Animal Nouveau Tarot - The Majors

Phoenixdawn

Hi everyone! I'm at the beginning stages of deck creation. I'm doing an animal deck, because I've always gotten along with animal oracles the best and I think they have a lot to teach us. The theme for the art style is Art Nouveau - which is great because I can fit some of the more traditional symbols in the geometry of the backgrounds if the main animal "character" doesn't quite cover everything that needs to be said (like the Emperor - I can fit the rams and eagles and mountains and such in the background without taking too much away from the character).

I have most of my Majors picked out. The Minors will be themed depending on suit. Cups/Water will be fish and sea mammals, Wands/Fire will be predators, Swords/Air will be avians, and Pentacles/Earth will be prey animals. I'm not positive how I'm handling court cards yet - but I've got quite a while to figure that out.

I'm stuck on choosing animal representation for some of my majors. They're cards that I've typically struggled with in regular readings and are eluding me once again. Can I get your guys' input on them?

Empress - Not a card I usually have trouble with, but I have no idea who she should be. I thought of a Lioness, but I'm not sure that truly portrays the abundant nature of the Empress.
Lovers - I'm set in the floral representation for the background (flowers are a big Art Nouveau theme) and am using Callah Lilies and Roses, but have no idea who the Lovers should be.
Justice - my earliest notes say Raven, but it doesn't quite feel right. I thought about going the endangered species route (a very specific balance has to be maintained for the species to not die out) or even an invasive species route (as a warning to what happens when the balance is upset) but I'm feeling kind of lost and aimless for this one.
Temperance - Would a black koi fish and a white koi fish circling one another in a pond be too cliche? It's really the only thing I can think of, which either means that it's so obvious it can't be anything else or that I'm thinking too superficially.
Devil - I've been meandering between the traditional portrayal as a goat and a less traditional portrayal of a Raven. Maybe even some sort of owl.
Moon - Gosh darn this card. I've never had a good handle on it. All I've got is that the lower third of the card will portray the stream leading to the ocean with the wolves running through the scene. The top two thirds? Maybe the moon is a giant eyeball of some creature. Or maybe the moon is a white, luminous creature. Who knows. Maybe even both. I don't know. The Moon is hard. I do want to emphasize the bipolar nature of the card in some way.
Judgement - I'm strongly leaning towards a bird of some sort - this card to me is all about flying free and releasing yourself from the past and moving on. Maybe a Dove? As a nod to the often religious imagery used on the card?

For kicks and giggles, here are my tied down cards (I'd like to avoid repeating the exact same animal in the Majors. Different species is fine (a snow leopard and a tiger would be okay, a snowy owl and a barn owl would be okay), but I'd like to avoid something like having two of Fox or Coyote.

Fool - White dog with pointy ears
Magician - I'm back and forth between Fox and Coyote
High Priestess - Snowy Owl (I've also considered Polar Bear)
Emperor - Wolf (with eagle and rams in the background)
Hierophant - Eastern Dragon
Chariot - a Black Pegasus and a White Pegasus
Strength - a Lion (perhaps a white one) and a domestic Cat
Wheel - Migrating birds (maybe the Arctic Tern) The bottom of the card will be winter, the top summer, and the birds move in a circle around the card
Hanged Man - Bat (there's so much rich transformative connotations around the Bat)
Death - Phoenix. The first card I planned out, actually
Tower - the only non-animal. It will be a forest fire. Perhaps with the plume of smoke forming an animal of some sort?
Star - Hummingbird
Sun - I'm heavily leaning towards a Golden Retriever, but am still doing some searching.
World - Butterfly.

What do you guys think? I'm excited to start releasing artwork - I'm starting to release on Oct 1!! If you're interested, you can catch updates on Instagram and tumblr. My handle for both platforms is handdrawnviolist.

BrightEye

What a great idea!

Lovers - swans, many stories involving love and beauty

Moon - owl (a bird that can see in the dark and is associated with wisdom and mystery)

Temperance - a mythical beast that combines two animals, a griffin maybe?

Empress - white mare, ancient Eurasian mother goddess (Epona)

Justice - dove, bringer of peace

Judgement - cockerel? I'm thinking of dawn being announced; also vaguely thinking of the denial of St Peter

Devil - Raven, carrion bird but great guardian of wisdom and magic, trickster (the original devil was also a trickster)

Falcor

My ideas:
Magician - Raven, this bird is very much connected to magic. Or a black cat.
Emperor - Elephant
Hierophant - Mantis maybe?
World- An egg in a nest.

