The Book of the Law Study Group 2.21

Grigori

Aiwass said:
21. We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world. Think not, o king, upon that lie: That Thou Must Die: verily thou shalt not die, but live. Now let it be understood: If the body of the King dissolve, he shall remain in pure ecstasy for ever. Nuit! Hadit! Ra-Hoor-Khuit! The Sun, Strength & Sight, Light; these are for the servants of the Star & the Snake.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

Aeon418

This one is going to be good. Literalists love this one. Lets see how quickly the excreta hits the air-con. :laugh:
But who's been paying attention to the recurring theme of the previous verses? ;)
Liber Tzaddi - 26. This also is compassion: an end to the sickness of earth. A rooting-out of the weeds: a watering of the flowers.
The subject of compassion within Thelema is a difficult one because a lot of people automatically assume it means being kind, feeling sorry for others, pitying them and their misfortune. Not so. See MWT, letter 46:
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/mwt/mwt_46.html

This weak ego centered compassion is damned by Hadit. Thelemic compassion is actually closer to what the (controversial) Tibetan Buddhist, Chögyam Trungpa, called Ruthless Compassion. It has nothing to do with feeling good. It is not driven by a desire to appear nice and kind or sooth the wants of the ego. It is doing that which is necessary in a given situation, and that can be very, very hard. Most people when they encounter a distressing situation begin to feel uncomfortable. We don't like these feelings and want them to go away as quickly as possible. So we set about doing things, anything, that will alleviate and sooth our own sense of distress and unease. We like to call this compassion. It might make us feel better, but it doesn't always do much good. In a way it's like putting a bandage on a wound that hasn't been cleaned. Yes, the cleaning process is going to be painful, but has to be done. It does no good to run away from that fact. It takes real strength to stand your ground and confront negative feelings, to really feel and own them. It's easy to surrender to weakness, retreat from these feelings and seek safety in something soothing. Awwwww... there, there.

From Trungpa's, Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. [Emphasis added]
To the conventional way of thinking, compassion simply means being kind and warm. This sort of compassion is described in the scriptures as "grandmother's love." You would expect the practitioner of this type of compassion to be extremely kind and gentle; he would not harm a flea. If you need another mask, another blanket to warm yourself, he will provide it. But true compassion is ruthless, from ego's point of view, because it does not consider ego's drive to maintain it self. It is "crazy wisdom". It is totally wise, but it is crazy as well, because it does not relate to ego's literal and simple minded attempts to secure it's own comfort.

The logical voice of ego advises us to be kind other people, to be good boys and girls and lead innocent little lives. We work at our regular jobs and rent a cozy room or apartment for ourselves; we would like to continue in this way, but suddenly something happens which tears us out of our secure little nest. Either we become extremely depressed or something outrageously painful occurs. We begin to wonder why heaven has been so unkind. "Why should God punish me? I have been a good person, I have never hurt a soul." But there is something more to life than that.

What are we trying to secure? Why are we so concerned to protect ourselves? The sudden energy of ruthless compassion severs us from comforts and securities. If we were never to experience this kind of shock, we would, we would not be able to grow. We have to be jarred out of our regular, repetitive and comfortable life styles. The point of meditation is not merely to be an honest or good person in the conventional sense, trying only to maintain our security. We must begin to become compassionate and wise in the fundamental sense, open and relating to the world as it is.

Q: This ruthless compassion sounds cruel.

A: The conventional approach to love is like that of a father who is extremely naive and would like to help his children satisfy all their desires. He might give them everything: money, drink, weapons, food, anything to make them happy. However, there might be another kind of father who would not merely make his children happy, but who would work for their fundamental health.

Q: Why would a truly compassionate person have any concern with giving anything?

A: It is not exactly giving but opening, relating to other people. It is a matter of acknowledging the existence of other people as they are, rather than relating to people in terms of a fixed and preconceived idea of comfort or discomfort.

Why the vice of Kings? This one is important.

Q: Isn't there a considerable danger of self-deception involved with the idea of ruthless compassion? A person might think he is being ruthlessly compassionate, when in fact he is only releasing aggressions?

A: Definitely, yes. It is because it is such a dangerous idea that I have waited until now to present it...

... At the stage of which I am speaking, if a student is to actually practice ruthless compassion, he must have already gone through a tremendous amount of work: meditation, study, cutting through, discovering self-deception and sense if humour, and so on. After a person has experienced this process, made this long and difficult journey, then the next discovery is that of compassion and prajna. Until a person has studied and meditated a great deal; it would be extremely dangerous for him to try to practice ruthless compassion.

Aeon418

We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel not.
We've already come across this reference to a lack of feeling* twice before in I:31 & II:18. In both cases I believe it is suggested that the elemental/ego self acts as a kind of selective filter of experience. And the ego-self is very picky about what it feeds on because it works on the basis of fear and the need to protect itself. But it's not the ego's job to decide what will and will not be experienced. Thou hast no right but to do thy will. The ego has to align itself with the True Will and thereby become a proper vehicle for that Will.

But if the ego digs in it's heels and refuses to budge, refuses to open up to experience, and sits inside the "safe" walls of it's self created Tower, then Hadit's answer is "Fine. Suit yourself".

(* I'm wondering if this is an attack on the unbalanced aspects of Netzach. Because the next target it Reason/Hod)

Always Wondering

I've never had a problem with this concept of compassion. I've always called it rigorous honesty. But I come from a therapeutic and 12 step background, so I can't imagine my life without it.
Plus I'm a Sag, I can always blame it on that. I am not the most popular of people. :laugh:

That Thou Must Die: verily thou shalt not die, but live. Now let it be understood: If the body of the King dissolve, he shall remain in pure ecstasy for ever. Nuit! Hadit! Ra-Hoor-Khuit! The Sun, Strength & Sight, Light; these are for the servants of the Star & the Snake.

Perhaps I am being pigheaded, or daft. Pure Ecstasy Forever vs Nothing? I can't seem to reconcile the two.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I've never had a problem with this concept of compassion. I've always called it rigorous honesty. But I come from a therapeutic and 12 step background, so I can't imagine my life without it.
But what if we were to consider this verse as a course of action aimed at the outcast and unfit aspects of the little ego self. The enemy within is always the hardest to fight.

This verse reminds me of the sentiments expressed in Mark 9:45-47.
If thy foot offend thee cut it off. If thine eye offend thee pluck it out.
Of course to take this in a literal sense would be ridiculous. But taken symbolically it's very much in the same ruthless, compassionless spirit as AL II:21.
Always Wondering said:
Plus I'm a Sag, I can always blame it on that. I am not the most popular of people. :laugh:
I'm a Sag rising, so you're in good company. Oh, the joy of being outspoken ........ and the touble that frequently comes with it. :laugh:
Always Wondering said:
Perhaps I am being pigheaded, or daft. Pure Ecstasy Forever vs Nothing? I can't seem to reconcile the two.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Can you elaborate?

Can anyone else see the discipline (and results) of yoga in this verse?
"If the body of the King dissolve" reminds of the a description of zazen as the great dropping away of body mind. But pure ecstasy forever? Well isn't one of the qualities of Dhyana/Samadhi characterised as a complete lack of time sense. So how long does an experience last in a state where there is no time?

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
But what if we were to consider this verse as a course of action aimed at the outcast and unfit aspects of the little ego self. The enemy within is always the hardest to fight.

This verse reminds me of the sentiments expressed in Mark 9:45-47.

Well now I got to thinking too much. On a grosser level this seems obvious. If I am unwilling to be honest with myself then what is the point? Ego has skewed all perception and denial reigns both inward and outward. If this is severe enough to keep me from functioning in family or society there is more of a chance that others step in with ruthless compassion.
But when it comes down to something so personal as True Will, where I am infringing only on myself, it seems to get subtle and slippery. Rigorous honesty can be a double edged sword. I could sit in my tower and slash myself to pieces. Sometimes it is not so easy for me to know if I am clinging to the Tower or wandering with the Hermit.

Aeon418 said:
Of course to take this in a literal sense would be ridiculous. But taken symbolically it's very much in the same ruthless, compassionless spirit as AL II:21.

It's amazing I still have both eyes and both feet :laugh:

Aeon418 said:
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Can you elaborate?

Well now this is where I start to sound like a burned out old hippie and stop making sense even to myself. :|
But this helps

Aeon418 said:
Can anyone else see the discipline (and results) of yoga in this verse?
"If the body of the King dissolve" reminds of the a description of zazen as the great dropping away of body mind. But pure ecstasy forever? Well isn't one of the qualities of Dhyana/Samadhi characterised as a complete lack of time sense. So how long does an experience last in a state where there is no time?
Exactly. This to me seems like the closest to “Nothing” that I can imagine. Perhaps my idea of bliss or ecstasy is keeping me resistant. Any result I have had so far with classic meditation has hinted more toward the relief of nothing rather than what I perceive as bliss.
But I will keep practicing.

Aeon418 said:
I'm a Sag rising, so you're in good company. Oh, the joy of being outspoken ........ and the touble that frequently comes with it.

Well naturally, I rather appreciate this about you. ;)

AW

Grigori

I quite like you Sag and all AW

There's something about this line that leads me to see Nuit and Hadit as conflicting forces, a battle of the sexes perhaps. Perhaps the false duality of 0=2 is running amock in my brain.

While I can't back this idea up in context (e.g. 1.31 where Nuit says a very similar thing as the current line) and it seems "off" even as I type this, this gender conflict feeling keeps popping up for me.

I think it came from trying to read the "For they feel not" as "For they feel Nuit". In that light it reads more like the "Kings" are a masculine force associated with the more masculine Hadit and perhaps things more Osirian. In contrast to the outcast and the unfit, who would be more welcome with the all-receptive feminine Nuit.

Freddie

This is the type of ethos I am studying as a counsellor and I am putting it into practice a bit at a time. I am finding that alot of Crowley has written about Thelema has been manipulated and quoted out of context by ignorant Christian fanatics (I'm openminded) who are too thick to research the history/benefits of Thelema.

My honest question this: If I feel my true will is to teach and work (and feel true love in my heart for) with people who have a disabilty does this make me a weak person? I found this path later in life after many years I pursued another occupation (singer/songwriter) to no avail (worked in all the while factories instead to play the bills).

I read this book as a young man and if befuddled me, but makes more sense to me at 45.

Freddie

Aeon418

similia said:
In that light it reads more like the "Kings" are a masculine force associated with the more masculine Hadit and perhaps things more Osirian. In contrast to the outcast and the unfit, who would be more welcome with the all-receptive feminine Nuit.
How do you square this with I:6 where Nuit herself says, "Be thou Hadit, my secret centre." Has she suddenly invoked the female prerogative and changed her mind? :laugh:

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
How do you square this with I:6 where Nuit herself says, "Be thou Hadit, my secret centre." Has she suddenly invoked the female prerogative and changed her mind? :laugh:

Nah, like I said, I can't square that idea with much of the BoL, but it is there for me anyways. I'm putting it down to the illusion of duality :)