RWS Group: Favorite Card

Jewel-ry

I have only just received my RWS deck (Radiant) and I really like the hermit. A key meaning for the hermit is that of withdrawing from the outside world and I see that very much in this card. The snowy landscape looks distant. Like the figure has got taller in stature and is looking down on the world almost.

Mystic Zyl

Queen of Wands gets my vote, of course I am a Leo and sucker for any card that has a cat on it!

firestorm

Believe it or not, my fav is the 10 of swords. Everytime I see it, I'm amused. Of course, I see it as a "woe is me" card......tongue in cheek. I take it as a sign of being too dramatic and serious.

The 78th Fool

The Sun is my favourite card in this deck and has been for nearly twenty five years.

I was twelve or thirteen when I first got this deck. I can remember lifting the lid on the blue box (it has the world dancer on the front) and leafing through the cards.

The colours had a fresh, beautiful feel to them and the style of drawing had an almost mythic quality to me ( I don't know if anyone understands me here). Whatever the case, the cards really stirred my heart.

When I reached the Sun card, it just leapt out at me and to this day it still does. I love the face - It's so tranquil amidst the blazing heat. I also think that the disc surrounded by the pattern of straight and wavy rays is just so satisfying as a shape and pattern in its own right.

All these years down the line, I often just look at and handle my Rider Waite for comfort and relaxation. Before long I'm staring at the Sun card again.

I think it's effect was so profound that whenever I buy a deck now, I always look to this card first.

Interestingly, when I was working on my own deck I was more critical of the Sun card than any other. I don't think there was much wrong with the finished result - I just had a much higher ideal in my head to live up to than with a lot of the other cards.

Chris. xx

Ace

I have always liked the 8 of Cups. the idea of leaving money and security behind to go for personal control and spiritual growth is something i have always wanted. And always avoided! :| I wonder if Astra's interp in the WorldTree may not have it right: walking away toward something you THINK is better, but maybe just trying to get away from what you don't want to face!

Anyway, it is a bit of a love/hate relationship, but I still like that card in almost any deck I have worked with.

Chronata: thank you for sharing that story. What an amazing kid!

Peredur

I have always been drawn to the Ace of Cups. There is, for me, something tranquil about the dove, the streams of water and the falling dew. Overtly Christian in some respects, there is also an esoteric symbolism that intrigues me. Is the letter on the chalice a W or M? (This has been discussed in another thread.) Is there a significance to the three bells? Why five streams instead of the four specified by Waite?
Bob

Tor

I like introvert cards like High Priestess and The Hermit, but other than that I must say 10 of pentacles. I like the people, the tower and the dogs. Looks so friendly and safe.

April

I immediately thought of Temerance, but I like that card in almost every deck. It's so quiet and calm.

My real favorite in the RWS is the Eight of Pentacles. I want to be that kid carving stars into discs. It reminds me of arts and crafts at summer camp. He looks like he enjoys his work which is what I'm always looking for.