Helpful Book for R.W. Deck

Lysh

That was the first book I used when I began learning the tarot...however, I was learning it with the Rider-Waite deck. I found that book to be a great tool to help in learning card meanings. The only downside was using over-reliance on the book rather than developing my own intuitive thoughts about cards. But that is more of an inward journey I had to have with my deck. It is great though and I would recommend it.
Lysh

Lewen

spinningspider said:
I'd like to join you all in studying from Robin Wood's book...which I own, too.
How shall we begin?

I guess from the beginning, I'll get my book out and thumb through it and see what's there. I guess we could post what we think about it. I've never led a book study before in regards to tarot. I don't overly rely on the book, but love the background she puts into it. I feel it adds to my intuitive approach to the cards.

spinningspider

Yes!

I'll be there with bells and whistles on when we start. Thanks Lewen, for leading this study.

Little Baron

Kliegman's book 'Tarot and the Tree of Life' is another I would recommend for the minor arcana.

LB

spinningspider

Copyright

Thank you for the warning, Sulis. Will keep in mind and will be careful.

Lewen

spinningspider said:
Thank you for the warning, Sulis. Will keep in mind and will be careful.

Yes, we will be mindful and do proper quotations. I might see if I can get a hold of Robin Wood and ask permission. This would give others time if they want to acquire the book.

I don't plan to quote verbatim, but I was thinking perhaps we'd read something then discuss it and add our input. Does this sound ok? Looking for ideas here. All are welcome! :)

spinningspider

Sounds excellent to me!

Lewen

I e-mailed Robin Wood today and will wait until she responds to me. While I'm waiting, I'm going to thumb through my book again and see what stands out to me.

I first became interested in her book when I was staying for the weekend at a friends house in West Virginia. She had a copy and I spent a few hours engrossed in it and felt that I need to add it to my "book wanted" list. I had The Robin Wood deck, but it didn't connect to me just yet until I read bits of the book and I felt that I understood it a bit better. I also felt it added to my intuitive take on the cards and something I was working for this year was reading and trusting my intuition more.

How did you come across the book and The Robin Wood deck? What made it stand out to you?

Blessings,
Lewen :)

spinningspider

Robin Wood Deck and Book

The Robin Wood Deck was the deck used by a friend for my very first Tarot reading, over a year ago. I asked the friend whether this would be a good deck for me, as a beginner? She wholeheartedly said, "Yes!"...especially given the direction my spirituality quest was taking me.

To answer your question, Lewen, I must admit I went to Amazon (didn't know about Aeclectic Tarot then) and saw that there was an accompanying book that one could buy. I bought them both at once, figuring I'd need all the help I could get. Also in that purchase was the Anthony Louis book, too...since he used Robin's deck for his illustrations. I've definitely never regretted that complete purchase.

I should mention that I had never been in an Occult shop or any shop selling Tarot before or at that time. THAT has since changed! Ha!