Best Thoth book to start with

Miss Woo

What is the best Thoth book to start with?

I really like the Thoth system and I have recently decided that I actually prefer it to the Rider Waite.

I'm thinking of taking up Thoth Tarot again but I don't know where to start.

My first Tarot deck was actually a Thoth and that was given to me by my mother when I was a teenager. I used it until I was in my 20's and then I stopped. I'm not sure why I stopped but I stopped Tarot altogether and only took it up again last year.

smw

I have found Lon Milo Duquette, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth tarot helpful to get started. I did buy the book of Thoth first and found it pretty cryptic on it's own. There are also some great threads here on the forum that help get chinks in to what is being said.

Good luck with the exploring, especially as you were given the Thoth by your mum :)

Michael Sternbach

I think you should have The Book of Thoth as it is the Master Text - every Thothie will agree.

But I actually also recommend some books that don't adhere to it too closely but which are full with useful psychological insights:

P. C. Tarantino: Tarot for the New Aeon
Gerd Ziegler: Tarot - Mirror of the Soul
Gerd Ziegler: Tarot - Mirror of Your Relationships

gregory

Hm. I loathed Ziegler.

I agree about Duquette and also like Snuffin - The Thoth Companion and Banzhaf: The Crowley Tarot.

Barleywine

Hm. I loathed Ziegler.

I agree about Duquette and also like Snuffin and Banzhaf.

I second those thoughts (especially about Ziegler and Duquette), with reservations about Banzhaf. Snuffin I don't have yet. I like Banzhaf for reference but found the introductory text marginally readible.

Miss Woo

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I will check these out! :)

Miss Woo

I have found Lon Milo Duquette, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth tarot helpful to get started. I did buy the book of Thoth first and found it pretty cryptic on it's own. There are also some great threads here on the forum that help get chinks in to what is being said.

Good luck with the exploring, especially as you were given the Thoth by your mum :)

Thanks! :)

I just want something really simple and not cryptic. I'm no good with cryptic stuff.

My mum was into Jungian Psychology (she died 14 years ago).

Miss Woo

I just bought the Lon Milo Duquette book and the pocket Thoth for $50. What a bargain! :)

gregory

Not cryptic - I'd put Snuffin top of the list. DuQuette is VERY good - but not as digestible.