Has anyone ever confronted you over reading in public?

Caedryn

lark said:
Yes, I was with a group of fellow readers ...we were on our way to do readings for an event...and we stoped at DENNY"S for dinner.
We all decided to take out the decks we had brought with us and share about them and do a little pre-event spread to see how things would go that night.
Our delightful waitress alerted the manager, and the manager came to the table and told us we would have to "put those things away."
And if we didn't he had the right to ask us to leave.
I pointed out that there was a couple with two bibles open in full view having a bible study at the table right across from us...and that that was their spiritual preference, and this was mine...yet they were not being asked to leave...why was what we were doing any different??
(Actually they were probably the snitches.)
Others in my group made similar observations and loud talking ensued....
And we got kicked out..never to set foot in a DENNY"S again.

They could be sued for that. I hope you at least did not pay your bill. Gezz...if you had a pentacle on...they may have taken you over to the barbecue grill ;)

~ C

Chiska

Caedryn said:
They could be sued for that. I hope you at least did not pay your bill. Gezz...if you had a pentacle on...they may have taken you over to the barbecue grill ;)

~ C

Funny - the local Denny's here is actually the meeting place of a local Pagan group. Hub-cap sized pentacles and everything!

Nytebugg

I've never been confronted or had any issues when reading in public. Most seem curious in that good way.

I have a friend who did get a warning that she should be careful with those dangerous things from a waitress in a restaurant similar to Denny's. she and her other friend thought it was so odd and told the waitress they would be careful of paper cuts.

Baroli

Yes, I was "caught" by one of my fellow churchgoers a long while ago, reading at a bar/restaurant. lol my question to her was what are you doing in the bar area of the restaurant??? I also pointed out that she really should take a look at the pictures because they're for the most part Christian (I was using RWS).

Nevertheless, the sh*t hit the fan, my pastor emailed me, people called me up, oh yes, they were going to do an intervention, it was then that I decided that no one had the right to tell me what to do in a restaurant especially when it was okay'd by the owner, what to read, what to look at, and long story short, left that church.

ETA: And especially do that in the name of the Lord.

pyrogyne

I have been told, in a local restaurant in the town I used to live in, that I was damning myself to hell. Fortunetelling, she said, was a sin against God. This was from a patron, not an employee.

I was told in that same restaurant, a couple of years later, that I would have to put the cards away; I didn't feel discriminated against, however, because they even told a group playing whist to put their cards away as well...something about groups playing games taking up tables for far too long. I could understand that; the waitresses and the establishment make their money from table turnover, after all.

cheers,
pyrogyne

AmethystEyes

nejigurlmimi said:
not really in a public place like a restaurant but i was told to put my cards away when i was in school when we had a break <.<
Oh gosh! I went to a Catholic school, if I did that they would have probably got a priest and taken me to the chapel and dipped me in holy water :laugh: No offense to any Catholics :D

Chiska

DevilishAngel said:
Oh gosh! I went to a Catholic school, if I did that they would have probably got a priest and taken me to the chapel and dipped me in holy water :laugh: No offense to any Catholics :D

LoL - Dipped in holy water...AND THEN...given your penance.

When my friend and I got caught with cards, that is what happened to her -- well maybe not the dipping, but she had a bunch of Our Fathers and Hail Marys AND she had to go do the stations at the convent... Luckily, the Bishop at that time was a pretty cool dude and felt that she had no evil intention.

Me? I didn't get in trouble. My parents didn't care.

AmethystEyes

Chiska said:
LoL - Dipped in holy water...AND THEN...given your penance.

When my friend and I got caught with cards, that is what happened to her -- well maybe not the dipping, but she had a bunch of Our Fathers and Hail Marys AND she had to go do the stations at the convent... Luckily, the Bishop at that time was a pretty cool dude and felt that she had no evil intention.
Maybe they should have to give penance for ignorance :bugeyed: As the police say, ignorance is no excuse :p

Lillie

Chiriku said:
I know some here read for themselves or for others in very "naked" locales such as busy cafes and train dining cars.

Has anyone ever come up to you and expressed disapproval?

Did a waiter or shopkeeper ever tell you it wasn't allowed in their cafe/establishment?

What did you say to them? If you had a sitter with you, how did s/he react?

Yeah, mad old woman on the street wanted to save my soul.

I was polite.
I thanked her for her concern but told her that I believed differently to her.
She went away in the end.

I wasn't reading for anyone at the time, I was deal shuffling the cards.

Not nearly as bad as drunks who don't care what you are doing but think that you are their best friend and want to tell you their life story, or shoplifters who want to tell you about what they have just stolen.
The first won't go away for ages, but you can usually get rid of the second by telling them you saw a policeman in the distance.

Amazing the people you meet while sitting on a pavement.
All part of life's rich tapestry.