Also try to explore different animals, don't go for old and familiar.

reall

Oh! I LIKE HOW THIS SOUNDS!^^ Art Nouveau is one of my fav art styles!^^ and animal tarot is one of topic on my to do list!^^ we even have same suit idea! Except I was thinking domestic animals for coins/pentacle would be more suitable?:))
and I like ideas posted here!^^
so here is my list for majors;maybe something click for you as well!^^ lolz ;))
0 fool/monkey!^^ but i think cute white dog or rabbit or lamb would be perfect!^^:))
1 magicion is master of all elements so it had to be some insect but fox sounds perfect!XD:))
2 HP something that will go with moon in the background so it had to be night animal?
3 Empress queen bee
4 Emperor lion!
5 faith elephant/because for me this card is to follow your path or something like that?:)
6 lovers you can go with romantic clasic 2swans in heart shape or snakes!XD like dna/or tree etc?
7 chariot kangaroo!^^
8 Wisdom I would go with something flashy here like bioluminescence firefly or lanternfish?XD
9 gorilla!:)
11 rhino!
12 hanged yep it's a bat!XD lolz ;))
13 for me this is one of those scenes we see in old western movies horned animal skull in desert?XD ;))
14 temperance like your idea here!mine was something with waterfall and sloth like passage of time? but if you want mix then this maybe it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus
15 in animal world this had to be forest scene with shade of man with axe in one and gun in other hand?XD LOLZ
16 tower Termites!:)) just look at these http://www.radost.hr/media/cache/d4/bc/d4bc5873a03a74494aa82f8c7d6217ee.jpg
17 Starfish!?XD:))))
18 this card is with dominant moon so owl is ok? but maybe shape of white dog and black wolf facing each other over big full moon is better!XD:)))
19 sun gold retriever sounds perfect! My idea was white pony or wild horse?:)))
20 judgement oh! I like your idea for dove here! Mine was nature vs city landscape?:)))
21 world girl sitting on the ground with bull and lion at sides and eagle behind shoulders like wings?:)))

btw i'll be sure to post if I get more ideas!:)) & feel free to ask if you need anything!:))
can't wait to see more of this!:)) I'll be sure to check your tumbir!:)) gotta open my acc there one day!:)) lolz

Edit; omg! I just check your portfolio! must say I luv what I'm seeing so far!:)) I'm adding you to my DA watch list! you are a pro! this will be fantastic!^^ lolz

Phoenixdawn

What a great idea!

Lovers - swans, many stories involving love and beauty

Moon - owl (a bird that can see in the dark and is associated with wisdom and mystery)

Temperance - a mythical beast that combines two animals, a griffin maybe?

Empress - white mare, ancient Eurasian mother goddess (Epona)

Justice - dove, bringer of peace

Judgement - cockerel? I'm thinking of dawn being announced; also vaguely thinking of the denial of St Peter

Devil - Raven, carrion bird but great guardian of wisdom and magic, trickster (the original devil was also a trickster)

Moon. Owl. DUH! Why on earth did I not think of that? That's perfect! :D

I like your idea for Temperance - I'll definitely do some digging and find the perfect animal mix. If there's a dragon and a phoenix in the deck, there's no reason there can't also be a gryphon or chimera!

I thought about swans for lovers as well. They seemed to... soft? to me for some reason? That card (at least for the limited amount of times I've run into it) tends to be about facing difficult choices.

It's funny just how many places the raven can fit. I've had him written down in my notes on like 4 or 5 different cards. He could go on Magician, Devil, apparently early on I considered him for Justice, and I know I even considered him for Hierophant at some point.

I like the idea of a peace bringer for Justice. I really have to go back and review the religious symbology for Judgement - I didn't grow up in a religious household at all and it seems to form the base for many people's understanding of this card, and may be why I'm having such a hard time with it.

Phoenixdawn

My ideas:
Magician - Raven, this bird is very much connected to magic. Or a black cat.
Emperor - Elephant
Hierophant - Mantis maybe?
World- An egg in a nest.

Also try to explore different animals, don't go for old and familiar.

I like your idea for the World :) It's on the other end of the cycle than butterfly, but still makes a lot of sense with the meaning of the card! I was really close to putting the raven on Magician. But the raven isn't enough of a tricky fellow for me, personally, to put him on that card. I'm very much back and forth between a fox and a coyote for that one.

