How do you use astrology *for yourself*?

RohanMenon

Context:

A friend (who is learning astrology) was blindsided by an unfortunate event (the sudden death of a healthy parent) which seemed to come totally out of the blue, but when he looked back at his solar and lunar return, the symbolism was very clear. There is nothing much he could have done, even in retrospect, (his father collapsed and as per the doctor who wrote the death certificate, was dead before he hit the ground), but at least if he had been watching his returns properly (or using his knowledge of astrology as a 'radar') at least he could have been mentally braced for unfortunate events.

So now I'm asking the more experienced astrologers here how they integrate their knowledge of astrology into their daily lives. Do you try to see fortunate/difficult times coming? Do you use astrology to intepret events as they happen to/around you? Do you try to catch the wave and surf it? do you try to shift the odds with your astrological knowledge?

Many people here (e.g Sharla, Ronia) seem to use horary astrology to predict the outcome of specific events like a job hunt. And Dave (dadsnook) seems to use his variant of solar/Transit-Moon-on-natal-Sun) returns to get an idea of the potentials in the future.

I'm interested in how anyone reading this integrates astrology into their daily lives.

(note: This question is not about using astrology to predict *other* people's lives or counseling them etc, only about how astrologers use astrology in their own lives)

Thanks in advance.

I'll start off..

Fwiw, after observing the above incident happening to my friend, I'm paying more attention to solar and lunar returns (which is the only reliable prediction technique I know). I've already identified some possible trouble spots later this year.

Purely from my experience, I've noted that transits involving the lord of the profected ascendant seem to be 'event bringing'. So I'm keeping an eye out for a couple of those too.

I've never been able to make primary directions or secondary progressions work as a predictive device/radar, but that may be just my lack of knowledge.

So in essence I (a) watch solar and lunar returns, (b) pay attention to partile transits involving lord of the profected ascendant. (c) make a daily note of where the planets are with respect to my natal horoscope and relate events to these positions where possible - a surprisingly educational exercise.

Barleywine

From a predictive standpoint, I usually do annual solar return, secondary progression (primarily the Moon) and slow-moving transit charts (I haven't delved into primary directions or lunar returns yet). Then on a monthly basis I look up the faster-moving planets to find the timing of any upcoming major aspects, ingresses, retrogrades, returns, etc. I don't do this on a daily basis unless I see something at the beginning of the month to watch out for. If I'm approaching a major event of some kind, I will add an event chart to the mix. I tend to look more for the background "tone" of the target period than for any kind of specific manifestation, since I haven't found transits to be especially reliable for precise event prediction. It reminds me of the old Monty Python sketch: "A minute passed, and then another minute passed, and then another minute . . . passed . . . and nothing happened."

Here's the whole thing :)

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/minutepassed.php

CosmicBeing

I'me a newbie....

I am not advance in any method with astrology yet.... so I may try new methods or stuff and end up being wrong.

I always been into prognostic type of stuff.... so i really enjoy speculating what the future may hold. I am more into the predictive side of astrology that is why i am more interested in various traditional forms of astrology because I am not so into modern forms that are use in a more therapeutic form.

But there are so many forms/traditions of astrology I am bombarded with which one I am interested in.

I found a course on MesoAmerican astrology... which peaked my interest in that (it includes the mayan form of astrology).

Other than that the only thing I do with my astrology chart that is I guess "psychological" is vocational stuff. Bettering myself in Career arena is great and also understanding my communication skills. But I am more into the prognostic stuff.

I just haven't really gotten into solar or lunar returns that much. I am still just mostly using horary, planetary time periods (vedic), and still understanding planet interactions.

**Will I am not an advanced astrology... I still was interested in posting a reply. Sorry I have nothing of use to share, but be interesting to see everyone else's reply**

RohanMenon

@barleywine

very interesting. I've never been able to make secondary progressions work. Good to know that you are able to.

