Lazzarelli: a Pythagorean diversion

Huck

Lothar has made an interesting find, a Martianus Capella edition which contains pictures with partly strong similarities to the Mantegna Tarocchi.

We have arranged a website, at which the both picture programs - Mantegna Tarocchi and the artes liberalis from the mentioned Martianus Capella-text - can compared directly.

The similarities are STRIKING in two cases, in 4 others at least near. In one case they do not exist, the Martianus Capella painter chose Astronomia, which doesn't exist in the Mantegna Tarocchi.

http://trionfi.com/0/g/91/

We consider this as important, perhaps it's a way to prove or at least to make plausible, that the Mantegna Tarocchi developed later than the
Lazzarelli concept. In the current state we do not know enough about the text.

John Meador

Lazzarelli lunacy (beware: full moon thoughts)

I had wondered if Martianus Capella (which I still haven't read) was inspiration rather than Albricus. Of course that reaffirms my suspicions that Lazzarelli's poem holds Hermetic freight. Lazzarelli makes a frequent analogy throughout the poem/song between his poem/song and "his ship".... wasn't there some connection between "ship" and tarocchi as card game- it eludes me now...

Re Cabala and or Hebrew<27 letters>:
Lazzarelli has Calliope (lines 15ff) exalt David & his lyre (who "worshipped us" = Musae) and the Jews above Athenians, and asserts Moses had the Musae as attendants. Lazzarelli seems to consider his own poem/song a kind of psalm.

re:the elegance of his poetic structure-
line ~95
"I pray that it will be well-known that I have labored on this slight little book, and while its age increases its genius increases also."
-He seems confident.

line ~125: "It is the duty of poets to write the truth in symbolic forms..."

Polyhymnia's ("She of Many Hymns" muse of Sacred Poetry) recollection (in the Prime Cause section) suggests Lazzarelli had committed his poem/song to memory.
"Remember what I speak proceeds according to your prayers. After the cloud has been removed, not alone do you know the blessed way of the eternal religion."

Are the complete Lazzarelli illustrations displayed in any accessible exhibit/text?
Perhaps a study of the pictures has been written at some point?
Lazzarelli says: "I seek the forms and likenesses of the ancient gods and assign painters for these portraits in sound."

While the 10-2-10+5 structure is apparent in the text, may other structures co-exist to facilitate performance of song or provide internal dynamics?

-John

Huck

John Meador said:
I had wondered if Martianus Capella (which I still haven't read) was inspiration rather than Albricus. Of course that reaffirms my suspicions that Lazzarelli's poem holds Hermetic freight. Lazzarelli makes a frequent analogy throughout the poem/song between his poem/song and "his ship".... wasn't there some connection between "ship" and tarocchi as card game- it eludes me now...
There is a clear relationship between Ship and Fools .. :), but joke aside, it existed "Trionfi" (triumphal processions) with ships, at least in Venice. And perhaps Ship of Fools had the conscious intention to caricature another contemporary habit. It seems natural for the carnival groups of Basel to make jokes about Italian habits.

Re Cabala and or Hebrew<27 letters>:
Lazzarelli has Calliope (lines 15ff) exalt David & his lyre (who "worshipped us" = Musae) and the Jews above Athenians, and asserts Moses had the Musae as attendants. Lazzarelli seems to consider his own poem/song a kind of psalm.

Lazzarelli had the essential problem of any author, that is to fill white paper with latters. As he had a picture program to describe, he had to carry material together to his object. The muses are short of stuff.

re:the elegance of his poetic structure-
line ~95
"I pray that it will be well-known that I have labored on this slight little book, and while its age increases its genius increases also."
-He seems confident.

He just hopes to become a little famous with his work - he did on a small scale, we remember him, but most don't know his name ... :)

line ~125: "It is the duty of poets to write the truth in symbolic forms..."

Polyhymnia's ("She of Many Hymns" muse of Sacred Poetry) recollection (in the Prime Cause section) suggests Lazzarelli had committed his poem/song to memory.
"Remember what I speak proceeds according to your prayers. After the cloud has been removed, not alone do you know the blessed way of the eternal religion."

Are the complete Lazzarelli illustrations displayed in any accessible exhibit/text?

Not to my knowlege. There is Kaplan, there is a Kronos, which we show at

http://trionfi.com/0/j/mant/

there are 4 small others.

Perhaps a study of the pictures has been written at some point?

Lazzarelli says: "I seek the forms and likenesses of the ancient gods and assign painters for these portraits in sound."

While the 10-2-10+5 structure is apparent in the text, may other structures co-exist to facilitate performance of song or provide internal dynamics?

-John

He found the pictures in a book-store, but not necessarily all of them. In the Capella manuscript they are transmuted to bookpaintings. Perhaps the pictures from the bookstore were also book-paintings. We look with a the Lazzarelli-text inside a creative process, in which a lot of things are possible - as every time, when you decide: "I make a book or a product". At the end of this process the Mantegna-Tarot was created (that's the hypothesis) and this became famous. The Lazzarelli text and all "other preparations" became forgotten - as usual. Not completely, but an existence in the Vatican library is not a guarantee for many readers.

John Meador

musings

Hi Huck,
I'm having trouble with that link you listed.

"The Visconti-Sforza and the other ‘new nationalists’ of Italy are very keen on things Etruscan."
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/services/library/collections/archives/int/ddonovan.html

"The passage where Martianus Capella (1, 45-60) describes a pantheon in sixteen regions is considered one of the major documents on Etruscan religion and is compared, since C. Thulin (1906), with the bronze liver of Piacenza, whose circomference is divided in sixteen spaces."
http://rhr.revues.org/document1203.html

" The first two books of the work recount the wedding of the nymph, Philogia, to Mercury, messenger of the gods. The gods are summoned by Jupiter from out of the sixteen regions of the sky and are invited to attend the wedding. As a present, Philogia is given the seven liberal arts, grammar, rhetoric, dialectic, arithmetic, music and astronomy, personified as women, and the rest of the work is taken up with the description and definition of these women and their attributes."
http://www.occultforums.com/archive/index.php/t-5557.html

"...Ausonius, in the second half of the 4th century, gave us a ‘De nomine Musarum’ that has been ignored by many modern editors, banished to the ‘Appendix Ausoniana’ by others, but being part of the best codex available (the Sangallensis G, which bears the best text of the ‘Mosella’)...::"
Clio, singing of famous deeds, restores times past to life. Euterpe's breath fills the sweet-voiced flutes. Thalia rejoices in the loose speech of comedy. Melpomene cries aloud with the echoing voice of gloomy tragedy. Terpsichore with her lyre stirs, swells, and governs the emotions. (5) Erato bearing the plectrum harmonizes foot, song and voice in the dance. Urania examines the motions of the heaven and stars. Calliope commits heroic songs to writing. Polymnia expresses all things with her hands and speaks by gesture.The power of Apollo's will enlivens the whole circle of these Muses. (10) Phoebus sits in their midst and in himself possesses all their gifts
http://www.restena.lu/caw/37133.htm

"The assignment of the nine spheres to the nine muses was the result of a harmonic vision
by the neo-Pythagorian, Martianus Capella [5th century a.d.]. "
http://www.lulumusic.com/biography.htm

"Cappella tells of the courtship of Mercury and Philologia that travels up through the planetary spheres to the castle of Zeus, where their wedding takes place. During the journey, the Gods of the planets are identified. The planetary spheres are moved by the Muses emitting the sounds of "Music of the Spheres". Also, the intervals between the planetary spheres are correlated with the Pythagorean musical intervals of the seven tone scale. All is harmony of music and number in the classic Pythagorean sense. The Gods and their spheres were:

Urania Fixed Stars (Zodiac)
Polyhymnia Saturn
Euterpe Jupiter
Erato Mars
Melpomene Sun
Terpsichore Venus
Calliope Mercury (Cyllenium)
Clio Moon
Thalia Earth

As we shall develop later, this nine-fold planetary hierarchy will correspond to the ninefold angelic hierarchy of Dionysius."
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/regulus_antares/chaldean_planetary_spheres.htm

-John

Huck

John Meador said:
Hi Huck,
I'm having trouble with that link you listed.