I'd use the mantis here, but I've got plans for him in the court cards later on. I kept to mostly traditional, familiar faces for the Majors because I want my majors to be really accessible, and because I've got some pretty deep roots in animal shamanism, so a lot of the archetypes in the cards were all ready there with some pretty deep associations. I'll be doing a lot more exploring with the suit and court cards - those ones aren't as deeply engrained in my psyche so I'll have a lot more room to play around :)

Phoenixdawn

Oh! I LIKE HOW THIS SOUNDS!^^ Art Nouveau is one of my fav art styles!^^ and animal tarot is one of topic on my to do list!^^ we even have same suit idea! Except I was thinking domestic animals for coins/pentacle would be more suitable?:))
and I like ideas posted here!^^
so here is my list for majors;maybe something click for you as well!^^ lolz ;))
0 fool/monkey!^^ but i think cute white dog or rabbit or lamb would be perfect!^^:))
1 magicion is master of all elements so it had to be some insect but fox sounds perfect!XD:))
2 HP something that will go with moon in the background so it had to be night animal?
3 Empress queen bee
4 Emperor lion!
5 faith elephant/because for me this card is to follow your path or something like that?:)
6 lovers you can go with romantic clasic 2swans in heart shape or snakes!XD like dna/or tree etc?
7 chariot kangaroo!^^
8 Wisdom I would go with something flashy here like bioluminescence firefly or lanternfish?XD
9 gorilla!:)
11 rhino!
12 hanged yep it's a bat!XD lolz ;))
13 for me this is one of those scenes we see in old western movies horned animal skull in desert?XD ;))
14 temperance like your idea here!mine was something with waterfall and sloth like passage of time? but if you want mix then this maybe it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus
15 in animal world this had to be forest scene with shade of man with axe in one and gun in other hand?XD LOLZ
16 tower Termites!:)) just look at these http://www.radost.hr/media/cache/d4/bc/d4bc5873a03a74494aa82f8c7d6217ee.jpg
17 Starfish!?XD:))))
18 this card is with dominant moon so owl is ok? but maybe shape of white dog and black wolf facing each other over big full moon is better!XD:)))
19 sun gold retriever sounds perfect! My idea was white pony or wild horse?:)))
20 judgement oh! I like your idea for dove here! Mine was nature vs city landscape?:)))
21 world girl sitting on the ground with bull and lion at sides and eagle behind shoulders like wings?:)))

btw i'll be sure to post if I get more ideas!:)) & feel free to ask if you need anything!:))
can't wait to see more of this!:)) I'll be sure to check your tumbir!:)) gotta open my acc there one day!:)) lolz

Edit; omg! I just check your portfolio! must say I luv what I'm seeing so far!:)) I'm adding you to my DA watch list! you are a pro! this will be fantastic!^^ lolz

I definitely like the idea of domesticated animals for pentacles! I was naturally leaning towards a bunch of domesticated animals for that one, so it sort of makes sense to just go the whole way, doesn't it?

I like the idea of queen bee for empress :) I originally thought Lion for Emperor as well, but I always thought the Alpha Wolf was much more of a leader than the top lion, so I picked wolves instead :)

An elephant makes sense for the hierophant! When I pull this card, it usually ends up representing a favorite teacher and community builder of mine, so I've always likened it to a great leader who shares wisdom.

I kind of like snakes for Lovers! Hmmm... that card is so hard! A platypus would be really clever for Temperance :) Termites for Tower is really clever as well!

A white pony would be very much in line with the standard symbolism for the Sun card for sure! I see a lot of ponies when looking at other's interpretation of that card.

I like your idea for world :) I'm keeping humans out of my deck if only because I have a really, really hard time drawing them!

Thanks so much for checking out my portfolio! And for the watch! I'm super excited to get this ting off the ground tomorrow!

reall

ok! I'm super happy you got my ideas!^^ yes, domestic animals are perfect!^^ big brains thinks the same!^^ :)) and I can't wait to see court cards!^^
btw I'm bit shaman so luv that part of your deck!XD :)))

looking forward to see how this goes?:)

I have more ideas for minors and court cards will post when we get there!^^:))

cybercat

For devil why not do the Tasmania Devil.

jiasaykea

I love art nouveau style! Here are some of my ideas for the ones you weren't sure about

Empress - Sea Turtle laying eggs
Lovers - Swans, sparrow hawks
Justice - I love the idea of platypus, or even goose, the ability to traverse sky,water, and land with ease (really any waterfowl)
Temperance - same thing here with goose
Devil - snake
Moon - owl, rabbit (in Japanese culture rabbits are linked to the moon)