I bought a Carreras -- should I use it?

SarahJoy

While idly browsing for Dondorfs on ebay, I bid on a full set of Carreras Fortune-Telling Cards -- small Head Inset on a whim. I wasn't really expecting to win the auction, but I did.

So, now I have a 90-ish-year-old deck. The cards are in reasonably good condition for their age, with some yellowing of the edges and minimal stains on the surface. They are darling -- basically mini-sized, with crisp readable Dondorf illustrations.

Are these young/common enough that I can (carefully) use them? Or do they need to go into archival storage, to be admired only every once in a while?

lightpers

Wonderful acquisition, Sarahjoy! If i was you, i only open the deck for reading once in a while ( very important case) because this deck is so precious, if you insisting using it, i prefer you get another Dondorf version to use as reading.

stellar4

I have a few precious/HTF decks that I like to use but worry about getting damaged, so I have taken them to a local printer to have copies made. That way I have a usable deck for reading with but the original stays safe.
Might be worth considering for your Carreras?

Teheuti

You can get protective sleeves for individual cards from gaming sites. Then use the cards in their sleeves. Or make copies. If you want to protect your originals. It's up to you.

Le Fanu

Use them. I held on to mine for special occasions and then the dog tugged them off the shelf in the little vintage leather case and chewed them up!

gregory

If you don't use them - what are they for ? Just don't have coffee on the same table when you do :)

Tag_jorrit

Be quite careful with them. I have a set that were made in 2 pieces with the fronts & backs pressed together. A couple of my cards have come apart and needed to be glued back together.

SarahJoy

Wonderful acquisition, Sarahjoy! If i was you, i only open the deck for reading once in a while ( very important case) because this deck is so precious, if you insisting using it, i prefer you get another Dondorf version to use as reading.
Well, this is my third Dondorf pattern -- but none are cheap/easily replaceable enough to be daily readers! :D

I have a few precious/HTF decks that I like to use but worry about getting damaged, so I have taken them to a local printer to have copies made. That way I have a usable deck for reading with but the original stays safe.
Might be worth considering for your Carreras?
Hmmm. Definitely an idea worth considering.

You can get protective sleeves for individual cards from gaming sites. Then use the cards in their sleeves. Or make copies. If you want to protect your originals. It's up to you.
I've been considering getting sleeves for this deck. I couldn't use the cards while in sleeves, though -- they're so oddly sized, and honestly, I like the tactile feel of a deck. Using sleeves would lose that. I know you have a lot of older/rare decks -- do you use them? how often?

Use them. I held on to mine for special occasions and then the dog tugged them off the shelf in the little vintage leather case and chewed them up!
Naughty puppy! Time to teach the "Leave it!" command. :) I admit, I want to use them. I don't think they're as special/rare as, say, a Pam A deck, where I'd feel obligated to preserve them in the best condition possible. On the other hand, if the other decks out there are under attack by sweet dogs . . .

If you don't use them - what are they for ? Just don't have coffee on the same table when you do :)
Excellent point, and I don't drink coffee, so I'm safe! (Ok, I'll keep the other beverages off the table, too!)

Be quite careful with them. I have a set that were made in 2 pieces with the fronts & backs pressed together. A couple of my cards have come apart and needed to be glued back together.
Well, that's terrifying! I'll be careful.

-----

Ok, I think I'll order acid-free sleeves for storage and consider having a replica printed. They won't be part of my daily rotation, but I'll use em. I wasn't expecting to get these, so I wasn't expecting to have to make this decision. It's weird -- this deck is both one of the cheaper decks I've bought, and also the oldest/most delicate/most special/etc. that I own.

It really is delightful. The print quality, while period-appropriate, feels charmingly rough. The combination of metallic gold ink and "Pick up instructions at your local tobacconist" on the backs amuses me every time I look at them.

Teheuti

Shuffle and lay out with another deck (or an app) and then put out the cards drawn from your rare deck to read.

Astraea

Archival-quality card sleeves are also good for making your own reading boards - get a large piece of foamboard, lay the sleeves out in your preferred pattern (e.g. 9x4, 8x4+4), paste or tape the sleeves to the board, and insert the cards you draw for readings in those sleeves for longterm viewing and rumination. I use double-sided tape to attach the card sleeves to my board.

Like Teheuti, I use the surrogate reading method with my rare decks - you get the benefits of a good shuffle, plus the satisfaction of using collectable decks. I don't have any tarot apps, but as Teheuti says, that would be a great option.