Suggested first Oracle?

euripides

I just realized, while procrastinating for a moment, I don't have a single Oracle in my collection. Actually I do have the Universe Cards, so, one oracle. It's like a little work of art though, so I don't handle it often.

Thinking I could probably use one. I'd love a deck that was well suited to either intellectual pursuits (so, reflecting on work and ideas, rather than big universal themes of love etc), or perhaps something a little quiet, comforting and domestic. Literary even.

Any suggestions?

PathWalker

I would say be sure you actually think you'll read with it, before buying any! Like you say, you've already got one and don't read with it.
I have quite a lot; wonderful artworks, great ideas, but then I go back to tarot again and again! Usually with an oracle, you have to learn a whole new system for each deck, whatever the creator had in mind - I find it easier to return to tarots.

Enjoy the hunt anyway :)

euripides

if you like to read check out my Chakra Oracle

lovely work, Reall. I'll take a look!

I would say be sure you actually think you'll read with it, before buying any!

Good point. The Universe cards are however quite large and rather dramatic. Big ideas. I might take the majors out of one of my less consulted Tarot decks; someone mentioned that as a strategy for more mundane queries. I'm feeling the urge to make a deck (a sure sign that I'm ridiculously busy. There's no way I have the time, it's my creative brain looking for an escape route).

BodhiSeed

If I had to recommend just one - a first one - it would be the Tao Oracle:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tao-oracle/

But I would also encourage you to make a deck too, even if it took a while to complete it. My suggestion for that would be to make the theme around something you're interested in. I've done two: Lojong for the Layperson and Elements of Recovery. :)

euripides

Hmm. I'm a bit 'off' Tao due to a weird experience with a family who tried to proselytize the religion to me, but on the other hand, I did once spend a fair bit of time with I Ching.

Making is sounding like a really nice idea. I have some plastic card sleeves.

I just spent a couple of minutes browsing the Oracles list. Almost every one I clicked as 'sounding interesting' was unpublished/OOP! Typical me lol.

Barleywine

My main focus right now is Lenormand (which, as "not tarot" might qualify as an oracle), and Voyager ("almost" tarot?), so new oracle decks are fairly far down my wish-list. I've been eying the Messenger Oracle for some time, as well as the Enchanted Map. The PsyCards also look interesting, but I may have missed the boat on availability at a reasonable price.

AJ

would you be interested in Australia based ones?
Oracle of the Dreamtime http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/oracle-of-the-dreamtime/
Or would that make you feel like most Native American based make me feel?

there is a similar one but not nearly up to Dreamtime in my book.

I also favor Barry Brailford's Wisdom of the Four Winds which is New Zealand based.

The one that draws or yanks the most out of me is Shaman's Oracle, based on ancient cave art.

AJ

I think it is really well researched and the art is outstanding. I enjoy reading the book every time this deck comes in my deck of the week rotation.

I don't know about there but US Ebay it often turns up for about 10 dollars.