How do you select your cards after shuffling?

buddhagoddess

I am just curious, but how do you select your cards after you have shuffled? Do you cut your deck first and then take just one pile? Do you fan the cards out and select random cards or do you pick the first cards off the top? What I do (and it may sound a bit cooky) is I shuffle, then cut the deck into 3 piles from left to right, select the left deck and put aside the rest. I fan out the cards and then close my eyes. I pass my hand/finger slowly across the cards and when I feel a warm sensation, I let my finger drop. If it happens to land on the edges of two adjoining cards, I select both. It works for me.

What do you do? If you give a reading for someone else, do you have them shuffle/select the way they want or do you give them instructions.

TIA (thanks in advance)

RubyRuby

I usually just shuffle until I'm satisfied. Then I pull cards from the top. If I'm reading witht the querant present, then I will get them to cut the cards or shuffle them, whatever feels comfortable to them, and hand them back to me in one pile, and than pull from the top.

One time I did a reading with the querant present and I needed some clarifications cards so I spread them out and asked them to pick a couple of cards. That didn't really work so well, so I probably won't do that again.

AJ

I shuffle well before I put my decks away, then when I want to use one I shuffle at least 3 times, spread them with my non-dominant hand, draw from that with my non-dominant hand. I never cut the cards, to me that's a poker thing :)

Welcome to the board if I haven't said it before!

AngelC

I just realized I never cut the deck at all.
I just shuffle til it feels right and deal from the top.
Works for me.

Hm, I did try the "make a big pile and shuffle around on the table" method with my Fantastical.
Didn't feel quite right so I gave up on it after a few days.

Jeff

I shuffle until I "feel" that they are all shuffled. Sometimes, I will shuffle, then cut the deck, then shuffle, then cut, etc.

When I feel that they are well mixed, I then may cut the deck another 1-3 times, and begin dealing cards off the top. This is just what works for me. =)

Sulis

I shuffle, cut the deck into 3 piles and restack them -no real reason, that's just how I've always done it.

Then I either fan the cards out and pull from the fan or I pull cards randomly from the deck.

I don't deal from the top because sometimes if I've not shuffled for very long, the same cards will stay together.

Pulling from a fan or just from the deck randomly means that it doesn't really matter how thoroughly I've shuffled.

Genna

I shuffle until the deck "cut itself", then take cards from the top.

Astraea Aurora

Hi buddhagoddess,

welcome on AT. Hope you like it here ... in such a big family round.

I shuffle until it feels right. Sometimes there`s a voice in my head, telling me a number, say 4. Then I shuffle four times and that`s it. Cutting doesn`t work for me, I can`t decide which stack to choose and feeling vibrations or warmthness doesn`t help either.

I sometimes shuffle "all across the table" when I think the deck needs it to be well-mixed.

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

connegrl

I always pick my cards from a fan now. I shuffle while I think about why I'm doing the reading, may or may not cut the deck then fan them out and pick. I always get the right cards, even when I don't shuffle.

Jen

.traveller.

I shuffle then I dead cut for each card.