Moving to TdM?

ivanna

When I have money again to spend on tarot, I will probably get the Tarocco delle Vetrate.
I'm intrigued about reading a deck with unillustrated pips. In fact, I have no idea about how can It work, and how should I do it.
Shall I restart again the learning? May I be able to use my RWS knowledges?
And the most important question? Why did you went to TdM's decks?

I think that the images on the RWS may limit your readings, as you always see the same image each time you draw the card, and with the TdM no, as you do not have any picture that can drive your intuition or your knowledges...

I would like to be able to use a TdM, but if that means that I have to restart all the learning process, and so on, maybe I will stay on the RWS.

I will probably buy the Tarocco delle Vertrate to see what happens, but I would linke to hear about your experiences.

By the way. I usually buy my decks and books through amazon.es, and the forum does not have any link to amazon.es to buy my decks and at the same time support AT. So, if any moderator reads this, keep it in mind. :)

jean bosco

When I have money again to spend on tarot, I will probably get the Tarocco delle Vetrate.
I'm intrigued about reading a deck with unillustrated pips. In fact, I have no idea about how can It work, and how should I do it.
Shall I restart again the learning? May I be able to use my RWS knowledges?
And the most important question? Why did you went to TdM's decks?

I think that the images on the RWS may limit your readings, as you always see the same image each time you draw the card, and with the TdM no, as you do not have any picture that can drive your intuition or your knowledges...

Hi, as speaking for myself, I started - out of curiousity - reading Enrique Enriquez's "Marseille Seekers" threads, tried out the exercises and started to see the beauty and the possibilities of the TdM Decks. The pips are non-scenic, but there is a lot going on in them anyway.

At first I think everybody can read the way that makes the most sense to them.
That is e.g., pips meanings taken from RWS, or "pips as trumps", or numerology, or Etteilas meanings...
Why not have a look at this Index-thread?
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=158719

Because you mentioned the "Tarocco delle Vetrate", I'm not sure if that deck could be called a "traditional"TdM. There is also a great variety upon those non-scenic decks.

ivanna

Il tarocco delle vertrate, I was considering it because I find it very nice, maybe more than the traditionall TdM... but I am open to a de-enabling thread :D.

Very usefull the link, I will have a look .
Thank you!

jean bosco

Il tarocco delle vertrate, I was considering it because I find it very nice, maybe more than the traditionall TdM... but I am open to a de-enabling thread :D.

Very usefull the link, I will have a look .
Thank you!

It also took me some time to see the beauty in the TdM. But after that I started to appreciate the simplicity and the seemingly "rougher" shapes. It feels to me that there is also some great depth in them. And the majors and the court cards really start interacting and they feel like becoming alive when layed out in a row - arguing, being chatty, hiding / holding back something, etc, etc....
At the same time I have the impression that it takes a lot of practice and time if one really wanted to learn the "language" of the TdM fluently. But that's the case with everything, at least in my experience ;-)

Anyway, there are also some "less rough" TdM decks like the ISIS, CBD or Fournier,...

ivanna

I saw the Isis and is beautifull, but it must be expensive, and I found the fournier one also nice, any much more affordable, so I may give it a try

Richard

The Tarocco delle Vetrate is interesting; but of the tarocco decks, I much prefer the traditional, extremely beautiful Tarocco Soprafino. It is too expensive for me.

However, my favorite decks of all are the cleaned-up versions of the Conver Tarot de Marseille, such as Grimaud, CBD, and ISIS. I also like the (currently Trumps only) new TdM version by Wilfried Houdouin.

The ISIS colors are intended to be authentic, and the total cost (including shipping to the US) is only $45 US. (I don't know what the cost would be for shipping to Spain.) I am not sure I would enjoy the candy colored Fournier, at least not for regular use.

Read the TdM any way you wish. Some of the more popular methods are horrendously detailed and impossible to remember, and they are not even claimed to be 'authentic'. It might be best to start out with something simple, such as Pips as Trumps. There is a thread about it started by Lee (Bursten). The traditional Rider-Waite meanings could certainly be used. (However, I don't use those meanings even with the Rider-Waite. :D)

Another standard method of reading TdM is Trumps only. It is great for a fast read once you get the hang of it.

ivanna

I got the Fournier deck. I find it nice but I don't know if my opinion as a newbie has any value. The size is also perfect to take with me in my bag, so if any day I find it ugly, it still will be perfect to take in the bag.
And you were right, the ISIS deck is not expensive, once converted to euros I found it affordable, and I ordered a copy, it will be my study deck to leave at home.
Thank you!!

Richard

I got the Fournier deck. I find it nice but I don't know if my opinion as a newbie has any value. The size is also perfect to take with me in my bag, so if any day I find it ugly, it still will be perfect to take in the bag.
And you were right, the ISIS deck is not expensive, once converted to euros I found it affordable, and I ordered a copy, it will be my study deck to leave at home.
Thank you!!
You are very welcome! Just between you and me, I think the ISIS is the most beautiful Tarot deck ever made. And what makes it even more desirable is that it is an accurate rendering of an important historical deck. I have never been so delighted with a deck of cards in my life. :)

jean bosco

Thank you!!

Great! :)

Enrique Enriquez compared - in an interview - the different types of Tarot de Marseille with the different types of fonts (typography). Nobody would dare to say that the Helvetica or the Arial are the only true fonts. So, basically all TdM "speak" the same language. I only recently understood that there is no "the one and only" TdM deck.
That's really nice I think.

(Edit to insert the quote.)

Richard

Great! :)

Enrique Enriquez compared - in an interview - the different types of Tarot de Marseille with the different types of fonts (typography). Nobody would dare to say that the Helvetica or the Arial are the only true fonts. So, basically all TdM "speak" the same language. I only recently understood that there is no "the one and only" TdM deck.
That's really nice I think.

(Edit to insert the quote.)
I am by no means an Enrique fan, but I would have to agree with him on this. I do prefer the TdM reconstructions better than the facsimiles, because of their clearer, cleaner images, but they all read the same. Beyond this, it is largely a matter of taste. I am a sucker for beauty, hence the ISIS.