"The Visconti-Sforza and the other ‘new nationalists’ of Italy are very keen on things Etruscan."
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/services/library/collections/archives/int/ddonovan.html

"The passage where Martianus Capella (1, 45-60) describes a pantheon in sixteen regions is considered one of the major documents on Etruscan religion and is compared, since C. Thulin (1906), with the bronze liver of Piacenza, whose circomference is divided in sixteen spaces."
http://rhr.revues.org/document1203.html

" The first two books of the work recount the wedding of the nymph, Philogia, to Mercury, messenger of the gods. The gods are summoned by Jupiter from out of the sixteen regions of the sky and are invited to attend the wedding. As a present, Philogia is given the seven liberal arts, grammar, rhetoric, dialectic, arithmetic, music and astronomy, personified as women, and the rest of the work is taken up with the description and definition of these women and their attributes."
http://www.occultforums.com/archive/index.php/t-5557.html

"...Ausonius, in the second half of the 4th century, gave us a ‘De nomine Musarum’ that has been ignored by many modern editors, banished to the ‘Appendix Ausoniana’ by others, but being part of the best codex available (the Sangallensis G, which bears the best text of the ‘Mosella’)...::"
Clio, singing of famous deeds, restores times past to life. Euterpe's breath fills the sweet-voiced flutes. Thalia rejoices in the loose speech of comedy. Melpomene cries aloud with the echoing voice of gloomy tragedy. Terpsichore with her lyre stirs, swells, and governs the emotions. (5) Erato bearing the plectrum harmonizes foot, song and voice in the dance. Urania examines the motions of the heaven and stars. Calliope commits heroic songs to writing. Polymnia expresses all things with her hands and speaks by gesture.The power of Apollo's will enlivens the whole circle of these Muses. (10) Phoebus sits in their midst and in himself possesses all their gifts
http://www.restena.lu/caw/37133.htm

"The assignment of the nine spheres to the nine muses was the result of a harmonic vision
by the neo-Pythagorian, Martianus Capella [5th century a.d.]. "
http://www.lulumusic.com/biography.htm

"Cappella tells of the courtship of Mercury and Philologia that travels up through the planetary spheres to the castle of Zeus, where their wedding takes place. During the journey, the Gods of the planets are identified. The planetary spheres are moved by the Muses emitting the sounds of "Music of the Spheres". Also, the intervals between the planetary spheres are correlated with the Pythagorean musical intervals of the seven tone scale. All is harmony of music and number in the classic Pythagorean sense. The Gods and their spheres were:

Urania Fixed Stars (Zodiac)
Polyhymnia Saturn
Euterpe Jupiter
Erato Mars
Melpomene Sun
Terpsichore Venus
Calliope Mercury (Cyllenium)
Clio Moon
Thalia Earth

As we shall develop later, this nine-fold planetary hierarchy will correspond to the ninefold angelic hierarchy of Dionysius."
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/regulus_antares/chaldean_planetary_spheres.htm

-John

The last is rather worthful, it explains something on our page (unobserved by ourselves):

http://trionfi.com/0/g/32/

As it seems the same spheres-muses-connection as in the Gaffurio-text. But needs some checking. Checked it: Doesn't look very reliable. He/She just uses the same picture as we do.

The link, which didn't work: http://trionfi.com/0/g/91/
thanks for correction.

John Meador

musae/spheres in Martianus

Hi Huck,
you wrote:
"As it seems the same spheres-muses-connection as in the Gaffurio-text. But needs some checking. Checked it: Doesn't look very reliable. He/She just uses the same picture as we do."

