Tarot of Prague - Limited Edition

willowy

To be fair about the payment plan, which they have done many times, is that it was always ahead of deck availability. But these decks are ready now because they were printed a year or so ago and then held back waiting for the new boxes. There isn't time to make three payments for decks that will ship next month.

But you could ask them. They might be willing, I don't know.

I don't think I was subscribed to their mail list at the time as this is first I've heard about it.I think I'm going to go for just the standard prague deck if they still have them next month cause I'm sure It'll be just as good.Thanks though.

ldiddy

just ordered!

It sounds like the cards are just going to be hanging out in the oversized wooden box? I guess we will need to use the scarf coming with the deck to keep them protected.

I actually wish they had included the pouch for free rather than the scarf. The Mythical Creatures tarot was a nice set, and perfectly presented.

I totally agree. The Mythical Creatures bag and box are tip top. Does anyone know if this is the same cardstock?

Carojulie

Hello,

I am tempted by this limited edition of the Prague deck, but I am worried about the size of the cards from a practical point of view (165 mm X 100 mm ; or 6.5 X 4 inches)

Baba's regular decks are already quite large (and I like that) but this edition will be considerably larger.

My largest deck in my collection is the large version or Jerri Totten Distant Past tarot (145 mm X 90 mm) ; it's beautiful and still usable eventhoug a little difficult to shuffle, but for larger spreads it is not the best choice, unless you have access to a very large table.
And the limited edition tarot of Prague will be even larger.... The cards will be beautiful, especially in that over size, of that I am sure. But for practicality, shuffling, handling, spreading ?

What do you think of a deck that size, is it still usable ? Is is worth it ?

Do any of you have a deck that size, or maybe one of the other extra-large limited edition from Baba Studio (Alice tarot or else ) ? How do you use it ?

tarotesoterica

If these are the same size as the Mythical Creatures Tarot then for me it would probably just be a collectors item. I really wish they had included the pouch for free. The pouch included in the Mythical Creatures was my favorite part of the set. I probably won't purchase this as it doesn't catch my eye like the Bohemian Gothic or Mythical Creatures did, at least not enough to pay that price for it.

Le Fanu

Am I right in thinking the large Prague is the same size as the Ltd edition Alice? It's a workable size for me...

theEnigma

Just pulled out the three decks to compare and verify.....

Tarot of Prague and Alice are exactly the same size and I'm guessing printer. For me, this is the absolute best in terms of card stock & print quality (you don't see the "grain" like you do in say an uusi deck), with the added benefit of the gorgeous cold stamping.

The Mythical Deck is slightly smaller and of different stock/ printing (I believe I read it is the same printer they used for the first edition of Tarot of Prague), and I agree it may have some of the best presentation of any deck I own.

I think the pouch not being included is due to Baba reworking (rethinking?) the packaging since the melodramatics previously. I personally would rather a pouch than a scarf, but I'm not the artist in this instance and in the end will protect the deck just fine in the box. I haven't had any issues storing my current LE in the beautiful printed cardboard box the provided. I wonder if they will send those too, or just trash them.

Carojulie

Just pulled out the three decks to compare and verify.....

Tarot of Prague and Alice are exactly the same size and I'm guessing printer. For me, this is the absolute best in terms of card stock & print quality (you don't see the "grain" like you do in say an uusi deck), with the added benefit of the gorgeous cold stamping.

The Mythical Deck is slightly smaller and of different stock/ printing (I believe I read it is the same printer they used for the first edition of Tarot of Prague), and I agree it may have some of the best presentation of any deck I own.

I think the pouch not being included is due to Baba reworking (rethinking?) the packaging since the melodramatics previously. I personally would rather a pouch than a scarf, but I'm not the artist in this instance and in the end will protect the deck just fine in the box. I haven't had any issues storing my current LE in the beautiful printed cardboard box the provided. I wonder if they will send those too, or just trash them.

Thank you Enigma for cheking out the size ! Do you find the large limited edition Baba decks to be a workable size, or just collector itmes like Tarotesoterica says ?

I would really like a limited edition large tarot of Prague, but I would not like to spend that money on a deck that I will not use. That is why it is important for me to find out if the deck ends up being too large to be easily workable.

If these are the same size as the Mythical Creatures Tarot then for me it would probably just be a collectors item. I really wish they had included the pouch for free. The pouch included in the Mythical Creatures was my favorite part of the set. I probably won't purchase this as it doesn't catch my eye like the Bohemian Gothic or Mythical Creatures did, at least not enough to pay that price for it.

Thank you Tarotesoterica. Do you keep them as collectors items because they are too large for your hands ?

Am I right in thinking the large Prague is the same size as the Ltd edition Alice? It's a workable size for me...

Thank you Le Fanu for your answer. I now know that at least one person consider this size still manageable...

theEnigma

Carojulie, I do find the deck workable. While it is large, and not something I use everyday, I read with and shuffle all of my decks. The images are so well done I find myself transported to a Prague wonderland and the narrative storytelling that is tarot is just that much better with this deck. ToP is perhaps my favorite deck and this printing is exquisite.

I can't explain it, but my larger Alice deck definitely "reads" better for me than its regular counterpart.

Le Fanu

Thank you Le Fanu for your answer. I now know that at least one person consider this size still manageable...
I should add that I have large hands and can shuffle the Druidcraft and large Thoth, for example.

Carojulie

Thank you Enigma and le Fanu !
Ah ah. You enablers. I just gave in, and spent my birthday money and Baba rewards points on that deck. I did not get the pouch, I would probably have prefered the pouch than the wooden box, but it was unreasonable for me to get both.

Carojulie, I do find the deck workable. While it is large, and not something I use everyday, I read with and shuffle all of my decks. The images are so well done I find myself transported to a Prague wonderland and the narrative storytelling that is tarot is just that much better with this deck. ToP is perhaps my favorite deck and this printing is exquisite.

I can't explain it, but my larger Alice deck definitely "reads" better for me than its regular counterpart.

Thank you Enigma. I love this deck too, I have the regular size.... it is so beautiful, and it reminds me of a wonderful student music trip I took 25 years ago when I was in high school, with my music class. Plus, two of my kids also made a music student trip a few years ago with their music school orchestra. Lots of wonderful memories for us all there, and a strong wish to visit again one day. Plus, I love how the regular size reads, so I guess I will love the large one ! I like that you think that your large Alice reads even better than your regular Alice. maybe it will be the same for me here !

I should add that I have large hands and can shuffle the Druidcraft and large Thoth, for example.
Whaow ! Not many people can shuffle an untrimmed Druidcraft ! Before I trimmed mine, I really strugled with shuffling, even when I tried to turn the deck on its shorter side... Actually I always overhad shuffle all tarot decks, because even a traditional RWS is too long for me to riffle shuffle it. But I am nevertheless very looking forward to my large Prague deck now that you all have enabled me so well !
:)