Advice for TDM beginners using pragmatic method?

Moonshiner

So I'm a fairly new TDM reader and I take on a more pragmatic approach than the spiritual method. I was wondering if those who practice this way had any advice for beginners like myself.

A few road blocks that I stumble upon is not knowing the meaning of a card just by visually looking at it. For example I did a reading for myself regarding old friendships that I hold dearly to me but they're no longer in my life. I posed the question if I should try making amends with them or not and I got the 10 of wands, queen of swords and the 6 of wands. To me I thought:
You've already built a wall of success within your current situation (10 of wands), protect that (queen of swords) by walking away and moving forward on your path (6 of wands).

Sounds good to me but I don't have any actual meanings associated with any card before hand in the marseille deck. So if the 8 of wands showed up in the place of the 6 of wands I may have said the same thing as they both look the same except for the added two wands. To me the 6 of wands looked like paths going in different directions and a matter of moving forward but again the 8 of wands look similar.

What advice do you have for this situation or do you have any advice in general for the pragmatic method?

mrpants

Hi there, Moon!

I think your instinct is spot on, and with the Marseille in particular, I think that having no previous associated meanings is great! That said, my advice would be to start reading the Marseille Tarot for others. You will find that an added dimension of objectivism will free up your mind even further. In other words, it's even easier to read openly for someone you know less than yourself.

One thing you could do though, to help with the example of 6 vs 8 of batons, is to infuse a simple numerological system to the pips and suits. I've met a lot of readers that use those systems to supplement an open reading, with great success.

Also, follow the eyes! It's fun to read significance into where the characters of the tarot are looking. maybe they are trying to point to different aspects.

Also also! look for repeating patterns, shapes, numbers, characters, etc. If you see a strong repetition, read it as a strong overarching theme. These are known as eye rhymes.

Good Fortune!

-Corey

dancing_moon

I don't exactly understand the difference you're making between 'pragmatic' vs 'spiritual', but I can tell you this much: if your approach works, then stick to it. :) The thing is, a Tarot card doesn't have any one set meaning outside the context of a question you ask/situation you're reading about. And it's not like we're going to organize you a TdM exam or anything, anyway. :rolleyes:

I also agree with everything mrpants said. And especially, do read for others, it'll make your method shine. :thumbsup:

Moonshiner

Hi there, Moon!

I think your instinct is spot on, and with the Marseille in particular, I think that having no previous associated meanings is great! That said, my advice would be to start reading the Marseille Tarot for others. You will find that an added dimension of objectivism will free up your mind even further. In other words, it's even easier to read openly for someone you know less than yourself.

One thing you could do though, to help with the example of 6 vs 8 of batons, is to infuse a simple numerological system to the pips and suits. I've met a lot of readers that use those systems to supplement an open reading, with great success.

Also, follow the eyes! It's fun to read significance into where the characters of the tarot are looking. maybe they are trying to point to different aspects.

Also also! look for repeating patterns, shapes, numbers, characters, etc. If you see a strong repetition, read it as a strong overarching theme. These are known as eye rhymes.

Good Fortune!

-Corey

Good advice! And thank you!

I'll try it out and see what happens. Reading for others is always intimidating especially with a new deck but I'm willing to give it a go.

I've been following Enrique's teachings so I think I know what you mean :)

Thanks again!!

Moonshiner

I don't exactly understand the difference you're making between 'pragmatic' vs 'spiritual', but I can tell you this much: if your approach works, then stick to it. :) The thing is, a Tarot card doesn't have any one set meaning outside the context of a question you ask/situation you're reading about. And it's not like we're going to organize you a TdM exam or anything, anyway. :rolleyes:

I also agree with everything mrpants said. And especially, do read for others, it'll make your method shine. :thumbsup:

I was referring to Enrique's teachings as well as reading the cards with what's in front of your face without the added spiritual talk. I never connected with the New Age stuff so I like to go with what the cards show in blunt statements before adding anything extra. I hope I'm making sense haha.

Eremita90

If this is your approach, you may find Yoav Ben-Dov's book, Tarot. The open reading quite interesting, both in terms of theory and in terms of the interpretations he gives of each card: he does not say that you should use them, but since he explains why he interprets the cards in a certain way, based on certain visual aspects of the cards themselves, you may be able to develop your mental image of each arcanum more thoroughly. Just as an example, if I remember correctly, he interprets the Eight of Wands as a mishmash without an easy way out (no vertical wand "cuts through" it); instead, since in the Six of Wands the central mishmash is not that big, and is apparently not a prominent feature of the card (in the Eight there are no lateral flowers distracting you from the "main thing"), so he interprets the card as an alliance between the two groups of wands, an alliance that bears fruit, since there are leaves growing from the point where they meet. Again, I'm not saying that you should adopt this interpretation, and after all it is good to keep your mind open to different possibilities, but at the same time it is helpful to at least have an idea of where you may want to look in a card. :)