Tendril: Their Will Be Dreams

Ryan

Re:

+O+ Hi Hudson. Haven't decided that yet. We've painted some cards to experiment, only one of which is available right now, here: http://mvimaedivm.wix.com/ryananschauung#!tendril

[It's the last card of the 6]

I have considered creating both a colour set and a b/w set. What do you think? +O+

HudsonGray

Color always works better, but it's hard to be consistent with backgrounds, the whole deck has to blend enough to have the cards come across as a set.

HOLMES

yes

the void dragon looks cool.

i wouldn't colour for them for the sake of colouring as originally your vision came in black and white.
i would colour them if you feel the colour adds to them.

is it now only 28 cards ?

Ryan

re:

+O+ True Hudson/Holmes. TENDRIL may just require a different approach to using colour, either more sparingly, or just a light wash rather than full bright tints that plaster the entire page. Sometimes a little is better than more - and this may be one of those cases. Still - I'd like to experiment more and test the colours, easy to do since I'm not using the originals to paint with, because I think I'm quite good at colour. Hard to say whether my visions are black and white - I don't think so. its not that simple, the visuals may be toned but there is more than just the visuals that go into crafting these, there are feelings, forces, associations, and some of these are better represented through colours. I view each of these cards not as a drawing but a magical act, I am trying to condense and extract something that will change people's perceptions and each one is very draining.

There is an austerity about using black and white that matches the Sinister expectation, but these cards are not evil any more than they are good - so I'm not interested in matching expectation which is why it's such a difficult project because I can't simply draw Devils, gore, blood, sex and so on in traditional 'satanic' titillating veins because that only reinforces the category of "Satanism" in a stereotypical and ultimately harmful way, wherein I see it as capable of expressing so much more, even as a misinterpretation of something far more sublime beneath such simplistic categories when all it really boils down too is Christians demonizing other Christians. Because of its nature, I suspect full colour may detract from it but it is too early to decide either way - which is why I envision both. I have also considered, making them large [too large to shuffle by hand] for ideal meditation. This may then place them in a new category, outside of Tarot cards, but if the purpose is divination, to Know thyself, to Know the forces that govern superstition, belief, trust, love, fear, form and so on that rule us, complete us, control us - then there is no need to shuffle, only to meditate. For my Tradition, the Tarot cards are just the beginning, a kind of gateway vehicle for beginning greater more complex involved work on the Self which involves living those archetypes and transcending them to experience and explore New archetypes and occult states.

Holmes - yes. Tendril has a very specific purpose and is designed in accordance. So just 28. +O+

Ryan

Card #14 nearly drawn.

‎#38 +O+ THE UNDIVIDUAL - beginning to take shape... Completion of this card will bring me halfway through the 28 drawings required for Tendril...

Attachments

• the undividual half grade 001.jpg
    the undividual half grade 001.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 103

Ryan

Update 13/7

+O+ The UNDIVIDUAL is now finished, and TENDRIL is now at the halfway point. We have been considering our options in regards to printing this deck and have decided to investigate alternate possibilities outside of our usual printer.

We are likely to produce an edition with the full-colour painted images tentatively titled WRAITH, an edition with the original black pencil drawings tentatively titled WRITHE, and to look at two other categories within those two colour choices; of regular sized cards and massive sized cards. Will post more when we know.

Ryan

Project Cancelled

+O+ We've shelved this project for the foreseeable future. Might pick it up again next year.

Alta

Hi Hollow, darkly impressive and passionate images. Your art style has evolved greatly from your NAOS deck. While I admire the black and white images, just curious if you were planning on making them coloured eventually.