RWS Group: Favorite Card

Fulgour

April said:
My real favorite in the RWS is the Eight of Pentacles.
I love the way Pam illustrated the 'finished' Pentacles, to show
how the workman is still learning his craft ~ they're all a little
bit off still, since he's just getting the hang of things...
Even how he's simply set to work on a little bench, not with
a big worktable and a full shop of tools and raw materials.
I think of him working there, and in his mind he's thinking,
"I'll make a sign, something to bring in the customers..."
  • pentacles for sale or trade

Rain

Re: Re: Re: 6 of Cups

Kazz said:
The smaller figure's 2nd face is in the hair (the yellow hair) if you look only at the yellow hair, the eyes seem some what closed , the nose, and a small pouted mouth.

:TQC

I can't see it!

Kit

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6 of Cups

Rain said:
I can't see it!
I know what you mean, I had to look for ages before I could work out what everyone was going on about. My only advice is: it's not about how hard you look at it, it's how you look at it. It's like one of those funny pictures, with two pictures in one. :)

My favourite card in the majors is the high priestess and in the minors, the 5 of cups. Then again...I change my mind sometimes...

Raeven

RedMaple

Faavorite Card

The Strength card, the Lady and the Lion is just wonderful.
The Hermit because I am a writer and a bit of an introvert, I suppose, but also because as an artist, that sense of searching in silence and solitude is important.

I also love the 9 of Pentacles and the Empress, which seem very related to me, the woman in the garden, so at home with herself and the earth.

The Page of Pentacles is another I love -- that fish coming out of the cup! Yes -- it is so magical to me.

Blackcat

My favourite card is the High Priestess; I like the crescent moon at her feet, the triple godess crown on her head, the veil with the pomegranates and its correlation with the Persefone myth

jaled

The lovers

The Lovers is my favourite card.

What does it mean for you?

Bumpy_Boo

The 6 of Cups has always been my favourite. I feel it is the "hot cocoa and a blanket" of the RWS deck, and it always puts a smile on my face :D But I have always been drawn to The Fool, too. It is the one card in the deck which always left me dying to know what happens next, after he takes that next blind step.

Bridget

But I would like to share a story, that has made the 9 Swords one of my favorites:

For a while I was teaching seminars and private classes to students wanting to know how to read cards. And most of these classes were for young people, since I started reading before my teens, I always think kids have a wonderful natural ability with Tarot and divination in general.

I always use the Rider-Waite as a teaching tool to start,(because of the huge amount of symbols and visual info) and then allow the students to move on to another deck they respond to.(often a variant of RW, like Hanson Roberts)

I was teaching my first lesson to a young and very serious girl (11 going on 30!) by having her choose cards at random and then telling me a story about what she saw.
Right away, she clued into the 9 of swords, and proceeded to tell me a story about the figure in the bed.

The figure, she said, was the Mother of a man who was injured in a swordfight. (the picture of the fight was on the bed itself,) and the Mother didn't see it for herself, but she was having psychic dreams and nightmares about it.

This was causing her way too much worry.

"Why is it *too* much worry?" I asked her

"Because she doesn't see that God has her covered, that's why the blanket is there.She doesn't need to worry, because worry just makes you sick."

"What about all the swords?"

"Oh those", she smirked, "That's the ladder so she can climb out of being depressed. It will hurt her hands and feet, because she doesn't like to change. But she has to. Otherwise she will be sick, and never leave the bed."

I was amazed at this 11 years olds incredible insight into the human condition, and thanked her for the story. It might not have been the intention of the artist, but it was a great way to describe the meaning of the card!

About that time was when I discovered that I was just as much a student of the tarot as I was a teacher!
And I have always liked the sybolism on this card since that time.
The 9s is my least favorite card in the deck, so it's great to get another perspective on it. Thanks for sharing this story, Chronata!

My favorite card is the Fool. All the cards with that bold yellow background give me a positive feeling, but the Fool especially - he seems so carefree, ready to take on any adventure. I'm afraid I'm not that fearless, but maybe that's why he's so appealing to me.

Emily

One of my favourites from the Centennial Smith Waite is Strength. I didn't notice before that the garland of flowers extends from the lady's waist and around the lions neck. Also the lion is trying to lick her hand.

I like to see the gentle dominance that's portrayed in this card, other versions show real force, like throwing the lion down or wrestling it but you don't have to show brutal force to portray this card, that's not where the strength comes from.

Tiddles

Well, like so many others, I also love The High Priestess. So much symbolism and mystery, and I love how her expressionless face gives nothing away. I also want more of her qualities in myself. Iequally love the Ace of Cups, its just a beautiful card and I like the religious symbolism of it. My Tarot bag is a rich, vibrant blue that has the Ace of Cups embroidered in silver thread on it and I love it.