Book of Thoth study group?

roppo

raises his hand silently, too.

Very interesting.

Aeon418

Marion said:
So, Aeon418, why don't you try laying out a proposed study plan for discussion? It would be a place to start. Like the idea of the study group, and we have several here who have studied it in depth to keep the thoughts moving.
The first section of the book, The Theory of the Tarot, is neatly divided into three sections, so I suppose we could start working through them. (Section 1: p.4 - 12. Section 2: p.12 - 25. Section 3: p.25 - 48) My only worry is that there is a lot of diverse material in each of the seperate sections so it could get confusing.

The rest of the book is fairly straight forward. It just follows the order of the cards - Major's, Courts, and Minors. So it would be fairly easy to progress through it in an orderly fashion.

rachelcat

I just read Part 1 Section 1 on my lunch hour, so I'm ready to go! Are we going to do new threads for each section?

BrightEye

Aeon418 said:
The first section of the book, The Theory of the Tarot, is neatly divided into three sections, so I suppose we could start working through them. (Section 1: p.4 - 12. Section 2: p.12 - 25. Section 3: p.25 - 48) My only worry is that there is a lot of diverse material in each of the seperate sections so it could get confusing.
Sigh - if we must. Isn't the first part mainly about the Tarot as a depiction of the Universe? He says a lot about Kabbalah, Tree of Life, Tetragrammaton and the elements? This would start in Section 2. Section 1 is about the connection of Tarot to the teachings of the Golden Dawn, Crowley setting himself in context. I don't know how long we should dwell on that.

Ventrue

I personally think that the more you understand Crowley and his belief system the more you will understand the cards. Having a decent understanding of the Qabalah, Tree of Life, some Numerology, and Astrology will also go a long way with dignities between the cards. Besides, we're talking about 36 pages of a 220'ish page book. Anyone that wants to "skip" the discussion of the Introductory portion of the book could do so. It's not like we're on a time schedule, the Book of Thoth isn't going anywhere. hehe

Ven

ZenMusic

I'm in. I've read the BoT, would enjoy a deeper study, and am now just beginning the "Law is for All" ACs commentary on "The Book of the Law" ...

Sheri

I would like to join the group, please. :D I just bought a Thoth Deck and know nothing about Crowley's basis (or metaphysical other than Tarot) - so I don't mind going through the first part of the book to gain an understanding of where he is coming from.

valeria :)

BrightEye

Are we starting a new thread then for part 1 section 1?

badger

im in, i just bought the book last weekend and am struggling thorough the first bit. Its a bit mad to come on here and find theres a study group starting lol