The Process by Dan Pelletier 6 Audio CD's

Sheri

starlightexp said:
So I finally finished and well. . . it was..... all right. All in all it's a nice book, but I wish that if Mr. Pelletier was going to do a book it would have been a more balanced look at tarot other then what misconceptions annoy him. It's more of a series or rants about things that the author disagrees with when it comes tarot traditions but it was still interesting. Some points were pounded in almost becoming over kill like ..It's not about YOU...It's not about YOU...It's not about YOU...It's not about YOU. That was almost every other line at some point and it became a little monotonous. I understsand the point but when for 2-3 minutes at a time at several points of the book that's ALL that's being said it was almost enough to get me to hit the fast forward button. But did get me to think on some things and that’s a good thing.

I wouldn't say "rants" -- there's a sharing of individuality in those discussions. The message being shared isn't "here's a bunch of things I don't like" it's about saying "hey, YOU don't have follow what others say, do your own thing." plus, I think it's OK that he shares his own opinion on things. He's empowering you to share yours, too, as you have.

Regarding the many YOUs... My personal take is that maybe it isn't used enough! Its a focus because it needs to be. What is the biggest barrier to me being a great reader? ME. My fears, my issues, me... The person I am. When I read, I have to abandon my ego--the self doubt, the fears of being wrong, the worries about whether the next sitter is really a fundy who's going to confront me, the fear of not being paid... All of it has to go, so I can clearly hear the message the cards have for the sitter. I am only the conduit through which the message passes, no more important to the sitter than the pizza guy bringing the pizza. I'll remember them, but I don't expect them to remember me (although it's nice when they do! :D), they are supposed to remember the message not me.

No matter how many times he says it, few will actually take it to heart. Be empowered and let go of yourself... That's when everything changes!

With the book, he puts it all out there. Now it's up to YOU.

:love: valeria

Teheuti

I have to say (as I did in my report) that this is not a book for everyone. There are those who are looking for a very succinct book giving specific meanings for the cards and directions for reading them. There are others who are interested in the psychological applications and Jungian archetypes. Still others want to learn only the GD or some other system of correspondences. Some will find the supposed digressions and repetitions annoying. By reading the comments here, those people get the chance to realize that they probably won't want to pay a lot of money for an audio book they will not like.

For instance:

PRO: Can apply to any deck.
CON: Can apply to any deck (I want to know the meanings of cards in ____ deck.)

PRO: Makes deep, subtle references to seemingly unrelated things allowing me to apply the metaphoric significance in my own way.
CON: Wastes my time talking about unrelated topics.

PRO: Love Dan's voice and ironic, sometimes scathing, wit.
CON: Hate Dan's voice and failed attempts to be humorous.

See, it's all a matter of need and perspective. It's great to know why individuals like and dislike this audio book. (I'm on the PRO side, but I find it fascinating to hear what others don't like.)

Sheri

I certainly wasn't trying to negate anyone's opinion on the book. Just offering my own insight into some of the points brought up.

I certainly apologize if I came across in any other way.

Greg Stanton

starlightexp said:
So I finally finished and well. . . it was..... all right. All in all it's a nice book, but I wish that if Mr. Pelletier was going to do a book it would have been a more balanced look at tarot other then what misconceptions annoy him. It's more of a series or rants about things that the author disagrees with when it comes tarot traditions but it was still interesting. Some points were pounded in almost becoming over kill like ..It's not about YOU...It's not about YOU...It's not about YOU...It's not about YOU. That was almost every other line at some point and it became a little monotonous. I understsand the point but when for 2-3 minutes at a time at several points of the book that's ALL that's being said it was almost enough to get me to hit the fast forward button. But did get me to think on some things and that’s a good thing.
This is exactly what I loved about these CDs. There are plenty of books out there with a "balanced" look at Tarot -- nice, safe little tomes that tow the party line. I'd rather hear someone's opinions, insight and perspective than the same old stuff repeated over and over. Really, every time I pick up a book that has that little half moon on the spine I end up putting it back on the shelf. Most of the books published are by professional writers -- people who do research, not people with actual experience.

I don't agree with everything he says, but it's fun to hear him say it. And lets face it, the fake history of tarot cards MUST be laid to rest, once and for all. I love that he recommends A Wicked Pack of Cards and History of the Occult Tarot -- two books that essentially debunk everything most people assume to be true on the subject. I know an author who submitted a book that took the same stance to all the well-known New Age publishers. The verdict was that his stuff was too edgy and upsetting. I'm glad there are people out there who have the big steel balls to say what needs to be said -- handwringers and mystical delusionists be damned.

