Deck of the Month Study Group??

DragonFae

The year is filling up nicely. Four open slots....any other deck or "focus" ideas... ???

Onyx

We are still looking for a couple of spots and I really like the way that the year is filling out.

I would like to through in a couple of more ideas. I would like to consider a mythological or faery oracle. There are a literal ton of these out there. Oracle of Light and Shadows is one to consider. Also there are a lot of mythological decks out there as well. There are also angel cards which do not appeal to me at all but I have to think by the huge array of them that there are some to which these call.

Also something along the lines of a scientific oracle more astronomy than astrology kind of thing. The Universe cards have been mentioned, I also thought something along the lines of sacred geometry might be an idea. The Physic Tarot, in my opinion is so different that I don't think it actually counts and might work in this way too.

Another idea I have been playing around with for February is Magic the Gathering cards. I also have recently fell for the Story Cubes as a divination tool.

One last idea for tonight is a literature based system. Something like the Shakespeare Oracle, House of Night Oracle or something along the lines of that.

I think that we might consider a month of open choice just to give each of us a chance to choose something completely off the radar or if it is later in the year a chance to revisit something that really worked.

But it looks like I am off to find me a native American oracle for next month.

Onyx.

edited to add:

Ordered copy of the Sacred Path Oracle for next month. I also picked up the study workbook as well to shape the experience. Going for it and I am excited.

DragonFae

Great ideas....I'm up to my neck in stuff right now but since we are set for the first month or so...I figure we can iron the open spots out as we go along.

Interested to see what the study workbook is like.... you can let us know. :)

DragonFae

Added Open Choice in the December slot...I think its a good way to end the year and since December is usually hectic for people....trying to make it an easy one.

I like the idea of a faery focus but I LOVE the Froud Faeries and that already has its own forum....not sure I can find a faery one to play with....that I'll love as much.

GoldenWolf

I agree with Onyx that mythology is a good general theme. It could encompass Arthurian oracles of which there are a few including the Matthews' Camelot Oracle, the Mythic Oracle (Greek myths), and so on.

Onyx

Great ideas....I'm up to my neck in stuff right now but since we are set for the first month or so...I figure we can iron the open spots out as we go along.

Interested to see what the study workbook is like.... you can let us know. :)

I think that we are all at that point of being over extended. I like the list as it is shaping up and we are really seem to be set for the first couple of months. So yeah we have some ideas for later but let's get rolling. We are only two weeks out from 2015!

Onyx.

conurelover

What about Vera Sibilla?

DragonFae

I'm not very well versed in Sibilla cards.

I have a deck but it doesn't say "vera".

I suppose we could use any sibilla oracle decks as there out plenty out there.

I'll fill it in for a month. :cool2:

QUESTION BEFORE I DO SO.....

There is an open spot in July and November....the July slot is right after the cartomancy month....since the sibilla cards have "regular" playing card images as part of their image etc....would it be helpful to have them right after cartomancy...do people use those card meanings in conjunction with the card itself? OR would that be confusing? Would it be better to place them in November?? THOUGHTS???

Onyx

I think that a month to study the Sibilla Oracle looks great as I think that this is a great chance to also look at things like Lenormand as well.

It seems to me that these are a bit different than a cartomancy study. I would be supportive of giving each a month on its own or combining them if we find a different type of deck to give a month of attention.

The list is looking very exciting. I am sure that this will make for an interesting year.

I did get my copy of Sacred Path Cards and it looks interesting and I am thinking about what I want to set for goals for myself with each of the months.

There are easy things to do like daily cards and journaling. Spreads and readings are clearly good choices as well but there is something more that I think that I want to accomplish. Each oracle system that has any lasting resonance seems to have its own worldview and paradigm. I want to work to really capture how this deck "thinks" and how it views the world. This is a chance to really look at things differently. I may even look at things that are more multicultural to help expand that experience as well.

Onyx.

conurelover

I'm not very well versed in Sibilla cards.

I have a deck but it doesn't say "vera".

I suppose we could use any sibilla oracle decks as there out plenty out there.

I'll fill it in for a month. :cool2:

QUESTION BEFORE I DO SO.....

There is an open spot in July and November....the July slot is right after the cartomancy month....since the sibilla cards have "regular" playing card images as part of their image etc....would it be helpful to have them right after cartomancy...do people use those card meanings in conjunction with the card itself? OR would that be confusing? Would it be better to place them in November?? THOUGHTS???

Are your cards the Sibilla Oracle or Vera Sibilla? I have both so it does not matter to me. The decks do have different cards and meanings though. Maybe they should come after cartomancy....not sure though. I know so very little about this deck....