Yellow-box RWS: Switzerland vs China Printings

rwcarter

I went to Barnes & Noble after work yesterday, fully prepared to pay full price for a yellow-box deck, and they only had Italy printing decks. Oh well. I tried....

rwcarter

This week I received a 12th printing "Printed in Switzerland by Muller & Cie" yellow box RWS that I won off eBay for less than $12 including shipping. A couple of weeks ago another non-USG copyright copy went for $12.95 + shipping. So the older printings are out there and at reasonable prices.

Still haven't managed to find a China printing yet to do a comparison though.

Le Fanu

This week I received a 12th printing "Printed in Switzerland by Muller & Cie" yellow box RWS that I won off eBay for less than $12 including shipping. A couple of weeks ago another non-USG copyright copy went for $12.95 + shipping. So the older printings are out there and at reasonable prices.
I've yet to check my vintage yellow box one to see if it has the copyright symbol. I never got round to it. Like you, Rodney, am forever busy...(You're constantly unwrapping decks and never getting time to do anything else with them) ;)

rwcarter

I've yet to check my vintage yellow box one to see if it has the copyright symbol. I never got round to it. Like you, Rodney, am forever busy...(You're constantly unwrapping decks and never getting time to do anything else with them) ;)
That's too true, unfortunately. But I do have something RWS planned once my most recent purchase arrives.... ;)

Bhavana

I went to Barnes & Noble after work yesterday, fully prepared to pay full price for a yellow-box deck, and they only had Italy printing decks. Oh well. I tried....

I went to youtube and sorted thru all these tarot collection videos till I found this one where the kid has a rider waite with the tartan back, less lamination, more muted coloring, and the PCS writing - this is the set where he got this deck, which I am "assuming" is a china printing. If you can force yourself to watch the video about the rest of his collection, here is that as well....he talks about the two RW he has in the beginning and about 3/4 of the way thru -

http://www.youtube.com/user/eliask93#p/u/258/Ao37U0hbwuw

http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Total-Rider-Waite-Book/dp/0880795182

gregory

Whew. I JUST got mine old yellow box out.

Old style, unlaminated, USG address NY10016, printed by Muller.

No copyright info at all, except on the LWB by Kaplan. Bought in Toronto in the late 1970s.

Is that info any help to anyone ? Or did I take all that EXERCISE for nothing ?

Oops - checks thread.
Print run numbering: mine is an original and has none of any kind. :D Yay me.

Why did we want to compare China prints and do I hafta ? (I do have one. Somewhere...)

Amanda

The one that I have had for the last 10 years is a 54th printing in Switzerland for U.S. Games with the address in CT. I've only had one other Italy printing of the deck. The Italy printing was far more glossier which is why I ended up selling it here on AT in the Trading forum to someone. I'm not familiar with the China printings, but if you don't like the Italian printing, you would probably like the Switzerland copy better.

ETA: I can take a picture of my deck for you...? The cardstock is very nice, but I don't think it has the old font.

Amanda

Here is a comparison of my Swizerland copy and the pocket version I have. I have no idea where the pocket version came from, there was no LWB that came along with it. It could be a China printing, for all I know. If so, then they are very similar as far as stock and finish go... but the lettering is different. The pocket has the old lettering, the Switzerland copy doesn't.

I've included a picture of the box that the pocket deck came in.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 160
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 188

gregory

Has yours the copyright info on the cards - I assume they have.

Amanda

Has yours the copyright info on the cards - I assume they have.

Yep. The Switzerland copy has the copyright symbol followed by "1971 U.S. Games" and my little pocket copy has the copyright symbol followed by "1971 U.S. Games Systems, Inc."