Thoth Study Group - The Chariot

Centaur

Re: The Chariot

Frank Hall said:
Maybe the journey is an inner one, a transforming of ego-centered will or ambition into life of the heart? From gut to Grail.

I really like that idea. I had an insane idea when I read the latest posts that the amethyst grail, is almost like a steering-wheel of sorts. :)

CreativeFire

I have been giving this card quite a lot of thought (particularly after reading the posts about the concept of the Grail in this card) and also Frank Hall's thoughts on 'gut to grail'.

Having read 'The Da Vinci Code' recently my ideas on the Grail have taken a shift (even though I know this is a fiction novel ;) ), but I have also just started reading 'The Woman with the Alabaster Jar' - Mary Magdelene and The Holy Grail.

I know I am not going to explain this very well but please bear with me :) However, after reading these books, the Grail appears to me to be more of the search for the divine feminine and this sort of makes sense to me with the male side being more 'ego-centric and ambition' and the female side more 'heart' and healing, looking within and finding the balance between the two. Just some rambling thoughts here .. and wishing I could put it into words more eloquently ;)

CreativeFire

Centaur

CreativeFire said:
I know I am not going to explain this very well but please bear with me :) However, after reading these books, the Grail appears to me to be more of the search for the divine feminine and this sort of makes sense to me with the male side being more 'ego-centric and ambition' and the female side more 'heart' and healing, looking within and finding the balance between the two. Just some rambling thoughts here .. and wishing I could put it into words more eloquently ;)

It makes sense to me! :D

I am thinking that Crowley's idea of the new aeon might be of relevance to what you are saying. From what I have read on the subject, the first aeon we are aware of was characterised by Goddess worship. The second aeon we are aware of was characterised by God worship. The third aeon refers to the here and now... perhaps a time when the balance is addressed and male and female are united as one? Ofcourse, I could be babbling again!

Parzival

The Chariot

Not babbling! One of the reasons that the Crowley/Harris Tarot continues to stimulate and inspire is its synergy, its calling for transformation by way of combination. No variations and simplifications of it will replace it in this regard.

Centaur

Re: The Chariot

Frank Hall said:
Not babbling! One of the reasons that the Crowley/Harris Tarot continues to stimulate and inspire is its synergy, its calling for transformation by way of combination. No variations and simplifications of it will replace it in this regard.

Yes. I guess it all comes back to that idea about balance; and idea which seems soooooo engrained in this deck, what with the use of alchemical symbolism and the like. :)

Moonudjat

Re: Re: The Chariot

Centaur said:
Yes. I guess it all comes back to that idea about balance; and idea which seems soooooo engrained in this deck, what with the use of alchemical symbolism and the like. :)

Yeah i guess your right, balance seems to be the main theme of this entire deck.

TheoMo

CreativeFire said:

CreativeFire

I was thinking about this card today for a long time (it was my daily card, lol) and this really resonated with me. Crowley describes the Chariot as essentially a water card, the "first keen unrush of the element." Water, passive, associated with emotions, healing and the the heart, and when contrasted with Wands, can definitely be seen as a traditionally female element. But the Chariot also means movement. This, combined with the depiction of Holy Grail held by the charioteer, makes me see this card as an indicator of spiritual development relating to these things associated with water. In other words, moving on in some way with one's life or experiences, and also feeling healed about it.

noby

from The Book of Lies:

:TCHAR 8 :TCHAR

STEEPED HORSEHAIR

Mind is a disease of semen.
All that a man is or may be is hidden therein.
Bodily functions are parts of the machine, silent unless in dis-ease.
But mind, never at ease, creaketh "I".
This I persisteth not, posteth not through generations, changeth momently, finally is dead.
Therefore is man only himself when lost to himself in The Charioting.

COMMENTARY

Cheth is the Chariot in the Tarot. The Charioteer is the bearer of the Holy Grail. All this should be studied in Liber 418, the 12th Aethyr.

The chapter is called "Steeped Horsehair" because of the mediaeval tradition that by steeping horsehair a snake is produced, and the snake is the hieroglyphic representation of semen, particularly in Gnostic and Egyptian emblems.

The meaning of the chapter is quite clear; the whole race-consciousness, that which is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, is hidden therein.

