Dreaming Way Tarot - 21 ~ The World

Sulis

So this is one of those cards that is absolutely nothing like the traditional depiction of this archetype.

I have a bit of a special infinity with The World card and how it's usually depicted as a lady dancing on one leg surrounded by emblems of the suits or the universe..
To me the card means the end of a long journey, things are as they should be whether that's what the querant wants or not. The lady dancing on one leg has often shown up for me to represent my amputation which was definitely the end of a very long, personal journey, is most definitely the way things should be for me and the image is quite literal for my personal circumstances too.

In this version of The World we see an elderly gentleman, snoozing in his chair. He looks comfortable, he has his pipe, his glasses have fallen off into his lap and rest there with the book he was reading before he nodded off. A pocket watch hangs from his jacket pocket and just behind him is an old looking tree covered in ivy.

I can see that the message of the card is much the same.. This is a comfortable place, the end of a tiring day or a long journey. The age of the man makes me think that he's in his twilight years and the tree also shows age.

It's not my favourite depiction of this card by any means, I much prefer the usual version but it conveys the feeling of the card nicely I think.

Attachments

• 21 The World.jpg
    21 The World.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 371

ana luisa

Thank you for posting this card. It does deviate a lot from the usual RW version but, in a way, I like it better. To me the most important feature here is the ivy. The old man let it grow around the tree and neither the tree nor the ivy are suffering from it. It relates to finally finding that peaceful spot in your life when you stop "avoiding" weeds, fearing the worst. It's about harmony, getting together, co-existing. Almost like that old McCartney and Jackson's tune Ebony and Ivory. He is NOT fearful of what will come for there is this composure and calmness that he acquired throughout the ages. Also, he is somehow like the tree to his family, to all that came to him for suport and shade and he feels also very content to be able to offer that security and to be embraced by those who look for him.

Nemia

I like this card for a number of reasons. First of all, I'm really happy to see diversity. Diversity doesn't just mean young, slim sexy people with all kind of skin colours or ethnic backgrounds but people of all ages. (That's why I like Anna K.'s Lovers card so much - it shows an elderly couple clearly still in love, two have become one as nearly as possible.)

Then, I like the aspect of time in this card. Like Ana Luisa, I see the ivy and his age as indicators of the time that has gone by. The usual World depiction is completion, and there is something magical in looking young and fresh after completing the journey and getting ready for a new one. But this old man shows that completion means: time has gone by. He's looking at a picture book of his former adventures. He reminds me a bit of Bilbo. He's done with adventuring, but the adventures live on in his mind, and so does the wisdom he's won.

He can let go of his adventures without regret because he's learned their lessons.

Distilled wisdom, having the fool's journey under one's belt - that's how it looks to me. This moment of rest when one challenge is done - as soon as he opens his eyes, there are new challenges again, of course, but this one is done.

I really like this deck where it goes beyond RWS iconography.

Sulis

Thank you for posting this card. It does deviate a lot from the usual RW version but, in a way, I like it better. To me the most important feature here is the ivy. The old man let it grow around the tree and neither the tree nor the ivy are suffering from it. It relates to finally finding that peaceful spot in your life when you stop "avoiding" weeds, fearing the worst. It's about harmony, getting together, co-existing. Almost like that old McCartney and Jackson's tune Ebony and Ivory. He is NOT fearful of what will come for there is this composure and calmness that he acquired throughout the ages. Also, he is somehow like the tree to his family, to all that came to him for suport and shade and he feels also very content to be able to offer that security and to be embraced by those who look for him.
I LOVE what you've said about the ivy here.
"It relates to finally finding that peaceful spot in your life when you stop "avoiding" weeds, fearing the worst." - this is beautiful and so true.
I got the impression that the tree was like family to him too.. Thanks ana luisa :).
I like this card for a number of reasons. First of all, I'm really happy to see diversity. Diversity doesn't just mean young, slim sexy people with all kind of skin colours or ethnic backgrounds but people of all ages. (That's why I like Anna K.'s Lovers card so much - it shows an elderly couple clearly still in love, two have become one as nearly as possible.)
Yes!
Nemia said:
Then, I like the aspect of time in this card. Like Ana Luisa, I see the ivy and his age as indicators of the time that has gone by. The usual World depiction is completion, and there is something magical in looking young and fresh after completing the journey and getting ready for a new one. But this old man shows that completion means: time has gone by. He's looking at a picture book of his former adventures. He reminds me a bit of Bilbo. He's done with adventuring, but the adventures live on in his mind, and so does the wisdom he's won.

He can let go of his adventures without regret because he's learned their lessons.

Distilled wisdom, having the fool's journey under one's belt - that's how it looks to me. This moment of rest when one challenge is done - as soon as he opens his eyes, there are new challenges again, of course, but this one is done.

I really like this deck where it goes beyond RWS iconography.
Yes, yes, yes.. I love what you've both said and I've now decided that I love this card too..

And I'm liking this deck so much that I'm going to spend some time trimming it. I think the colours will really pop with no borders.

ana luisa

It IS an amazing deck ! :love:

And I'm liking this deck so much that I'm going to spend some time trimming it. I think the colours will really pop with no borders.
And here's what the cards look trimmed. They truly bloom when set free. Jump to 6:10 if you want to see only the Dreaming Way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXe1XbIV4ks