Wildwood Tarot

Chara

You know, I've never had a Greenwood myself, and I was never really interested because the art just didn't grab me.

But I really hope that Virginia Lee gets the job for this because I think her work is gorgeous...it kind of reminds me of the artwork that Diane Goode did in the Random House Book of Fairy Tales...

Nevada

oak_woman said:
I actually titled the thread 'Wildwood Tarot', so it clearly was never going to be, strictly speaking, a new 'edition' of the Greenwood. That's why it has a new name, I imagine. It's true that, as an editor myself, I should have picked up on the inaccurate use of the word!
Oak_woman, I'm sorry that I seemed to be picking on you about the thread. My bad.

oak_woman

No probs, Nevada! :)

Le Fanu

I suppose it´s inevitable that a thread on the Wildwood should refer back to the Greenwood. It´s like talking about the Universal Wirth without trying to refer to the Oswald Wirth...

I´m intrigued by this deck...

Aerin

I think that making a new version is an ideal way orward. Trying to recreate the original artist's designs doesn't really work (visions aside): see Mythic Tarot and New Mythic Tarot as examples.

I will be excited to see the deck, which to me will be a new one. Not the old rehashed.

Aerin

Sidhe-Ra

Heads up peeps! Looks like the artist is Now Will Worthington of Druidcraft fame!

xx

cardlady22

OMG! I'm type-less! (instead of speechless)

lark

Oh, cu-oolll...love his art in the druid craft, but I hope he tones down the big feet. :D

Le Fanu

lark said:
Oh, cu-oolll...love his art in the druid craft, but I hope he tones down the big feet. :D

LOL.. I have to say, I think that Virginia Lee's art has a delicacy and style which would be very suited to a greenwood-inspired deck. I like the Druid Craft, but Id quite got used to the idea of it done in her style...

I know the Druid Craft is earthy and stuff... What I love about the Greenwood is the lack of an explicit human presence in the cards. More animals and deities and strange creatures and stones and the earth. I know I´ll be lambasted, but I don´t really like the style of figure painting in the Druid Craft. I love the ferns unfurling and the water and the skies, but not really the people....