How important is your ascendant sign

Beth-Anne

It really depends on the chart: if a person had a strong moon, it will feel paramount. And when it comes to relationships it is big. But the ac is for sure a huge factor, it's how others see you. If that's very different then how you see yourself it might not be huge for you, but some are connected well to their ac. Some people with a weak sun in 12 will relate more to their ac cutting out their inner self till they confront the issue within (usually during a Saturn return).

Its important when reading a chart to figure out all rulers and dignities and not assume moon is paramount just cuz it is for you. For some it really isnt.

An additional step I take after the regular chart reading steps is to look at what I call the soul section as one story and the body section as another (my own thing, but I need a better term for body section cuz it doesn't describe it well).

For me the soul are obviously Venus and moon, sometimes Saturn, sometimes Neptune (depends, but these two can wreck havoc in Venus & moon so I generally include them). Also (non planet) nn, Eros & psyche. And 4th & 12th houses. I think if someone's soul section is super strong (mine is all trined except Neptune) then yeah moon can feel super strong (although others might not see it).

Sometimes I feel like my moon is in charge, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes other strong parts of my chart are taking over lol.

Minderwiz

It really depends on the chart: if a person had a strong moon, it will feel paramount. And when it comes to relationships it is big. But the ac is for sure a huge factor, it's how others see you. If that's very different then how you see yourself it might not be huge for you, but some are connected well to their ac. Some people with a weak sun in 12 will relate more to their ac cutting out their inner self till they confront the issue within (usually during a Saturn return).

Its important when reading a chart to figure out all rulers and dignities and not assume moon is paramount just cuz it is for you. For some it really isnt.

An additional step I take after the regular chart reading steps is to look at what I call the soul section as one story and the body section as another (my own thing, but I need a better term for body section cuz it doesn't describe it well).

For me the soul are obviously Venus and moon, sometimes Saturn, sometimes Neptune (depends, but these two can wreck havoc in Venus & moon so I generally include them). Also (non planet) nn, Eros & psyche. And 4th & 12th houses. I think if someone's soul section is super strong (mine is all trined except Neptune) then yeah moon can feel super strong (although others might not see it).

Sometimes I feel like my moon is in charge, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes other strong parts of my chart are taking over lol.

This might not solve your problem about body v spirit (or soul) but the earliest form of Horoscopic Astrology treated the physical as being the hemisphere below the horizon (part of the first, all of the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth and part of the seventh - they used whole sign houses). The other hemisphere above the horizon was the realm of spirit or soul. They didn't see the soul in the same way that we do, spirit or soul was interpreted in the wider sense of including those psychological factors when saw someone being described as 'spirited' or having spirit. That part of the chart is the part that is in the light (either from the Sun by day or the Moon by night). What mattered for them is how well the chart allowed the nativity to be illuminated - bringing light into darkness. The Ascendant, which is partly above the horizon brings the purely physical together with the human spirit (as indeed does the Descendant). It is the part of the chart where mankind is differentiated from the animal world (or so they thought).

Beth-Anne

Its just my own addition when reading, it seems to work in showing me additional insights.

kx5

I shall essentially second what everyone has said so far.

The luminaries (Sun, Moon) and the Ascendant are the basic sum of all that you are, which is why when a person is only slightly interested into looking at his astrological profile, he will attempt to find out more about these only. They give the all-encompassing description of a person, which is why a lot of fuss is being made about them. They are truly all-encompassing if you think about the fact that the Sun is about who you are, the Moon is about your inner self, your thoughts, your needs, and the Ascendant is about the ways with which you relate with your environment. And they can only become even more informative when studied in relation to the rest of the planets and aspects in one's natal chart. Keep in mind that apart from the luminaries and the Ascendant, other planets can make a huge appearance in a person if they aspect those three, or if they are, for example, exalted in their own right.

All in all, they are important, but it's entirely worth it to look at the rest of the chart as well.

shatabishak

Compared to your sun and moon sign...some authors think its paramount

I dont agree at all

I think moon first , sun second and ascendant last

My asc virgo is annoying myself all the time, be perfect to the smallest of detials impossible !! my sun libra is struggling and my moon sagitarius doesnt give a crap

In other words at the end of the day i dont care but on a daily basis i do :(

How to integrate all your essential needs....especially if some collide..ie libra just want beauty and harmony around me,,.virgo,,,that 2cm of plaster wasnt filed in in that wall as if it bloody mattered

I would say that my moon is stronger overall, is the moon more important/strong?

In my personal opinion Sun/Moon/Ascendant are equally important.

Long time ago I read a book about the karmic approach of astrology. According with the author, The ascendant is something you need to learn through your entire life. The moon is what you have gained in the past. The sun will be your soul/spirit in terms of who you really are, no matter the body or life you have at the present. Maybe at this point you don’t feel related with it but at certain point, you will.

My ascendant is in Aries, my sun is in Pisces and my moon is in Aquarius. Truth be told, I feel more related with my moon than my other placements. However, I have found that my entire life develops in the direction of the Ascendant and the Sun. I consider myself introvert (not shy) and I prefer been alone in my weirdness, but I have noticed that my lesson in this incarnation is to show myself to the world. It does not mean that I will be a “superstar” or something like that, but I need to display to others my personal power. It’s a dichotomy between Pisces/12th house “hide under a rock” and Aries/1st house “l am here”.

In your case, I think it will help you to analyse the house in which your Ascendant ruler is (Mercury) because it will indicate you where the qualities of Virgo are needed.

fade

i personally think the ascendant is very important, but there are some problems. i read somewhere that magi astrologers don't even use the ascendant because of the inconsistencies in recording birth time (some consider it the moment the baby is fully birthed, some say it's when they cry for the first time, some might not record the time until the baby is cleaned up, etc) but I still think you would be missing a huge piece of the puzzle.

have you checked your house placements? moon in sag with a virgo rising is probably in the 4th house, the moon's natural house, which strengthens it. you also want to look at the rulers of your sun, moon, and ascendant to get a better picture too.

IMO, sign and house placements & aspects to the moon & ascendant are both very important in a chart. they are two of the most personal points being that they move degrees faster than most others. meaning they are more specific to the native. you can't really deny the sun, but as far as personal points go i would say those are the ones.

slightly off topic, but on another forum i read a 1st grade teacher who said they liked to look up their student's sun and moon sign to observe their behaviour and she said that children almost always act their moon out and the sun doesn't come into play much until later years.