the occult scene after Crowley...

Aeon418

Is the present interest in the occult just a revival? Are there any hopes for a new Crowley :)?
Personally I agree with the late Israel Regardie when he said "the days of the giants are over." Today we are surrounded by lesser lights who try to commentate and explain. Then there are those who distort and dillute.

The history of religions and spiritual philosophies is very clear on what happens after any new system is founded. Is it progress or merely a downward spiral?

Zephyros

Honestly I think it`s too early. The Golden Dawn and Crowley, like I said, provide enough reading and thought for a lifetime. There will be another GD, and another Crowley when the world needs them. Besides, it is not a question of fashion, the Tree of Life does not update itself as often as an iPhone, we don't need a new spiritual philosophy every few years. I think that new=better is a sign of our times, but means little in the occult. If it were true, even you, Aeon, would dump the Thoth in favor of the Devient Moon :)

Anyway, I'm too old for new giants, I've only begun on Crowley and the GD a few years ago, I'm not ready for a new revolution yet :)

Aeon418

Besides, it is not a question of fashion, the Tree of Life does not update itself as often as an iPhone, we don't need a new spiritual philosophy every few years. I think that new=better is a sign of our times, but means little in the occult. If it were true, even you, Aeon, would dump the Thoth in favor of the Devient Moon :)
Closrapexa, I wasn't advocating any kind of "update" or even new giants. :) If anything I think the "giants" have already carried out the updates, or should I say the rearticulation of the Perennial Philosophy? ;)

I wish I had more time to explain my position clearly, but I'm afraid it will have to wait until later.

Zephyros

Closrapexa, I wasn't advocating any kind of "update" or even new giants. :) If anything I think the "giants" have already carried out the updates, or should I say the rearticulation of the Perennial Philosophy? ;)

I wish I had more time to explain my position clearly, but I'm afraid it will have to wait until later.

I wasn't attacking you, sorry if it sounded like that! I understand you perfectly, let's raise a toast to the new Aeon of Horus v.1.4! Contact your HGA by "liking" us now!

Aeon418

I wasn't attacking you, sorry if it sounded like that!
I didn't see an attack in your post. Just a possible miscommunication which is probably may fault anyway. :laugh:

Abrac

LaVey never rejected the occult, but rejected the pretenses of the past, i.e., those who "played the devil's game," as he put it, but denied his name. He uses as an example Crowley's use of Beast 666 while at the same time steadfastly refuting he was a Satanist.

After Crowley, the lines became a lot clearer. The right-hand path (New Age) on one side and the left-hand path on the other (Satanism).

l'appeso

about the left hand path

LaVey never rejected the occult, but rejected the pretenses of the past, i.e., those who "played the devil's game," as he put it, but denied his name. He uses as an example Crowley's use of Beast 666 while at the same time steadfastly refuting he was a Satanist.

After Crowley, the lines became a lot clearer. The right-hand path (New Age) on one side and the left-hand path on the other (Satanism).

while googling for reference I found this book:

Flowers, Stephen- Lords of the Left Hand Path: A History of Spiritual Dissent.

Has anyone read it?

Aeon418

It might be clearer to you but you've completely lost me. :laugh: