the most sought after / desirable / killed for decks

Le Fanu

I bet this has been done before, but I couldn´t find anything after searching. Im really curious to know which - in the crazy, obsessive, tarot-lovers´ universe - are the most desirable / sought after/ killed for decks...

I´m just curious, as I find that sometimes I come across old, tatty decks in esoteric shops here in Europe and later find they´re OOP or hard to find, and I really have no idea, beyond The Greenwood, which decks would be in the top ten of sought after decks...

Isn´t there a rare Marseilles edition? Dussere Dodal? What about The Balbi? Chinese Tarot? Royal Morroccan Fez? Ravenswood? Ansata? Maddonni? There is a list of "rare decks" here on AT, but there are only a few decks on it, and being OOP is one thing, but being OOP and having loads of tarot fans after it, is quite another.

Also, I guess it´s subjective. For example, Ive been after the Victoria Regina for a while and for me it´s highly desirable, but there may be others for whom the BG Silver - a very recent deck - is their object of desire. I get the impression for example that the BG Silver is more sought after than the VR Gold... There are also decks which may not even be strictly out of print, but which one feels are on the way to becoming desirable. I don´t know why, but I feel the Rohrig might be one of these... Plus, looking at lists here, maybe the Meneghello Soprafino will one day be one of these, judging how people here like it...

Just curious. What for you is the deck you most yearn for?

Nina*

Just recently it was the Vieville. I wanted a second copy and it proved to be harder than I thought. Luckily I did find it, but I think people will have problems doing that in the near future.

The Dussere Dodal IS much sought after, but personally I don't care for it. I will (and have) paid quite a lot of money for some decks, but I'd never pay that much for this one.

Le Fanu

Funny you should say that. I had the Vieville on my list to buy and kept procrastinating as I knew they had it at Alida. Eventually, a couple of months after first seeing it there, I got round to ordering it. Moments after doing so, I went back into the site to check the price, and it was no longer listed. Continues unlisted. I got the last copy!! I had no idea. I was lucky!

There is a shop near me which has the Vieville and I keep wondering about a 2nd copy, but I don´t really want to go down that road.... I agree with you though. The Vieville is sure to be one of the desirable decks in the near future...

Sphinxmoth

Tarot of the Master. Lo Scarebeo. Not that old a deck. Six-seven years old, is all? Been preying on my mind for a few months, now. Someone, somewhere- maybe Amazon Marketplace, or something.. is flogging (trying to) one for two thousand something dollars. Twenty two hundred? Something jawdropping like that. Are they kidding?? Even copies that are more moderately or fairly priced dance on the edge of what I can (and often cannot) spend on a deck at any given moment. So, so far, no go. I have never seemed to be one of those lucky people who fall over a bargain, and the kinds of bookstores I hear described, where one walks in and finds a Greenwood sitting on a shelf, all alone, looking lonely, for fifty bucks.. well, they just don't seem to exist around here.

I decided, half-way though the most intense part of my collecting period, that I was not going to be buying decks just because I thought they were going to be worth a bundle sometime in the future. No doubt there are those that will. I have personal opinions on some that I think are likely to. But I just decided that wasn't the kind of collector I am. I just want the ones I want. Just because I *like* them.

Cosmic Ray

Yeah, yeah, I know it will be here soon and all, but I would give anything to get my hands on Deviant Moon NOW!

rwcarter

Sphinxmoth said:
I have never seemed to be one of those lucky people who fall over a bargain, and the kinds of bookstores I hear described, where one walks in and finds a Greenwood sitting on a shelf, all alone, looking lonely, for fifty bucks.. well, they just don't seem to exist around here.
I know someone who did just that with the Greenwood. Only he got it for (hope you're sitting down) $12. Yes, twelve dollars. For that price even I would've bought it! :laugh:

Rodney

baba-prague

Le Fanu said:
Also, I guess it´s subjective. For example, Ive been after the Victoria Regina for a while and for me it´s highly desirable, but there may be others for whom the BG Silver - a very recent deck - is their object of desire. I get the impression for example that the BG Silver is more sought after than the VR Gold...

We get about the same amount of enquiries about both of them, but it's funny, like you I get the strong hunch that it's the BG Silver that will become the most sought after of the two in years to come. It may simply be that it's more spectacular - the silver ink does change the cards a great deal and with both VR and BBCats Gold the effect is mostly more subtle (though I like it in its own way for just that reason).

If I were really to go out on a limb you know, I'd guess that in twenty years it may be the BBCats Gold becomes a bit of a cult - but I could be totally wrong on that, it's just that I feel that the deck has proved to have a staying power that's surprising.

Oh- and the Victoria Regina - yes, I agree with your enthusiasm. It's a deck I've always liked. I think it'll just become more and more appreciated as time goes on.

Sphinxmoth

rwcarter said:
I know someone who did just that with the Greenwood. Only he got it for (hope you're sitting down) $12. Yes, twelve dollars. For that price even I would've bought it! :laugh:

Rodney

O Rodney. there are just no words...

Venus Moon

Victoria Regina for me was a long hunt, and it was worth it! I din't have any current hard to find must have, except maybe the Greenwood, but can't and won't pay those high prices!

Debra

I really really wanted David's deck and was so happy to find it on ebay--the seller had two. I've never seen it for sale before or since.

A lot of people seem crazed for the Royal Fez Moroccan.