Greater Arcana Study Group—The Fool

Richard

Right, but the Hermetic doesn't claim to be faithful to Mather's prototype. It is obviously strongly influenced by both RWS and Thoth.......

Indeed, but I mentioned it bacause it confirms the wolf and flowers.

Michael Sternbach

I found it! Harriet Felkin was Robert Felkin's second wife. She was originally initiated into the GD as Harriet Miller Davidson (born Harriet Miller), Soror Quaero Lucem, which seems to have been changed to Quaestor Lucis. She was a co-founder of the Stella Matutina and Whare Ra.

Only that Quaestor Lucis was one called Oswald Murray according to the link provided by Abrac above.

Teheuti

The point is that the addendum to Book T, describing the Trumps Major was written by Mrs. Felkin (Harriot Davidson - see other links earlier). I also understood that she was the artist of the Whare Ra deck.

Here's an article quoting Giordano Berti and calling Mrs. Felkin Quaestor Lucis:

http://wettub.com/tarot-deck-review-initiatory-tarot-of-the-golden-dawn/

It doesn't help that Ithel Colquhoun called her Ethel: "Felkin's second wife, Ethel (Quaero Lucem)" :( Their daughter, I believe?
http://www.kheper.net/topics/Hermeticism/Felkin.html

BTW, search google images on <Whare Ra Temple> to see photos of their home and temple in Havelock North.

Gravestones:
http://subrosapress.org/_Media/the-felkins-grave-2_2508.jpeg

Abrac

According to Howe's Magicians of the Golden Dawn, Murray used the motto Quaestor Lucis but had resigned in 1894. When was Mrs. Felkin first initiated? Could she have taken his motto since he had resigned, were they allowed to do that?

INIVEA

hey anyone want a coffee or tea?, This is getting heavy, though to suggest a break. lol

Richard

hey anyone want a coffee or tea?, This is getting heavy, though to suggest a break. lol
Just this moment I'm having a coffee break. Then I need to get going with other things. I'm nocturnal.

I don't do Latin, but I know a smidgen of Greek and Hebrew. I'm guessing Quaestor Lucis means something like Seeker of Light.

Teheuti

According to online translations:

Quaero Lucem: "I seek the light."

Quaestor Lucis: "Light reporting." (He who seeks the light??).

It seems as if "Quaestor Lucis" may not be correct Latin while "Quaero Lucem" is. Anyone know?

Richard

If lucis is the genitive of lux, then quaestor lucis is okay as a nominative phrase.

Yelell

My translator said seeker of light.

The word Quaestor alone got:

Latin quaestor, equivalent to quaes-, base of quaerere to seek + -tor -tor

I don't know what + -tor -tor is supposed to mean though.

Yelell

In the Manual Of Cartomancy he references, the text is a bit different (and the poor fool is still miserable)

"... further extract the card which is numbered Nothing in the Trump Series and which bears the title of THE FOOL. Despite the miserable appearance and name of this symbolic figure, the student must understand that this is a very important card. It signifies in a triple sense: (a) The wisdom of this world, which is foolishness with God; (b) the folly of the Cross; and (c) the uninitiated person, which- as we shall find in the sequel- can be understood after two manners."