Best Bargains

Bhavana

I never got to congratulate Rodney on his tremendous collectors' achievement. I believe I probably speak for many people when I say this deal of the decade couldn't have happened to a nicer tarotist. Well done.

I can't say I've ever had a good tarot bargain. Anything now-sought after that I bought as a first edition was obviously still in print when I bought it, so all those don't count.

I suppose my Herbal Tarot and Sacred Rose tarot, while presumably still in print at the time (and now), were good buys at around $5 each on the Borders bargain table circa the year 2000.

That same year, I also bought a Tarocchi di Alan in Dublin for some gratifyingly low price--like 7 Irish pounds or something at a time when the exchange rate favored Americans. I think it might have been hard to find by then, though not necessarily sought-after (although a rabid collector then, I was not plugged into any formal online collecting communities, so I wouldn't have known such things. And I didn't use Ebay, if it even existed then).

Yes, I'm really digging the bottom of the barrel, here, folks. Such are my paltry "bargains." I question whether true steals are even possible nowadays with all the Ebayers and Amazon Marketplacers and others hiking up their prices to the heavens.

Then I hear about stories like Rodney's...

I suppose to those of us who hang around here a lot, it seems unthinkable that a person--like Rodney's oblivious seller, presumably-- who gets a taste of tarot would not then be sucked more deeply into the wonderful world of decks and collecting. But it must happen. After all, the several people I've met in the offline tarot world who chug along for years with the same one or two decks and never think to go online to research more about tarot history or lore or meanings or DECKS...those types of people exist.

I've met them, so I need to remind myself that they exist and that they often decide to get rid of the small box of old decks they haven't paid any mind to for fifteen years....

We can only hope.
\

I second all this~ and have to admit, wish I had seen that auction! As for the seller, some people wind up with someone else's decks - either they get them at yard sales, or estate sales, or when someone dies....and sometimes people don't want the hassle of selling things, even if they know they are of some value. They'd rather just get a little something for it and be done with it. Perhaps this was the sellers attitude. Or, they had the decks - and let's face it, none of them were really that old - so maybe it didn't occur to them that they might be valuable. And really, ARE they valuable? Not to everyone....but certainly to us!!

rwcarter

I second all this~ and have to admit, wish I had seen that auction! As for the seller, some people wind up with someone else's decks - either they get them at yard sales, or estate sales, or when someone dies....and sometimes people don't want the hassle of selling things, even if they know they are of some value. They'd rather just get a little something for it and be done with it. Perhaps this was the sellers attitude. Or, they had the decks - and let's face it, none of them were really that old - so maybe it didn't occur to them that they might be valuable. And really, ARE they valuable? Not to everyone....but certainly to us!!
I checked the seller's history and they have many more auctions as a buyer. That was only the 6th thing they'd sold and the only tarot thing. I'm guessing she just didn't know (or care) what she had and didn't bother to see what the going prices were even on eBay. But I'm not complaining! :D

Are you saying *your* best or *the* best? I don't know what the Greenwood should have cost, but Frown Strong should have been £80+ so my 75p is about 0.9% :) I'm not being competitive, just I don't think anyone noticed me butting into this conversation of knowledgeable collectors, me the raw ignoramus lol.
Definitely MY best and at the time I believe the best that had been listed. I have no problem with you being the Queen of the Best Bargains though. :)

It's when I hear about things like this, that I start to believe the world is not a random place, but instead is an orderly and fair one. The universe is aware of you, and is sending back just a tiny bit of what you so generously send out all the time. Enjoy! :)
Thanks hunter. Life's been too crazy to even add those decks to my inventory, much less do anything else with them. So they're sitting on the end table waiting for me to get back to them.
I never got to congratulate Rodney on his tremendous collectors' achievement. I believe I probably speak for many people when I say this deal of the decade couldn't have happened to a nicer tarotist. Well done.
Aww, shucks. :| A friend had found a Greenwood at a used bookstore for $12 less than 5 years ago, so I've beaten his best bargain. IIRC he actualy gave his Greenwood to a friend of his who was much more into the deck than he was. Something about "cold, dead hands" springs to my mind though.... :laugh:

Rodney

MandMaud

Definitely MY best and at the time I believe the best that had been listed. I have no problem with you being the Queen of the Best Bargains though. :)
Queen of the Best Bargains ! that's nicer than Queen of Swords.
Though I repeat, I'm not a competitive purchaser. :)

Frank S

Some of my 'Bargains'...

Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot (O.T.O Edtn. (Large)) /£20.00
B.O.T.A Tarot /£10
Tarot de Marseille (Jean Dodal) /£16
Tarot de Marseille (Jean Noblet) /£16
Tarot of The Cloisters /£20
Tarrochi Astro-Fables /£6
Tea Leaf Fortune Cards /£11
The Alchemist (Zerner) /£15
The Mythic Tarot /£7
The Square & Compasses Tarot /£20
The StarGate Deck /£7
The Wormweird Tarot /£24
Russell Grant's Astro-Tarot Pack /£7
Runic Tarot /99p

Frank.

Glass Owl

While not an outstanding bargain, I found a Sharman-Caselli book and card set for $8 at a thrift store today. The front of the box was cut off but the cards are like new (the plastic bands were still on them) and the book is mint.

A little more than a month ago I found a Rider-Waite there. The box is a mess and the lwb is missing but the cards are like new. It was in a bag with a few other goodies for a grand total of $1.95.

Eeviee

Just ordered Lo Scarabeo Tarot Deluxe (Merger of the Big Three + black velvet scarab bag) and Tarot of the Silicon Dawn from Sears.com for... $15.25 US!!!
Apparently, I had $37.99 in 'Shop Your Way' Rewards points (money earned back from spending money at K-Mart for X-Mas this past year). Thought for shits and giggles I would search 'tarot' on their site and found out that Sears.com does sell Tarot items! Who would have known!?
Paid $45.12 for the two decks, $6.99 for 2 Day shipping, found a $5 off $50 dollar online order promo code online, and voia! $15 for two decks (a bag and SD's Companion Book)!

HIGHLIGHT of my day!

Diorbhail

Victorian Romantic Gold

I have just received a Victorian Romantic Gold 1st Edition which I paid £50 for on Ebay this weekend. Unfortunately no journal but it came with the 1st edition companion book. I think this was a bargain! :D I was lucky to have bought my original copy when they first came out. It is still going strong though looks well loved but this one looks like its hardly been used!

greatdane

Second Ed brand new Victorian Romantic

For about 25 U.S. including shipping. I got from a small private vendor, it was sealed, brand new, but I mentioned that the gilt wasn't perfect and she knocked off fifty percent!

Diorbhail

For about 25 U.S. including shipping. I got from a small private vendor, it was sealed, brand new, but I mentioned that the gilt wasn't perfect and she knocked off fifty percent!

That was a good bargain!!! :D

KristinCali

It's probably not a huge bargain but I was searching for the 1st edition Buckland Romani for a while, then I found it like-new with the book for $40 and snatched it up!