Regular RWS Readers: What Is Your Favorite Version?

Terrapin

My favorite RWS for just looking at and admiring is the Albano, but actually the one that inspires me the most when reading is the good old 1971 yellow box version (strangley enough, the one WITH the US Games trademark.) I think the shade of blue used in this printing just really connects with my throat and brow chakras. I can physically feel a difference in energy levels when I compare it to an older pre-trademark yellow box version with slightly more muted blues in it. This older one is IMO a more beautiful deck, but I think it's true---sometimes the deck chooses you.

asphodelia

asphodelia, the Pams refer to the first printings of the Rider Waite deck. I believe that Pam B is the first printing of the deck from 1909 that was warehoused until it was released in the 1930s. Pam A is the printing that was released in 1909/1910. There are also Pam C and Pam D editions. There are many threads about the various editions of the deck. You can see them in this post in the forum index.

Thanks for that link, RWCarter! Only just got my first RW deck (what they sell as 'The Original' in the UK); found it a bit unsatisfying so ended up buying the Universal too. So many versions!

Bhavana

My friend has an older deck they want to trade for a new Llewellyn deck I have - not sure if it is worth it. It's the blue box "Original Rider Wait Tarot Pack". It has "conceived by AE Waite" and "cards designed by Pamela Coleman Smith" on the cover, and what looks like circle that I think is a snake biting it's tail. It's a flat box, titles on one side, Temperance card on the other. I think it is dated early 90's. The cards are in great shape, is this deck considered of value if one can find it?