses II relates in the 8th year of his reign (which is dated c. 1176 BC):

Hermit-Wise Man

Wheel-City of Five Rings
Poseidon built Cleito's home on a high hill at the very center of the island. The home overlooked a fertile plain bordered by the sea. For his beloved wife's protection Poseidon surrounded her house with five concentric rings of water and land. He carved the rings with the ease and skill of a god. He made hot and cold springs come from the earth. With the development of a future city his descendants never lacked for water.

Strength-Amazon
Amazons carried shields inlaid with solid gold that shined a brightness unto the sun. Their favorite weapons were the doubleheaded silver axe and silver bow with golden arrows. They rode horseback or chariots. Their dress was the short tunic with brass or bronze anklets that rose to the knee which was very beautiful and bright. The Amazon Warrior had a systematic yell like a battle cry.

The Amazons both female and male were said to be the most beautiful and fiercest people of all the earth. According to ancient stories the Amazons were blessed by the heavens and the universe. The were given 7 Golden Horses as a remembrance of being the offspring of Aries.

Hanged Man-Merchant
Economy
Ore mining, gold mining, forestry, farming, shipyards, irrigation systems, bridge-building, plantations, architecture, colonial economy.

Death-Mother of the Warrior

Temperance-the Plain
Atlas the first son of the first set of twins, was made king over the vast territory by his father. His brothers were appointed princes and each ruled over a large section of the territory that was distributed to him. The most valuable section of the kingdom remained his mother's home on the hilltop and the land surrounding it. This was given to Atlas. Atlas himself had many sons, with the succession of the throne always passing to the eldest son.

Devil-the Leviathan

Tower-Fortress
Tthe royal palace near the original home of Poseidon and Cleito. Each succeeding king tried to out do his predecessor in building a greater kingdom. Finally the splendid city Metropolis and the outer city of Atlantis existed behind a great outer wall.

Stars-Astronomer

Moon-Dancers
The Amazon Empires consisted of both men and women and were ruled by the Queens. Cybele and Rhea (later known as Artemis) are associated with the moon and protectors of all animals. Even though Cybele and Rhea are still contained in obscure references pertaining to the Greek Gods, historically Cybele and Rhea predates Greece.

Sun-Pillars of Hercules
In front of Solomon's temple stood the two huge pillars of bronze called Jachin and Boaz. These two pillars closely evoke the two "Pillars of Hercules" that were the central feature of the Phoenician temples of Baal Melkart. Baal Melkart, "the Lord of the City", was the alias and archetype of both Hercules and Atlas, the two deities commemorated by the twin pillars of the Phoenician temples. These twin pillars represent the strait that led into Paradise, similar to how the Phoenicians posted in the temples passageways to honor Hercules (Baal Melkart), their supreme lord and patron of navigants.

Judgement-Earthquake
As long as they judged and lived by Poseidon's laws they and the kingdom prospered. When the laws began to be forgotten, trouble began. More of the rulers eventually began marrying mortals and started acting like foolish humans. Soon pride overtook the rulers, who soon began grasping for greater power. They had abandoned the laws of the gods and acted in an evil coalition as men. Zeus assembled all the gods of Olympus to pronounce judgment on Atlantis. This is where Plato's story stops.

To collaborate this 900 year theory there is geological evidence showing that roughly about 1500 BCE there was a gigantic volcanic eruption which caused half of the island to sink into the sea. A lost city has been said to have sunk in the Bay of Naples. At the time several rich and luxurious seaside resorts were located in the area. In the retelling of the story of Atlantis it is easy to see how one of these cities could be associated with it. .

World-Sea
For generations Atlantis remained peaceful and prospered. Almost all of the population's needs were met from the island's mines, fields and forests. Anything that the kingdom did not produce was imported. This was possible because a channel was built which transversed all the rings from the ocean to the center of the kingdom, or the acropolis.

Hope this works for you as well.

Regards,

Cerulean

Simone

I like the deck for its unusual attribution of themes to the suits...

It is the one deck where I like the minors better than the majors :D

I particularly like how the wands are attributed to everything spiritual, religious, to belief systems, rituals...

the pentacles are for business life and relationships to money

the swords are represented by warriors, war, defending of territory, fighting for a cause

and the cups to leisure, love, celebrating, enjoying life

I really like the deck, and readings with it has proved very insightful so far to me :D

hope you enjoy your deck as much as I do.