Teheuti

valeria said:
I certainly wasn't trying to negate anyone's opinion on the book. Just offering my own insight into some of the points brought up.
Sorry. I didn't mean this as a put down of your post. It simply reminded me of the appreciation I have for reading negative reviews as well as positive ones. At Amazon, for instance, I always read a couple of the top reviews and then I go to the one and two star reviews. It's the latter reviews that often clarify for me if this is a book I'll find of interest or of something to be aware of when reading the book.

In an Amazon review someone lambasted one of my books for listing "further readings." Basically she seemed to think I was cheating her out of something by not including all that material, too. I think it's great if others who agree with her don't read my book. Certainly, no one has to read my references, but anyone who thinks I should be the "be-all-end-all," and that my mentioning other books shows I am willfully withholding information is not going to enjoy my books. I'm glad they are forewarned.

All Is One

I like the feeling that I'm getting a personal perspective from a human being with a personality. The books with the half moon on the spine, to which Greg Stanton refers, are incredibly lacking in a presence for the author. They are bland and anonymous.

I want personality in a deck or a book as much as I want the universal. I want prejudice and opinion. I want wild flights of fancy. I don't mind mixed metaphors as much as I mind the lack of metaphors all together. Dan doesn't mix metaphors. I haven't finished "The Process" as I'm saving it. What I have heard is wonderful.

I second everything Valeria said. I don't think "The Process" is for everyone. I don't think it should be.

Baroli

Personally, I think Valeria hit the nail on the head and drove it home. When you can learn to just let go and let the message come through, amazing things start to happen and not just the imparting of a message to the sitter.

As a former educator, I think this book makes a wonderful tool to use in teaching tarot. (Notice, I use the keyword "tool"). I came up during the time when there were no books persay, just Mary's and maybe a couple of others. But my book until I picked up Mary's, was my journal and my mind. That is how I learned to read, that is how I teach others to read and in turn that is how I learn. I have a student right now, who just ordered Dan's book, who is so gifted; she blows me away with her interpretations.

True, the book may not be for everyone, but again, I think it can be if we put aside the way we think of tarot and perhaps be adventurous and experience another aspect of reading. Everyone has to find their own comfort zone, for me, it is reading the way I do and now having a better grasp of what I do because I listened to Dan about pruning roses. :D

avalonian

Greg Stanton said:
I don't agree with everything he says, but it's fun to hear him say it.

Absolutely!

I think that is one of the joys of "The Process". I don't think he wants us to agree with everything he says, but rather to learn to think and decide for ourselves and to question things.

If I read a book about Tarot and agree with everything that is written in it then I don't feel that I have learned anything. I think it's the bits that make us stop, think and question that teach us the most, whether it is Tarot that we are learning or something else.

:)

Sheri

Teheuti said:
Sorry. I didn't mean this as a put down of your post. It simply reminded me of the appreciation I have for reading negative reviews as well as positive ones. At Amazon, for instance, I always read a couple of the top reviews and then I go to the one and two star reviews. It's the latter reviews that often clarify for me if this is a book I'll find of interest or of something to be aware of when reading the book.

In an Amazon review someone lambasted one of my books for listing "further readings." Basically she seemed to think I was cheating her out of something by not including all that material, too. I think it's great if others who agree with her don't read my book. Certainly, no one has to read my references, but anyone who thinks I should be the "be-all-end-all," and that my mentioning other books shows I am willfully withholding information is not going to enjoy my books. I'm glad they are forewarned.

Oh, no offense taken, Teheuti :D After you posted, I read my post again and thought it might have come off a bit strong -- which I didn't intend. I agree with others that one of the key points of the book is that you don't have to agree with everything - or anything that Dan says... or with anything that anyone says here. The point is to find your own way.

For me, there were things that I knew that were confirmed, there were things I kind of understood that I finally really understood, and there were things that were new concepts that have really changed how I read, which I found very exciting, so I tend to get rather animated about it when I talk (or write) about it :D

Alta

I also would not mind reading the comments of those who didn't care (as much) for the product, it gives a balanced picture for the potential purchaser. I don't think those need to be refuted because they are true reaction of the listener and as Teheuti says, not everyone would receive this point of view, this delivery, this content in the same way.