We know De Nuptiis Philologiae et Mercurii consists of nine books:

"The first two books contain the allegory proper--the marriage of Mercury (mythology), Mercury to a nymph named ''Philologia''. The remaining seven books contain expositions of the seven liberal arts, representing the sum of human knowledge. Book 3 deals with grammar, book 4 with dialectics, book 5 with rhetoric, book 6 with geometry, book 7 with arithmetic, book 8 with astronomy, book 9 with music."
http://www.searchspaniel.com/index.php/Varro

"Martianus Capella, author of De Nuptiis Philologiae et Mercurii, asserts that the MUSE is the protector of sciences; moreover, the hope of immortality lies through knowledge belonging to the religion of the MUSE, as is proclaimed by Talia, and this engages Philologia to cover the nine celestial orbits:
Nunc nunc beantur artes,
quas sic sacratis ambo (sc. Mercurius ET Philologia)
ut dent to meare caelo,
reserent caducis astra
ac lucidam usque ad aethram
pia pia subuolare uota.
Perr uos uigil decensque
Nus mentis ima complet,
per uos probata lingua
fert glorias per aeuum.
Vos disciplinas omnes
Ac nos sacrate Musas (2,126)

For Martianus Capella, therefore, the religion of the Muse opens the doors of the sky to the mortals, in how many sources of wisdom, beauty and eloquence, dispensation of knowledge and also of the gift of immortality. "
http://www.cra.phoenixfound.it/download/DE_FALCO.PDF

I found a reference to this work(not presently accessible for me):
J.Préaux. Le culte des Muses chez Martianus Capella. – In: Mélanges de philosophie… offerts à Pierre Boyancé. Rome, 1974, p. 579 – 614.

I could not find more specific information as yet.
'
-John

Huck

John Meador said:
Hi Huck,
you wrote:
"As it seems the same spheres-muses-connection as in the Gaffurio-text. But needs some checking. Checked it: Doesn't look very reliable. He/She just uses the same picture as we do."

We know De Nuptiis Philologiae et Mercurii consists of nine books:

"The first two books contain the allegory proper--the marriage of Mercury (mythology), Mercury to a nymph named ''Philologia''. The remaining seven books contain expositions of the seven liberal arts, representing the sum of human knowledge. Book 3 deals with grammar, book 4 with dialectics, book 5 with rhetoric, book 6 with geometry, book 7 with arithmetic, book 8 with astronomy, book 9 with music."
http://www.searchspaniel.com/index.php/Varro
The row is rather identical to the Mantegna-Tarocchi, 8+9 (astronomy + music) is exchanged to music and poetry. Dialectic is expressed by Logic (LOICA), as it seems. So this part seems to be - relatively- "traditional", back to Capella.

The row of Muses we know in two different forms, one from the Mantegna-Tarocchi, another from Gaffurio. Would be interesting to find the source for both - if it exists.

http://trionfi.com/0/g/32/

In our internal discussion the net draws closer around Lazzarelli and the Accademia Romana as the source of the Mantegna Tarocchi. It's a lot of confusing data and we hardly find time to present it on a webpage. Perhaps you should read Lothar's recent statements at LTarot.

John Meador

Fulgentius: Mythologiae I. 15 appears to be Lazzarelli's origin as regards list of musae in his poem; Gaffurio's list is same as Martianus Capella. I will provide references tomorrow if I get a moment. I am at work at present.

-John

Huck

John Meador said:
Fulgentius: Mythologiae I. 15 appears to be Lazzarelli's origin as regards list of musae in his poem; Gaffurio's list is same as Martianus Capella. I will provide references tomorrow if I get a moment. I am at work at present.

-John

Good - would be nice to solve this detail. So the puzzle closes.

