Which RWS ?

nisaba

I'm not a huge RWS fan.

I have a mini tartan-back, because it was the deck I did my first ever *paid* reading with.

I have a pimped-up full-size tartan-back, just to remind myself what a sad creature I am <grin>.

I have a Diamond, because it is just so trippy. I haven't pulled it out in ages (note to self: do so).

I have a Golden because I was hoping its recolouration would be bearable. It is, but it's a bit flat.

And I have a Radiant, which I use exclusively to play Tarot Solitaire in public, to garner maximum attention <grin>.

I really only have any RWS deck at all because of their historical importance in popularising Tarot in the general community in the last century. It's me being sentimental for the wider world of Tarot generally.

Chiriku

Something I just realised a while ago, even though I have had lots of decks that were RWS based, I have never actually owned a proper traditional RWS. It's a deck that has never appealed to me. So now I want to give one a go.

That was my realization last year. I had a good dozen-plus years of being a tarot collector under my belt and yet had never even cracked the seal on my only RWS, the Giant one, which sat in my collector's steamer trunk, unloved. I already knew the images backwards because of the great many books that print them, and I knew full well the art and coloring were anathema to me.

Oh, I learned on and read with dozens of clones over the years, but never with Pamela's work itself.

Well, last year I gave the Pamela Colman Smith commemorative edition a go, and it was one of the best things I ever did tarot-wise. Knocked me clear off my RWS-hater's pedestal. (I am one who LOVES the backs, by the way).

In fact, I recommend you find my 2010 post in the big long Commemorative review thread; it reveals my astonishment at actually liking an RWS and believing I might one day be able to read with it and ENJOY it.

It's going to be my deck of the week pretty soon.

Edited: But I will be honest with you that I still will never love the RWS, any incarnation. Pamela, as the commemorative edition book reveals, was a very talented and skilled artist, but her work on the deck does not, IMO and to my tastes, demonstrate that.

cardlady22

Did you get yours from Alida? This looks like it would trim beautifully!
I threw myself on the mercies of a European friend. ;)
He bought me one; I bought him something from here.

Abrac

The most "traditional" at this point is still probably the one in the yellow box with the Magician on the front. But there are a gillion different varieties even of it. I'd look up past threads and discussions about the different ones. It's been discussed ad infinitum. If you just wanna buy once, the research will pay off. Boot sales, flea markets and antique malls are also a good way to find one on the cheap, and you can actually hold it and look it before you buy it. :)

Emily

My favourite is the Centennial Colman Smith. I like the colouring, not as harsh as the standard RWS, I always disliked the yellow in the normal RWS's. The backs are a nice colour and design and very easy on the eyes. I don't like the copyright mark on the front of the cards but it's a minor dislike.

I have some of the other RWS versions, Radiant, Universal, Original RWS, pocket sized, standard and mini. But the Centennial is still my favourite. :)

Minotauro

I feel you , its good to have it as a kind of "source ! and study material.

if I were in your position I'd go with the cheapest one n_n

otherwise I prefer the original or centenial edition , for I dont care much about the super bright happy rws.

the centenial has my favourite colors , but the backs are awefull , so I chose the original and it feels nice to know this is his cards looked like , this is what he actually saw

now this wont be the prettiest but it has an aged touch I like , I love old looking decks.

Richard

......Are there playing card sized of the standard yellow box RWS?......
Yes. There is a very nice pocket version by USG, 2 1/4 X 3 1/2", printed in China, ISBN-13: 978-0-88079-346-9. It even has the yellow box, but the printing is much better than the full size version printed in Italy. Amazon.com or ebay might have it. If not, I have an unopened backup copy (still in the shrinkwrap) which I don't need.

deb13b

I still can't make up my mind ! There is a shop 30 minutes bus ride away that has the original RW but anything else I will have to get online. And I hate hate hate waiting for stuff to arrive lol. Going to have another look at them online now and come to a decision. I'm a bit surprised to be honest, I've never wanted to have a RWS before. Not sure why I suddenly want it now.