Therefore, except in the case of an Adept, man only rises to a glimmer of the universal consciousness, while, in the orgasm, the mind is blotted out.

:TCHAR :TCHAR :TCHAR

I'm just beginning study of the Thoth deck and just beginning to read The Book of Lies and The Book of Thoth, and find that the former is just as vital to understanding the cards as the latter, if not moreso, as it is more pithy and to the point.

I've always had trouble with this card, and Crowley's thoughts on it have helped to begin to give me a glimmer of some of its aspects. Funny how the Beast, whom many lament as confusing and difficult, actually has helped me understand this card more than I ever have with "easier" authors!

It seems that what Crowley is saying here (in the BoL) is that we human beings are saddled with the question of our existence, and some of us begin to apprehend that the problem is with this I-fixation, this constant filtering of our experience through the sense of self. The key to realizing our true nature and purpose is to transcend this limitation of the mind, but it takes years of discipline to even begin to approach this. And some of the first glimpses we may get into this innate freedom of the mind are when we experience orgasm. Or perhaps the "blotting out" of the mind which happens at the moment of orgasm is more like the unconsciousness of sleep than the unitary consciousness of samadhi, and so it's only the "Adepts" who ever really "get it."

"Charioting" is a fun and interesting euphemism for the sexual act... I know Crowley was big on sexual magick, but I haven't the faintest clue what exactly is so special or so secret about the mind as it is in the bedroom. But I suppose this is because I have not been much of one to be drawn to the complexity of tantric-style attempts to harness and transmute energy. I find the simple and direct approach of Zen ("just sit") to be clear and powerful. But who knows what I would find if I got into this whole notion of working with energies. Certainly, there is a lot of powerful energy stirred by sexual expression.

Anyway... If the Chariot is that which connects Binah ("Understanding") with Geburah ("Severity"), then that helps make sense of its meaning. Understanding is the space in which wisdom and the thing seen (Kether, the Absolute) form a relationship... So the Chariot is the severe, macho, forceful attempt to reach an understanding of the nature of mind. Thus we have the armor, the posture of the fiercely determined yogi, the powerful vehicle... and the vehicle rolls into motion under the harnessed power of the animals which draw it. So this is a card about harnessing and directing energies, the path of yoga, the work of sexual magick. And ultimately, the nature of mind which the Charioteer is attempting to grasp. Thus the Chariot represents the hard approach to dealing with and trying to resolve that question... asceticism, strict discipline, working with powerful energies by trying to get them under willful control.

noby

I like how the little glyph at the top of Chariot icon :)TCHAR) resembles Hadit from the Stele of Revealing. Even though this is likely unintended, it does make sense, as this card is certainly more aligned with the kind of archetypally male energy represented by Hadit than it is with the archetypally female energy represented by Nuit.

Aeon418

noby said:
"Charioting" is a fun and interesting euphemism for the sexual act... I know Crowley was big on sexual magick, but I haven't the faintest clue what exactly is so special or so secret about the mind as it is in the bedroom. But I suppose this is because I have not been much of one to be drawn to the complexity of tantric-style attempts to harness and transmute energy. I find the simple and direct approach of Zen ("just sit") to be clear and powerful. But who knows what I would find if I got into this whole notion of working with energies. Certainly, there is a lot of powerful energy stirred by sexual expression.
Crowley's concept of Sex Magick seems to run through many of the Major cards in the Thoth deck. (Probably all of them.)
The sequence of cards starting with 6 The Lovers and ending with 14 Art is certainly suggestive of something. In the Lovers there is the alchemical/sexual symbolism of the masculine Red Lion and the feminine White Eagle. The next card, 7 The Chariot depicts a male knight bearing the feminine Holy Graal. Card 8 Adjustment has a female figure holding a phallic sword. The next two cards, The Hermit and Fortune are a possible reference to IO. Their union is portrayed in card 11 Lust as the Beast and Babalon conjoined. The next two cards are sacrifice and death. Again sexual symbols. And then at the end of the sequence there is 14 Art. The Lion and the Eagle become mixed together in one substance represented by the two Lovers in one body and by the Lion turning white and the Eagle changing to red.

Solve et Coagula.