"If I'm approaching a major event of some kind, I will add an event chart to the mix. "

By "event" do you mean something like a transit? or a real world event with known timing?

ha ha (monty python). I know the feeling. Most transits don't produce any events, you are right. Still, so far, I find that transits that somehow reinforce what I see in SR/LR and/or involving the profected ASC lord seem to be have a better chance of producing an external world event, so I keep an eye on those

@CosmicBeing
We are all students here. I have about two years of experience (such as it is) with astrology, most of which was spent with modern "psychobabble" astrology. It is only in the last year that I started looking into traditional astrology.

obeygravity

I'm pretty new to timing with astrology in regards to transits/solar returns/etc. But my general rule of thumb is to not really use it to actively predict any major potentially life changing event. I think its just a personal thing but I get kind of weirded out over the idea of having complete knowledge of what can happen. I feel like it takes away from a lot of what makes life interesting and a journey.

With that being said, I have definitely gone back and looked at charts in years where I've had life changing event to pick up on potential patterns (and also to learn more about the roles of the planets in my chart and in relationship to my chart). My father passed when I was a kid and I will definitely say that it was VERY blatant and clear from my chart (both natal with transits and with SR/Progressions). Almost obnoxiously so. I've also looked back on years with other life changing events and they, too, were very blatant.

The most I'll really do now is look at my solar return and progressions as a point of reference for what has already happened. I did, when first learning at progressions, look ahead a couple of years to see the tones those years might bring and saw some major aspects and transits that also look life changing but, because where I stand now may be very different from where I am in a couple of years, I've simply put those charts aside and figure I'll deal with them as they come :laugh: Luckily they didn't seem to coincide with the other patterns I had picked up on from previous tragic events but with life changing things, I feel like even if you know it will happen, you still can't predict how you, at the time of its occurence, will respond to it. Its life changing after all, right?

foolMoon

I am new to the subject, and study,

Natal Charts
Solar Return Charts
Transits
Horary

In the future, I am trying to learn about Solar Arc and Progression, Electional, Medical and Mundane Astrology and using Sabian Symbols. There is so much to read and study in Astrology. I feel it will take life time for me just to read most of the books in my reading list.

dadsnook2000

"Most transits don't produce anything . . ."

If most transit events don't seem to show up as an astrological happening, then some conclusions have to be made.
1) Transits don't work or they are unreliable.
2) Transits require more than just one of themselves to 'cause' an event.
3) Something else triggers events.

So, given these choices, what does one do.

Robert Hand once said that you need to correct for precession (adjust the natal planet's positions) before the transits will work. This isn't completely true, but it is a good hint.

Think about the astrology of days, years, ages past. Think about the horoscope magazines and news columns. What do they say and use?

Eclipses, yes. New and Full Moons, Oh yes, very much so. Today's Sun position, yes, but this implies 'your' Sun position. Your birthday chart --- not necessarily a Solar Return. How about where the Moon is today relative to where and what sign the Sun is in; yes, yes.

So, lets look at some of the above and see what can be done for using them to both track your life and forecast your life, at least in the near term.

The Solar transit to your birthday Sun. Why not chart this date and the time of the Return, and then diurnally advance it. This steps the Sun chart forward each day. The MC advances at the rate of the Sun's daily advance. The Sun stays in its house position for this year, but the transits and advancing transits to the natal planets tell you what is going on for yourself. A very simple tracking and forecasting approach. Usefull, reliable.

New and Full Moons. Where do they fall in your natal chart? They make a back and forth house-sign progression during the year. What do they touch. What happens on during the following two week period that relates to that new or full moon?

And, best of all, what about that Sun position and Moon position for each day. Your natal Sun and Moon paints your approach to life, your lifestyle. How will today's Sun-Moon phase relationship fit with your natal inclinations?

Oh, and that 'hint' that I said was in Rob Hand's remarks. Well, if you cast precession corrected Return charts (Solar or Lunar) you'll find a world of difference in the chart's rotational position. Those charts will read very differently. Dave