Tarot reversals by Mary Greer

yve

Does anyone have this book? What is your comment on it? Compared to other reversal books out there how would you rate it? I'm trying to find a useful and worthy reversal book to get, but books on tarot are sooo subjective, sometimes the meanings the author assigns to the cards are not based very much on traditional meanings, but on personal meanings, so unless one has access to a book to browse (which I don't), it's a gamble buying a tarot book sight unseen.

lark

yve, IMO this is a must have book.
One of the best book out there.
She does upright and reversed but is very thorough with the reversed section.
If I could only have 5 books this would be in the top 5.
And I have over 140 tarot books so that's saying alot.
It is one of the books I keep on my desk and refer to often.
She is very fair in looking at many different sides of a reversal.
At the bottom of each page she has the traditional meaning printed.
So you can refer to that as you read what her insights are.
She also adds the interpretations of other authors that she has found on the mark for that card.
I don't think you would be disappointed with this purchase.

Cerulean

She lists multiple meanings and their

approriate system. I never regretted the purchase.

Good insights and well organized to me.

Regards

Cerulean

Sulis

Definately a must have book. This book never goes back on the bookshelf, it's always there, right by my bed.

Love

Sulis xx

yve

Thanks for the links, replies and opinions...I can't believe that this book has had nothing but positive reviews! Must be as great as everyone says...something else to go on my wishlist!

Sophie-David

The Heroine's Journey

I just received Mary Greer's The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals in the mail last night. I was immediately struck by "Appendix D: The Heroine's Journey" in which the protagonist lives through each of the Majors in their inverted or reversed position. This really rang a bell with me, and I detected some ironic humour in the narrative.

Early in November last year I asked the Tarot for Cats Majors only deck, "Show me the Inner Beloved". The answer was: The Fool Reversed, which I read as "the counterpart to the ego self, the other, the opposite". From this appendix in Mary's book, page 255, I found an interesting confirmation of this somewhat unorthodox interpretation:
0 - The Fool Rx - The Heroine sets out on a journey, or in many cases, she escapes. Rather than being encouraged, forced or celebrated as in the hero's departure, the departure, for most heroines, may go unnoticed.
How poignantly true, both for women themselves and men's inner heroines!

KatRabbit

I got this book for Christmas (on my specific request - can't leave this things to chance LOL!) I had just started using reversals and felt I needed a bit of help :) I have found it invaluable.

I haven't read the Heroine's Journey yet, but from what has been written, I will have to look it out at the weekend

=^..^=

Sophie-David

Hi KatRabbit

Yes, we usually make wish lists in our family too - but its still exciting when gifts are exchanged since you never know if a person used the list or not, or - if they did - which item they may have found for you.

Being a good Capricorn, there was a time when I wouldn't have dared read ahead to the book's ending - but those days are gone! ;)

David

Little Baron

I received this book yesterday. I have read a couple of chapters so far and am taking it nice and easy.

I did find a few of the different ways of looking at reversals diufficult to understand from the list, but on the whole, there is some food for thought.

As well as the reversed interpretations, the upright ones are interesting too. I am glad that so much has been included for both directions that the card may fall in.

LB