Tarot of the Old Path Study Goup - Workable?

Are you interested in a Tarot of the Old Path study group?

• Yes.

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd read it, but probably not post.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don't have the deck, and don't have an opinion either way.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Silverlotus

I'd like to start with a thread that gives an overview of the deck. For example, changed titles, colour associations, etc.

From there we can move on to a discussion of each Major card, then minors by number.

I'm also considering starting a thread dealing with flower language, since many of the cards incorperate this. Of course, we would also mention the flower meaning in the thread about the card itself.

Would could also perhaps try to put together a Fool's Journey from the prespective of this deck once we have studied all the Majors.

What is a good time table for new postings on cards? Once a week is a wee bit slow in my opinion.

Also, I will have internet access while on my holiday, but I'd still like to leave the start date of the group until the 29th. Seems like most of us could use the time to make some notes and get to know the deck again. :)

Two of Wands

Hi Silverlotus, and everyone else!

Silver’ I like your suggestion to start the thread by giving an overview of the deck, discussing changed titles, colour associations, choice of suit names/iconography etc, as these are all highly pertinent to this deck and its ideology. Anyway, I look forward to your opening thread on the 29th, on this one!

As for The Language of Flowers, I confess I know nothing about it – but it is certainly called upon and used in this deck. The following links may be of use in exploring the meanings of the flowers in the pictures (for example the yellow lilies underneath The Hanged Man). The first two links are quite useful in understanding where the language of flowers came from, and in getting definitions for each flower quickly. The third is a little more long winded but it does have pictures of many of the flowers – which maybe useful in identifying the flowers in the pictures; again this is something I’d be useless at!

http://www.apocalypse.org/pub/u/hilda/flang.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/flowers/flowers.html

http://www.baacks.com/thelanguageofflowers/

On the timeline for looking at each card, I’d be interested to know how quickly other study groups do this. One suggestion I have is that each time we start a new card we leave a day where people simply post “what they see” ie: mention each thing in the picture, who appears in the picture – how them come across and what they are doing. In other words simply state the basic imagery of the picture and what is possibly going on. This way by the end of the day we should have a good list of what is in the picture – as we are all bound to miss certain things which others spot – and we will have all given our first honest reaction to the card without influencing others by starting to say what they think the iconography means and stands for. After that, when everyone who wants to has added their thread, the true thoughts, discussion, insights and personal knowledge can come into play and we can really get down to debating the card and its ideological and mythological structure.

NB: That’s just a suggestion, and the paragraph was not meant to end up that long!

Finally, it is worth remembering that this Deck was put together by one man and eight women, all of whom brought years of experience and research in spiritual beliefs and customs, physic consultancy, religion (old and new), Wicca, The Occult, ancient symbolism, and The Natural Kingdom.

Hopefully this should be motivation enough for us all to search deep into each card, as there is clearly a lot of knowledge and wisdom behind every iconographic choice in this deck.

See you later!

Silverlotus

Today is the 29th! I'll be posting a couple of threads to get things started today. I'll be using TotOP to help identify the threads. I look forward to hearing from everyone! :)

inanna_tarot

Is the study group still going?

Sezo
x

punchinella

Hey innana, you again! (What a surprise--just finished reading your post on this deck in decks . . . )--P.

Silverlotus

Unfortunately, no. I believe we did make it all the way through the majors though. You should be able to find them in this section.

inanna_tarot

awwww shame its not active!

Oh and hello punchinella hunny! :p

Sezo
x

inanna_tarot

hmm would it be possible to revive the study group? if i found a few more people who would want to add to the forums already created?

Sezo
x