Do Tarot Cards Lie?

Lorraine1100

Yes I agree and only time will tell, but although I have lost faith in the tarot I have never entirely given up all hope on it.

As that other kind lady posted - it took 2-3 years for something on her reading to come full circle, Tarotbear said a very similar vein, that only upon looking back and assessing will I see and understand. Maybe that has been my lesson for today.

As Zezina said "That doesn't mean the cards 'tell the truth' or 'tell lies' Such actions are simply what you have been led to expect by those who tout the cards as being able to predict accurately". I think the tarot get bones of it right it is down to us to put meat on it.

It brings it back to square one to me really, I have to trust, have faith and then see how it patterns out oh and stop being impatient. What is utterly maddening is the fact that it seems to come in riddles and rhymes and even going back to 2006 readings, that has not come right. Maybe it will maybe it won't but perhaps there was not much going on in my life at theat time, just plodding on work, home, work home!

punchinella

I can't count the number of times in the last few years tarot has told me I'm pregnant, and other readers have told me I'm likely to become pregnant, and so far . . . to my knowledge, I am still not pregnant :(

What I think is happening is that the cards are picking up on my emotional/mental/spiritual energies which are, yes, very ready to become pregnant. Real-world physical factors aren't always so clearly reflected.

Lorraine, have you tried another, maybe more straightforward, type of oracle?

MissJo

Do I think Tarot lies? No, I think that people can misread the cards, I think that we can want something so much that it affects the cards, and I think that the future is a fickle thing that's ever-changing depending on the choices you make.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've done plenty of readings that have ended up being true. I tend to avoid future readings though (unless I'm doing something that day), and I stick to readings that examine situations and emotions instead. Those have been so true they make me very uncomfortable at times.

Or sometimes I get bored and do readings for fictional characters.... it all depends on my mood.

Zezina

I see Tarot as a wonderful series of visual and historic prompts for an intuitive reader to use. Somewhere to start exploring the client's situation. From there, truths can be uncovered and assistance given.

Pitfalls can be avoided, not because they are predicted by the cards, but because the cards can lead a good reader to uncover the areas of sensitivity, and with wisdom, good counsel can be provided by the reader. For me, this is the value in readings.

But as for a question such as: Will he won't he, etc., you might as well pull the petals off a daisy.

Minotauro

one thing I have noticed is; sometimes when the cards say something is going to happen , they stop trying to make it happen , and think it will just ocur all by itself , because the almighty cards have said so.

and there is also the old ; just seein the future changes it.

SunChariot

For the last two years I have kept very detailed notes on tarot readings done by myself and also what I have paid for professionally (some notes go back to 2006 as well but not conntemperaneous as the last two years).

Suffice to say that none of it has come right. I have gone back to November 2006 and allot of the cards were very positive but yet nothing has occured. Two years ago a reading I had, I was told that I would be moving last year. This year I am still very much here. My situation is not great and yet pretty much nothing in the cards has predicted (apart from the Death card and losing my job back end of last year) what an absolute turmoil I would be in.

So the question is do the cards lie? Everytime I have done them I have been left filled with hope that improvements are just around the corner, yet for the last few years it has been anything but and to be honest it has just gone from bad to worse.

If I was doing these cards myself I qould question myself heavily but when I have paid to have them done (these were very good and highly recommended tarot readers) and nothing has come right then I am left wondering what exactly is going on?

No, Tarot cards do not lie. Of course we can misinterpret them but since this has been happening with more than one reader , that is not likely the main issue.

The first thing is that most of the readings you mentioned were readings about the future. The future is NOT set in stone. It is very much changable, most of the time. In my experience like 90-95 % of the time the future is changeable.

The very most a Tarot reading about the future can do is to tell you the exact future you were heading towards at the exact moment in time the reading was done. That is all that Tarot can do. There are usually many potential futures you could end up at. All the cards can do is tell you the one you were headed towards at the precise moment in tiem the reading was done.

Armed wtih the news of where we are heading, we ourselves can usually purposely decide to change that future. But sometimes also the knowledge given in a reading can accidentally lead us to change our future.

Any change in our thougths or actions or feelings can in theory head us off into a different future. My favourite example of is a person worried about passing in exam in school and they ask the cards if they will pass. And the cards say they will pass with flying colours. So they think Hey they can relax now because they cards say they will do so well and they forgo the studying and then they fail.

There was nothing wrong with teh reading it was precisiely accurate for the moment in time that it was done. They person's worry would have impelled them to study hard adn tha would have lead them to do really well.

But instead when the got the news, they changed their attitude and their actions and that changed their future.

Sometimes just hearing our future does that, It can change our attitude and we may then act in different ways than we would have had we not heart the reading. And any change in attitude or oru feelings or actions can change the future.

It might be something like that at play, do you think?

Most of the time of course readings on the future do play out as predicted, as we tend to be creatures of habit and act in predicatable ways. But this can very much happen,that just hearing the news in a reading can at times change the future.

From what I ihave been hearing here, these readings have filled you with hope. Did you then act differently, not work as hard to create what you wanted as you would have done had you not had the readings because the cards told you what you wanted was already coming?

This could be a part fo the answer.

Also the timing of something is notoriously hard to predict. So many things can change teh timing of when sometning will happen. I actually do not do timing questions for just that reason. So many what what predicted is still going to happen but later than you expected.

Another good use of the cards, I find, instead of asking what future you are mioving towarrds....we can instead ask what steps we can take now that will help us to reach the future we want (or something better).

Babs

Zezina

Did you then act differently, not work as hard to create what you wanted as you would have done had you not had the readings because the cards told you what you wanted was already coming?

SunChariot has, I think, put her finger on a possible truth here.

Grizabella

Minitauro made that point, too, and I think it's a good one. :)

Lorraine1100

Originally Posted by SunChariot View Post
Did you then act differently, not work as hard to create what you wanted as you would have done had you not had the readings because the cards told you what you wanted was already coming?

SunChariot has, I think, put her finger on a possible truth here.

I know but as I said previously when the cards said that I would be able to meet my debts in full I went flat out to sell things on Ebay, selling stuff at car boots etc to make sure that the money was coming in. If I had sat back and done noting then I would agree I failed to keep up my end; which was why I questioned elements on it and why I then started a journey of going back over all my old readings. Maybe what it is saying that at some point I will be able to clear my debts but at that moment in time I was not going to despite what it said!

WalesWoman

We are human and fallible and tend to read what we want to see in the cards, no matter if the cards are saying something much different. Some readers, paid or not, try to put positive spins on cards, so see some cards always as positive no matter what else is going on. Also I think some of the questions that are asked of tarot might be not appropriate... perhaps if there was a "when pigs fly" card, some answers might be clearer.

I don't think tarot can lie, but I do think it can be and is misinterpreted and misunderstood more often than not, especially doing predictive readings because so often it is done during a highly emotional state of anxiety, which is never a good state for thinking logically or seeing reason. In that state is tunnel vision, seeing only what we choose to focus on and totally miss what might otherwise be obvious.

I've only had one paid reading, at the time I didn't quite relate to it, had some ideas what it might pertain to, but it pretty much has played out as the cards were laid out, not quite like reader interpreted it, she was going pretty much by the literal book meanings, yet things were exactly the way the cards said it would be. Most of us are only readers, not Delphi oracles and read within our ability or lack thereof.