Could readings go wrong?

Sulis

Moderator note

Please can we stick to the topic of the thread and stop with the comments directed personally at other members?

The topic of the thread is 'Could readings go wrong?'.

2 posts have been removed.

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator

kamya26

Please can we stick to the topic of the thread and stop with the comments directed personally at other members?

The topic of the thread is 'Could readings go wrong?'.

2 posts have been removed.

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator

Sorry for diverting from the main topic.

Aeon418

I do trust my cards and in divination but a prediction coming out untrue is hard to digest
The process of divination provides the reader with possibilities, probabilities, and guidance. But the final judgement and decision is always down to the reader, not the cards!

Using the Tarot to try and predict future events is merely fortune-telling. In a way it is similar to gambling. You might get lucky repeatedly backing the favourite horse, but sometimes the form book gets turned on it's head and you lose your money. Tough luck!

tarotbear

Thank you, Aeon418, for being succinct! :D

Richard

Yes to all. :) EVERYONE and EVERYTHING can be wrong at one time or another.

Even God (if s/he exists) made a mistake with the mosquito :laugh:
In the old Oh, God! movie, the God character (George Burns) admitted that the zebra was a mistake.

trzes

The process of divination provides the reader with possibilities, probabilities, and guidance. But the final judgement and decision is always down to the reader, not the cards!

Using the Tarot to try and predict future events is merely fortune-telling. In a way it is similar to gambling. You might get lucky repeatedly backing the favourite horse, but sometimes the form book gets turned on it's head and you lose your money. Tough luck!

Just to clarify my understanding of the way these terms are being used here: When you talk about possiblities, probabilities and guidance to you mean that without thinking of the future but only seeking a deeper understanding of the present? Otherwise I wouldn't understand what actually distinguishes that from fortune telling.

Stark Raven

Just to clarify my understanding of the way these terms are being used here: When you talk about possiblities, probabilities and guidance to you mean that without thinking of the future but only seeking a deeper understanding of the present? Otherwise I wouldn't understand what actually distinguishes that from fortune telling.

Now you have me thinking about the other end of this topic. Assuming that the fact that Tarot in theory is best suited to Spiritual awareness, growth and ascension; then what in fact would one possibly measure success in that area by? I have been using Tarot for that since I first used it, but I can't say that for sure it's done anything. I have more beliefs about what I or anyone shouldn't do, and they are significantly adjusted from before. I have more and different beliefs about the future. That's all I can difinitively say. I don't say this has left me with no faith in Tarot, as a divination tool or for growth as a person. I certainly wouldn't be able to write much of a book regarding the results. An article for that matter. Be careful how you answer, please, please don't turn this into a topic that has to defined as spiritual ;0)

Zezina

Yes to all. :)
Even God (if s/he exists) made a mistake with the mosquito :laugh:

Not if God's aim in creating the mosquito was human population control.

trzes

Perhaps the cards can be wrong. But how do we know?

We don't. But what is the immediate guess, made by people?

There is a reader who judges a situation by appling different skills like background knowledge, intuition, maybe simply listening to to the sitter, general experience, whatever. And there is a card that turns up with an attached meaning that collides with the reader's judgement.

You may question the card being the "right" one.

You may question the interpretation of the card. In that case you can stretch, bend and creatively extend the meaning of the card to make it a better fit to your judgement of the situation. But that is just a compromise between common sense judgement and the divinational process by actually diluting the divination and making the reading more "intuitive".

You may question the reader's judgement of the situation and by doing so question all the skills the reader applied.

If it comes down to it, it's either the card (and maybe the reader failing to focus some sort of energies to make the right card appear) OR the ability of the reader to judge a situation by non-tarot skills. To me it seems a bit unfair to question the reader's judgemental skills in defence of a divination process that (as a process) will never by accurate in every single case, a fact that I actually thought would be undisputed.

If a person's common sense judgement stands against the outcome of a divinational tool of whatever kind, I would always blame the divinational tool first, if I have to have an opinion at all.

trzes

Now you have me thinking about the other end of this topic. Assuming that the fact that Tarot in theory is best suited to Spiritual awareness, growth and ascension; then what in fact would one possibly measure success in that area by? I have been using Tarot for that since I first used it, but I can't say that for sure it's done anything. I have more beliefs about what I or anyone shouldn't do, and they are significantly adjusted from before. I have more and different beliefs about the future. That's all I can difinitively say. I don't say this has left me with no faith in Tarot, as a divination tool or for growth as a person. I certainly wouldn't be able to write much of a book regarding the results. An article for that matter. Be careful how you answer, please, please don't turn this into a topic that has to defined as spiritual ;0)

We were cross-posting. Maybe what you say explains some of my problems that made me post what I posted and makes my last post sort of obsolete. I'll be back when I am able to think again and try to understand in detail what you said.