John Meador

Martianus, Fulgentius & Rhodiginus

"In his Musica practica of 1482 Ramis de Pareja, an important Spanish theorist, again assigned notes to the hierarchy, but he gave them not as Angels but as the Nine Muses whom Martianus Capella had already distributed across the spheres. Ramis, moreover, continued his diagram to cover a second octave to a', though without any additional correspondences beyond indicating with a kind of spiral the octave equivalences. This threefold scheme of notes, planets and Muses became a favourite. It was repeated by Franchinus Gaffurius (De Harmonia Musicorum Instrumentorum Opus, 1518), Henry Cornelius Agrippa (Book II of De Occulta Philosophia, 1533), Heinrich Glarean (Dodecachordon, 1547), and others. The Angels, it might seem, were usurped by the Muses in the humanistic enthusiasm of the time. But it is clear from their very first description in the Theogony of Hesiod <lines75-9> (8th-7th century B.C.) that the Nine Muses are the very same beings as the Angels of monotheism. All that one has to understand -and for many it is unthinkable, admittedly-

a'
g'
f'
e'
d' not assigned
c'
b
a............Fixed Stars..........Urania
g..............Saturn.............Polyhymnia
f...............Jupiter................Euterpe
e...............Mars..................Erato
d................Sun...............Melpomene
c.............Venus...............Terpsichore
B..........Mercury................Calliope
A...........Moon................ Clio
(silent).....Earth...............Thalia

is that these beings actually exist and that they are knowable. To Hesiod they appear as messengers who accost chosen human beings such as poets, charging them with a divine mission (Gk. angeloi = messengers), at the same time leading their own life a little below the summit of Olympus, i.e., just below the hierarchy of the Gods."
-Joscelyn Godwin: Harmonies of Heaven and Earth, 1995.

from -Martianus Capella, Book II section 27:
"'And the nine Muses are rightly joined with him, for the instruments of the human voice are nine. 'For every act of speaking is formed out of these nine things: first the coming together of the four teeth, the repercussion of the two lips, the striking of the tongue, the cavity of the throat, the help of the lungs. 'For if one of these were absent, the voice would not have been perfect. "'The Muses are also Joined with Apollo for a physical reason, (pertaining to) things of nature. "For just as in earthly music the mese, that is media, occupies the first place in each mode, so does the sun in heavenly harmony, which is distinguished as having nine successive steps, that is because of the seven planets, the eighth celestial sphere (the Firmament) and the earth itself. "And this (natural philosophical reason) possesses the proportion of the consonance of the entire formlessness and the matter of sound. "He used a very clear order of the Muses according to the rules of allegory. "Thus, Urania comes first, that is the loftiness of human intelligence. "After her <comes> Polymnia, that is the capacity of memory. "The third is Euterpe, the charm of the will, because intelligence is joined with memory and will. "Next is Erato. "For there is nothing in which the will finds more delight than in the comparison of similar things. "This, however, is not possible without profound thought. "Therefore Melpomene follows immediately. "With her Terpsichore is associated, as the delight in the arts. "For the perfection of thoughts is not possible without excercise in the disciplines. "Out of all this the entire honesty of human speech is brought forth, which is signified by Calliope. "And then Clio, that is good fame, is born. "And after her Talia is posed, as in the last place, that is the planting or sprouting of the virtues. "For every virtue is sought after because of good fame. "And therefore it is lifted up by a white bird, that is a swan, and put down in lakes, because the seeds of good fame are shown to be spread over the earth. "It is clear that the harmony of the entire cosmos consists of seven ptongot , that is of the motions of the seven planets and the outer sphere itself, which is always turned round at highest speed. "The earth (belongs to this) proportion, that is in this reason. "'Just as the sun in the (heavenly) harmony and the mese In the lyre produce the tetrachord, so does the tongue in the voice.) <trans. W.H. Stahl>

A similar allegory of Apollo and the nine Muses as representatives of the human voice is found in Fulgentius, Mythologiae I15. Fulgentius, however, describes 10 elements of the human voice: 9 for the Muses, and the 10th for Apollo himself. His order of the Muses is also different. In his myth Clio comes first, as the will to be taught. Euterpe is the second Muse, as the delight in that which is wanted. Third comes Melpomene, the pursuit of that in which delight is found. Talia is next, as the ability to grasp what was pursued. Polynmia is put in fifth place, and she symbolizes the ability to remember what was grasped. Erato is the act of finding similarities to that which is remembered. Terpsichore is the ability to judge that which was found, Urania to select that which was judged and, finally, Calliope is the eloquent presentation of that which was selected."
-Mariken Teeuwen: Harmony and Music of the Spheres: The Ars Musica in Ninth-Century Commentaries On Martianus Capella, 2002

"The Mitologiae in particular served as a basic compendium of mythology, influential both in its own right and through its absorption into the work of the so-called Third Vatican Mythographer, now generally identified as a certain Master Alberic of London."
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bgh2n/fulgentius.html

d'Alverny, M-Th. "Les Muses et les sphères celestes," Classical, Mediaeval and Renaissance Studies in Honor of B.L. Ullman (Rome, 1964), 7-19.
Discusses F's chapter on the Muses (Mit. I, 15 p. 25, 1ff.) at 8f. and prints two brief medieval texts that draw on it.
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bgh2n/fulgbib.html#mit

Courcelle, Pierre. "L'interpretation evhémériste des Sirènes-courtisanes jusqu'au XIIe siècle," in Gesellschaft-Kultur-Literatur. Rezeption und Originalität im Wachsen einer Europäischen Literatur und Geistigkeit. Beiträge Luitpold Wallach Gewidmet (Stuttgart, 1975), 33-48.
F's chapter on the Sirens (Mit. II, 8) is discussed on p. 41.
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bgh2n/fulgbib.html#mit

Plus Five:

Claude Mignault of Dijon:
"Thus Homer, that greatest of geniuses, represented the first four elements, fighting among themselves and producing each other, under the names of Jove, Juno, Neptune, and Pluto. [The four elements intended in four names of gods.] The allegory is interpreted morally as when they talk of Pallas quarelling and fighting with Mars, and we understand - do we not? - that part of the mind which lacks reason in revolt against the higher part, and vice opposed to virtue. [Why Pallas quarrels with Mars.] "

"The following is the translation of the passage from Rhodiginus (see the Latin text, note 9): Those who interpret myths allegorically take a triple pathway ... We judge mythical allegories in three ways: we interpret them physically, ethically or theologically. We understand an allegory as physical when we apply the narration to nature, as when Homer pictures the gods fighting together and means elemental nature at variance with us ... Allegory is moral when there is an application to conduct, as when for example we say that Pallas is engaged in a disagreement with Mars we understand indisputably that the part of the soul which lacks reason raises its head against the rational power, and that what is good strives with evil ..The sense of allegories is generally said to be theological when we say that the masculine names of the gods mean the efficient act in divine terms and the feminine names the power which is capable of acting. Furthermore, the fact that the heavens by their movement produce time and continually re-absorb what they produce is represented by a certain image of the god Caelus and Rhea and Saturn devouring his children. Of these Caelus represents the divine essence, Rhea means its life and Satrun its mind. For we rightly interpret the children of Saturn as the archetype of things which exist, which are engendered by the divine intelligence within itself, and which, just as they are produced by the mind so they are called back into it as it somehow re-absorbs them into itself ...
See also Book IV, which is a defence and discussion of poetry. Rhodiginus insists on the idea of the poet as a good and wise man, underlines the power of allegory as a pedagogical device, and envisions two agents of control, the church and the philosophers (cf. Mignault's citation of Lactantius and Maximus Tyrius). "
http://www.emblems.arts.gla.ac.uk/Mignault_Emblem4.html

"Lodovico Ricchieri (a.k.a. Ludovicus Caelius Rhodiginus, 1453–1525) here gives a survey from Classical Greek and Latin authors on life, the universe, and everything, beginning with the nature of God and including overviews of such diverse subjects as sleep and rhetoric. First published in 1517, this work saw many 16th- and 17th-century editions."
http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?classics-r-s.shtml~main
L i b e r see: XV
http://www.fh-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chronologia/Lspost06/Fulgentius/ful_myt1.html

Seems to be Lazzarelli's contemporary though this is published much later than Lazzarelli's poem...

-John