A Client's Well-being

Achlys

I would tell them the truth, yes. I wouldn't lie to a client.
But I use spreads that not only tell the situation, but give the Seeker advice on things they can do to change or otherwise cope with the situation.
It's about empowering the Seeker. You don't just tell them the situation won't get better, but instead offer possible solutions or possible changes to their behavior that can affect the situation in a positive manner.

nisaba

That was pretty much my point too, Achlys.

SunChariot

It's about empowering the Seeker. You don't just tell them the situation won't get better, but instead offer possible solutions or possible changes to their behavior that can affect the situation in a positive manner.

Very much agreed. Sometimes, for me, that might even include changes in the way they are actually thinking inside about the situation so that they feel more positive inside on the topic. And are putting the focus on the positive sides of it, not on any perceived negative ones. There are usually many sides to the same issue.

Babs

Chiriku

A querent comes to you distraught over their relationship with another person. Your understanding of the cards you pull is that the situation won't get better. Your intuition about the client is that they are emotionally unable to accept or benefit by this message in their current state.

Do you tell them the truth anyway, or something else?

The only time I've ever glossed over what was in the cards was when (minor, young) children were involved--- reading for kids, or conveying to the parents what was in the children's readings.

Many querents are not able to emotionally or intellectually process a message at the time it's given. For some of them, the moment of self-awareness later in time will be accompanied by remembering the reading. I consider that a success story.

Others will never be able to process (or accept) what they heard and may even write off all readings as useless or hocus pocus. That's too bad but won't change my reading style.

People in general often need time to digest and make sense of worrisome ideas. I don't think avoiding readings altogether or selectively leaving out messages is the antidote to this common aspect of human life.