RWS edition with rose cross backs

BrightEye

I have a little RWS deck that I bought in Germany some years ago as part of a cheap box set. The card titles are in German. And the card backs have a rose cross design on purple ground. Scan attached. I wonder whether this back design is historical and if anyone has come across it before?

rwcarter

I have a couple of "standard" size decks with that back. I believe they're all on Konigsfurt decks, so I think that's just the back they use just like USG uses the tartan plaid back.

BrightEye

I have a couple of "standard" size decks with that back. I believe they're all on Konigsfurt decks, so I think that's just the back they use just like USG uses the tartan plaid back.

I see! Thanks. I love those rose cross backs.

Yelell

BrightEye, is your deck trimmed? I have, hopefully somewhere since I misplaced it when I moved, a RWS with this deck back except it also has königsfurt urania and a copyright date written in white borders on the back.

rwcarter

I have a giant Konigsfurt RWS and a regular size RWS and they both have the rosy cross on the back and the cards do have borders/

BrightEye

I trimmed mine, yes. With scissors. I even hand-trimmed the corners, no corner-cutters. It's a bit of an uneven job, but it is my favourite RWS in my possession for that reason, and because of the lovely backs.

I didn't think the printing of my little deck here was old. It was in a box set for "beginners" that came with a book, so I'd say the printing itself is recent. I just wondered where the back design originates. From what rwcarter says, though, this seems to be a random design used by Königsfurt and not connected in any way to Waite, PCS, or any historical printings.

Yelell

Hopefully someone smarter will answer your question, but it's the rosy cross, similar but less detailed than the back of the thoth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_Cross The wikipedia article mentions the golden dawn a ways down. Also try a search for rosy cross in the google image search.

INIVEA

I'm in love with the Rose cross backs, Where can I get this deck?

BrightEye

I'm in love with the Rose cross backs, Where can I get this deck?
I got mine in a large supermarket that also sold books. It was in Germany. Königsfurt is a German publisher.

INIVEA

I got mine in a large supermarket that also sold books. It was in Germany. Königsfurt is a German publisher.

hmmm, I am going to look into this over the next few months, may need a friend in Germany to send one to me :D