A Certain Mature Age To Read At?

tarotbear

I started about age 35-37 - so maybe your friend was right!

In my classes I did have the couple of 24-27-year-olds, but the majority of my students were 35+ ... and up!

MeeWah

I think it depends on the individual.

I discovered I could read with regular playing cards at 11. & I began reading for friends. & subsequently, for their parents who were amongst my first adult clients.

I was 18 when I found the RWS deck at a Brentano's book store (and the rest is history).

Edited to add: I actually received my first lessons in interpersonal relationships via card readings for others. Those experiences have contributed to my maturation as an individual & as a reader.

SA12

I started learning astrology at 8 when my father died, and tarot/playing card divination followed around 9/10. However, I will say that as I've grown into my late 20s, with any number of "Fool's journeys" behind me and still to come, I've been able to expand my study of tarot in many new and wonderful directions -- it just depends on what "speaks" to your experiences and spiritual self at the time. To me, it really isn't so much about age as it is the devotion to the study and open-mind ready to learn. There are plenty of people, whether aged 15 or 45, who pick up the cards and just want a romantic prediction about so and so; the more serious/genuinely curious students of tarot are always smaller in number no matter what age demographic.

VGimlet

I was 11 when I got my first deck, however if I'd known about reading with playing cards I'd have probably started when I first became interested in cartomancy, around 9 or so.

I will say my readings probably have more depth now, but I sure had fun with the cards back then. :D

Emma_Leviathan

I believe that it doesn't matter what age you start. I just recently started (I am 17) and I believe that my readings CAN be just as good as someone older then I am that are just starting off as well. Age doesn't have anything to do with it at all. I believe it has more so to do with the interest in tarot.

direwolf336

I can say this for sure, I would have loved to had been introduced to Tarot as a kid. I don't known that at that time if I would have the insight and abilighty to read ,but to learn about them and study the artwork would have been wonderful!!

angelika

I am 45 and only began reading 9 months ago. I love it, find it so helpful to my life and in helping others. I wish I had known about it sooner for I was always a believer that I understood intuitively things that others missed or chose not to see. So I would have welcomed it into my life. Now that I am immersed in this world (though still hidden from most others in my life, which is why AT is so enriching as I can let myself go here!) I think how much better I would have managed my life and relationships up to now. So I am inclined to think the earlier the better. I have two children, 15 and 18, and I want to offer my knowledge to them but don't know how to introduce it.

I love with Le Fanu said about the fears of a child! But still - worth the wisdom that can come with the cards.

Cenozoic

I started right at the beginning of this year at the age of 21. I did a cartomancy 'test', with a tarot book meaning, and I was shocked! Like jaw-droppingly shocked. Not only was it accurate, but it was like I was having an inner dialogue conversation with it. It was an amazing experience. But I was hooked from that day on. My boyfriend gave me my first tarot deck, and now I have a tiny collection.... so proud of it...!

Also, the age doesn't matter. I think that what we're doing is beyond age! It's perhaps even ageless... And I think that which ever age our fool's journey began at, was the right age! :)

KMilliron

I got my first deck at thirteen/fourteen and forgot about them until I was sixteen. Then I dabbled. Started taking them seriously at seventeen. I am currently nineteen. I think I'd be too impatient to wait until my mid or late thirties, haha.

Fianic

I started reading about a year and a half ago at the age of 20. In terms of actually learning Tarot, the first two months were painful. Then I found the right reading style for me and it took me about 6 months of study to get "good".

But when it comes to maturity and life experience, it just depends on the individual. I've really felt myself change and mature over my years at university. Although I know people who claim that they haven't changed at all from when they were still teenagers.

In my case, I'm the youngest in my family by a huge age gap so a lot of my life learning actually came from other people's experiences, coupled with my own.