The Aeon

Umbrae

The 'current' Aeon can get confusing. In A.C's Book of Thoth (Egyptian Tarot) there are many references to Nuit.

In the Egyptian Mythos, Nuit (or Nut) is also Hathor (see the horned solar disk on the head the WCS High Priestess). In the form of Hathor she was the Goddess who nursed the gods (and pharaohs (both male and female)).

Hathor was married to Horus. Each year at her Temple in Dendara they’d take out the effigy of Hathor, parade it around on New Years day, then sail it up-river to the Temple of Horus in Edfu.

At the Temple of Hathor In Dendara there is a bias relief carving (I remember where it is, and could walk you there but I'm unable to tell you which (it’s not the picture in the Court of the New Year ceiling) room it's in) in a room on the second floor (in what I remember as the SE corner)…anyway…there is Nuit. Takes up the entire ceiling. She swallows the sun and gives birth to the sun (and all the signs of the zodiac). Our guide explained she created/creates the universe. She is the mother of all.

Yet she cannot be a mother without a father.

So they take her to see her husband Horus.

These were the finals monuments of Ptolemaic Egypt. The Temple of Horus at Edfu was one of the last of the great monuments (57 BCE±).

We have what is 'known', or today’s knowledge of Egyptian mythos, and Hathor/Nuit; versus what was 'known' or assumed by Crowley.

He states the first Aeon was that of Isis, and the second of Osiris. Both were doomed to fail since they were incomplete. Female only...Male only. Then he discusses the Aeon of Horus; which – by itself is incomplete. Horus requires Nuit and visa versa for completeness.

A.C. Tells us (pg 115):
A.C. said:
“Around the top of the card is the body of Nuith, the star-goddess, who is the category of unlimited possibility; her mate is Hadit, the ubiquitous point-of-view, the only philospophically tenable conception of Reality. He is represented by a globe of fire, represnting eternal energy, to show his power of Going. As a result of the marriage of thee two, the child Horus is born….”

Now Hadit has no historical basis except in the Quasi-Egyptian mythos invented by Crowley. There are references on the web to Hadit being worshiped in some singular town of Behedet, and is also referred to as ‘Horus of Behedet’. Such references only appear in Thalema based sites, and sites describing Thalema and related information. Victorian and post Victorian understanding of the Egypt mythos was incomplete (at best).

Does this make Hadit moot?

No. Crowley was ‘doing something’ that really had no historical basis. I believe he was laying groundwork FOR and of the new age, the new Aeon.

We can get hung up on who was what where and when – but it belies the point.

We can actually transfer modern Egyptian mythos fact right into the images with no conflict.

Nuit frames the card, embraces Horus, and together they give birth to – The New Aeon.

But in the bigger picture – perhaps I’m just as wrong as AC.

TheoMo

Umbrae said:
Nuit frames the card, embraces Horus, and together they give birth to – The New Aeon.

This is very interesting, and seems to be a common theme with the Thoth trumps (the Lovers -- a marriage of two opposites; Art -- the transformation of the two combined elements of the Lovers into something new and unique). The Aeon, then is also a combination and production of something new as well. From this perspective this card now strikes me as incredibly grandiose and cosmic in its symbolism and meaning.

Aeon418

Umbrae said:
Shouldn't that be, Nuit embraces Hadit and together they give birth to The New Aeon - Horus ?

Nuit and Hadit are the polar opposite Lovers. The double form of Horus is the result of their union.

One Armed Scissor

spiral said:
Osiris is his own father, yes. Christianity, being an Osirian religion in essence, naturally shares the common themes of death/rebirth.

lol, not exactly. Crowley didn't invent Isis/Osiris/Horus. They are Egyptian gods, remember. All Crowley did was join up the dots and point out the common themes. The Egyptian model is rather more all-encompassing than most (in that it encompasses all phases: Isis, Osiris, Horus and... whoever is next - I can't remember) and so he ends up using it. Egypt is also part of the bedrock of magick so it's gods and themes are quite important.

Oh, I know, but he brought it back into vouge. I guess it was more like all those Neo New Wave bands that keep comig out.

FraterGrant

Rebirth, born again, beginning of something new...sounds like the death card to me. So, what makes them differnt? And can someone interpret what all this means in an actual reading?

thinbuddha

I don't think of the aeon so much as rebirth in a reading- I look at it more like zeitgeist- the spirit of the time we live in. To me, when is shows up in a reading it basically says that the influence of the new aeon will play a direct roll in the life of the quarant (moreso than usual) at this given time and in the particular situation.

So what does "the influence of the new aeon" mean?

This is harder to explain, partly because I'm a little bit foggy on what AC intended it to mean. But for me, the new aeon is a shift in thought and philosophy of society towards realizing the value of individuals and individuality as part of the whole. We are (hopefully) emerging into a time when humanity as a whole will slowly realize that each person is capable of playing their part in the music of perfect creation regardless of.... well..... whatever their background. Each person (each being of any kind, really) is a necessary part of creation, and we can all play just as important a roll as any other.

So- back to the reading, for me this card showing up will mean that somehow this emerging awarness will play a roll in the quarents life- either by taking a step towards that awarness themselves, or interacting with others who are taking such a step, or being directly effected by the changes in society that will come as a result of people's changes in thoughts, philosophy and values.

I can't think about this card without the film 2001: A Space Odyssey comming to mind. For me, the film and the card have a very similar message.

-tb

FraterGrant

thank you tb. that helps so much.

Nevada

I tend to nearly always see the Aeon (including Judgement in other decks) as an awakening. Not just an awakening, as in waking up in the morning, but an awakening to whatever plan or purpose is opening up for the querent.

It can apply to a particular day, and a meaningful purpose for that day, a phase of one's life or one's entire life, or incarnation. Perhaps, at times, it may even apply to the motivating focus of one's spirit through more than one lifetime.

Finding one's calling or purpose in life, or for a segment of one's life, could be indicated by this card. Or a realization of a lesson that wasn't understood fully before.

Nevada

llee

How do you interpret this card if it appears in a relationship spread as the outcome?

Aeon418

Without knowing the specifics of your question it's difficult to say. But in general terms the Aeon is about new beginnings.

In terms of a relationship it could mean drawing a line under the past and starting again with a clean slate. Or it could mean leaving the past behind altogether and heading off in a new direction.