1JJ Swiss

Sumada

More 1JJ info

Well this thread sure made me get out my 1JJ decks and have a very good look.

I have three, a 1940's copy with French titles, a late '60s/early '70's copy with French titles, and a 1993 copy with German titles. They ALL have "IIII" on Cups and Coins, and "IV" on Swords and Batons. But when it comes to the 9s, only Cups has "VIIII", the other three suits have "IX", (and yet there would have been space for "VIIII" on the Batons, although not on Coins or Swords).

Another thing I noticed was an erratic use of a full stop after some of the numbers; the IV. of Swords; the VI. of Cups; the VIIII. of Cups; the IX. of Batons; and the IX. of Swords. No other numbers have the full stop. This was consistant across all three decks.

Now, those extra little numbers at the bottom of Batons, Swords and Coins. They all follow the exact same pattern of use as the large 4s and 9s do, and yet they all have a full stop.

BUT, of course, the 1940's deck doesn't have those little numbers at all, because it was made for "playing" Tarot trick-taking card games, such as Troccas and Troggu, where it does not matter which way up the cards fall. I suspect it wasn't until some time in the 1960's, when divination with Tarot started to become popular, that Muller started printing these cards with those little 'orientation' numbers.

I have read that this was the deck that started Stuart Kaplan's fascination with Tarot, and the first deck that he imported into the U.S., but he was not the first to do so. My 1940's deck-box bears an additional label from "Wehman Bros. Publishers, 712 Broadway, New York 3, N.Y.", and also has two tax labels that look like postage stamps. There is no copyright symbol or statement anywhere, and the shield on trump IIII, L'Empereur, just says "Fabrique des Cartes", with no mention of J. Muller & Cie., which appears on the later decks. Even my 60's/70's deck does not have any copyright marks. But every card in the '93 deck has, (C) 1974 AG Muller.

As I do not have a copy with English titles, can anyone please tell me if, and/or what, any copyright info on the cards might be? It wouldn't surprise me if at some point decks were printed with, (C) US Games.

Le Fanu

oh I'm sooooo glad my two 1JJ Swiss decks (early 80s, French titles) don't have copyright symbols!

Chiska

Well this thread sure made me get out my 1JJ decks and have a very good look.

As I do not have a copy with English titles, can anyone please tell me if, and/or what, any copyright info on the cards might be? It wouldn't surprise me if at some point decks were printed with, (C) US Games.

OooH! 1940's?! Wow. I had no idea of the history of this 1JJ deck. I shall have to learn more. And I hadn't noticed the "full stop" on the cards - and it is inconsistent with the Trumps, as well.

My cards have no copyright on them, but the little pamphlet has "Copyright (C) 1970 by S. R. Kaplan." The box just has "Distributed Exclusively by US Games Systems, Inc., New York, NY. Made in Switzerland." On the other end: "Tarot Cards 1JJ AG Muller-CIE, Neuhausen and Rheinfall Switzerland."

oh I'm sooooo glad my two 1JJ Swiss decks (early 80s, French titles) don't have copyright symbols!

So these decks came with non-French titles??

I am quite ignorant of TdM type decks and their histories. I do love the decks and the pips, though.

Richard

In my French deck, a few of the titles are terminated with a full stop:

JUPITER.
ROI DE BÂTON.
LE DIABLE.
JUNON.
L'AMOUREAUX.
LE MAT.

The 78th Fool

This was also the first deck I bought back in 1980. I have two copies with French titles (my original in its wonderful solid box with lift off lid) and a copy with English titles. I'm intrigued by this however:

http://www.a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02971/d02971.htm

It would appear that Juno and Jupiter were later additions to the deck. Have a look at the 1870 edition shown at the bottom of the page. I've also attached the Pope and Popess cards below. I'd love one of these old copies! What a shame the modern editions don't include the Pope and Popess as alternative cards.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• 1jj_popess.jpg
    1jj_popess.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 1jj_pope.jpg
    1jj_pope.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 115

Chiska

This was also the first deck I bought back in 1980. I have two copies with French titles (my original in its wonderful solid box with lift off lid) and a copy with English titles. I'm intrigued by this however:

http://www.a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02971/d02971.htm

It would appear that Juno and Jupiter were later additions to the deck. Have a look at the 1870 edition shown at the bottom of the page. I've also attached the Pope and Popess cards below. I'd love one of these old copies! What a shame the modern editions don't include the Pope and Popess as alternative cards.

Chris. xx

Thanks for the link! I love the site when I can get it to "work" for me. But I haven't quite figured out the system there yet.

What was it called before the addition of Juno & Jupiter? The notes at Trionfi said that the JJ stood for Juno and Jupiter.

I also like the name for the Tower - the House of God.

My deck has two blank cards - I was surprised, normally wouldn't there be a publisher's card? I guess I assume that if the blank cards are still with the set that any publisher cards would be as well.